Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am not an engine guy but I love my motorcycle. I have been riding it for quite some time and did the warranty on the bike that was required from Yamaha about 3 months ago. When I got the bike I did not readily see a problem but now have noticed that I have a slow oil leak. I was told by the shop that it's coming from the counter shaft seal. I do not know where this is located on the bike at all but the leak was present at the very bottom of the engine coming from the left-hand side. I could not see its origin due to the fairings. I am being told that in order to get to this leak the engine needs to come apart. I am very worried about this seeing as the bike is not even a year old. Should I be worried and trust the shop? Or are they just looking to bill out warranty work?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Not familiar with the R3 countershaft seal, however, I have replaced several on Japanese bikes and it is a simple repair that takes about 30 minutes. Pull the front sprocket cover, pull the front sprocket, pop out the seal and replace. A leaking counter shaft seal is usually the result of the chain adjusted too tight. Some motorcycle dealers do a lousy job of bike setup, and it would not surprise me if the bike came off the showroom floor with the chain adjusted too tight.

Unusual for a seal to fail in one year for any other reason.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If the Counter shaft seal is replaceable from the outside which looks like it is, you should be careful when using a tool to remove the seal so that you do not scratch either surface it seals against. I usually use a dulled pick which has a 90 degree angle to it if I can pulling evenly around until the seal comes out. I have not done it on the R3 and have not gone and looked at it on the bike but from the microfiche you shouldnt need to pull the motor to do this work.

·
Registered
78 Posts
the R3 accumulates chain oil in the cover. and can look like a very slow leak. if I was you take of the front sprocket cover clean it all. and see if there really is one. bike is too new IMO to have a front seal leak

1 - 4 of 4 Posts