Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!

The coolant in the reservoir in my R3 seems to be below the minimum mark. When it is on its side stand then it's just in the middle between minimum and maximum mark but on a rear stand is way below the minimum. I never noticed any leak and I am not sure how long it has been this way as It's been a while since I checked it last time.

I bought some coolant (Castro Motorcycle Coolant - Blue http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/51748)

The question is: Can I just top up the coolant reservoir without bleeding the existing coolant? (I think it only needs about 0.1 - 0.2 litres to get between min and max mark.)

Technically I could change the whole coolant, but I only have 1 litre of coolant at the moment, while the whole coolant system is 1.21 L ( Coolant reservoir 0.25 L + Radiator including all routes 0.96 L)

Any advice would be great!

Thanks lads! ;)

Zadeika

·
Registered
406 Posts
It must be still under warranty take it back to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Zadeika - just top it off with water or coolant, you should be fine. Some coolant loss over time is expected, especially in hotter climes.
Devilfishes - no radiator drain per se, bottom bolt of water pump (the one with the copper washer) is the coolant system drain.

See also Owner's Manual pages 7-13 and -14

·
Registered
116 Posts
major coolant leak

This is what happens when you buy things form eBay. I install the right side engine slider last weekend and one of the bolts for the slider goes into the same place as the bolt that secures the round coolant piece. I noticed drops of coolants coming out when I took the bolt out but figured once I put the new bolt in place it'll be good.
Guess I was wrong because I went riding today and it leak coolant!!

Are there any instruction to refill the coolant? Also want kind should I get and the type of mixture I need. Would it be like 50/50 etc like in car?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Buy some "engine ice" and call it a day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts