Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Coolant Flush

14K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  linard 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I am going to be trying to do a coolant flush on my own and was wondering a few things. First of all, is there a "full" mark inside the radiator, or otherwise how full do I fill it? Also, is there a crush washer or anything on the drain bolt like the oil drain bolt? I just want to make sure I have everything I need before I do the work.

Thanks!

#5 ·
Thanks rodzghost. Have you done a coolant flush before? Do I really need to take off all the panels on the front right side or can I just take off that black interior panel that is directly above the radiator cap? I looked at the service manual but I still don't really have very strong technical/mechanical skills and I don't really understand the diagram which addresses removing the panels.

#6 ·
I fill the radiator cap to fill the bike after a flush. fill it to the top then cap it and run the bike a little. For the R1, you have to "burp" the bike after you fill it. The R3 most likely the same. I just got the R3 and still building it so I havent done this yet but there is no harm in trying it also.

Once full, start the bike. While running just crack open the drain screw. You will hear air coming out and then once water comes out close the drain screw. Usually makes a vacuum noise until all the air is out.

Shut the bike off, let it cool a little bit then top off one more time. Take the bike for a spin, then let it cool, check level one more time. Should be filled to the top of the radiator cap.

Consider spending $30 on an aftermarket radiator cap from Spears racing. This helps keep it cool and is also made stronger. I already noticed on these R3s the stock radiator cap is make poorly.

#9 · (Edited)
What year is your R3? If you are within the model year and VIN range that the newest Yamaha R3 recall applies to, you get a coolant change for FREE from Yamaha, as they replace the defective rad hose they installed.

Jim G
THANKS YOU!! i was wondering what was going on with my bike.
R3 2015 model, purchased in 2016 .
only had 200Km on it, and last ridden summer 2017, yet no coolant left!

Coolant is at the minimum line. Was scratching my head for days wondering what happened and i couldnt find any leak stains.. must have evaporated through the defect hose I suppose sitting idle for 1.5 years?

I am going to get the recall done this week.

I see the Coolant at the Min level indicator, do you think i should be okay to drive the bike to the dealership (12.4 kms away)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.