Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Proud owner of a new R3. Wondering if anyone has recommendations on a good bike cover. During "good" weather seasons, it'll most likely spend most of its time outdoors, so water proofing pretty much a must.

Prefer not to spend too much if at all possible.

Thanks!

·
Registered
732 Posts
I'm looking as well. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but in my search, the Dowco Guardian WeatherAll Motorcycle Cover is what I am leaning toward. I am wodering how the Dowco "Sport Bike" size fits the R3. Also, it's an inclement weather model, so I'm wondering how heavy duty it is. I want something pretty protexctive but not to the point that it's bulky, heavy, and difficult to work with.

Revzilla has it for $79.04. Dowco Guardian WeatherAll Motorcycle Coverr

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the Dowco Guardian in Sport Bike size as I don't have access to a garage. It does a good job, just don't put the cover on if the bike is already wet since it just traps the moisture. It's less than ideal for me since my first bike was garaged but it's much better than leaving it exposed to the elements.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have the Dowco Guardian in Sport Bike size as I don't have access to a garage. It does a good job, just don't put the cover on if the bike is already wet since it just traps the moisture. It's less than ideal for me since my first bike was garaged but it's much better than leaving it exposed to the elements.
So you'd recommend it? Did you look at other covers? Why did you settle on the Dowco? Did you get the Weather Plus?

·
Registered
48 Posts
So you'd recommend it? Did you look at other covers? Why did you settle on the Dowco? Did you get the Weather Plus?
I'd recommend it, the only other ways I'd store a bike would be a garage, of course. A storage unit that you could walk to or the management would allow you to park at, or a motorcycle enclosure with full floor and great venting (~$400 and basically permanent). I looked at most of the mainstream options available but a lot of them had feedback of wearing quicky and ripping or allowing moisture to settle on the bike.

The Dowco Weatherall Plus has the large clutch side vent that seems to do a good enough job, it takes steady downpouring for multiple days for water to get through the cover and was highly reccomended on the CBR250R forum I was on and Revzilla. I'm pretty sure I could get a hydrophopic fabric spray and I wouldn't have anymore issues with water penetration (guess a trip to Walmart is in order tomorrow). It's also nice that the rear side panels are heat protected, it allows you to throw the bike under the cover while hot. It's a pretty nice cover but nothing will ever beat a garage. I've used it for about a year now on two bikes and it has no signs of wear.

The part of the cover that would touch the windshield is also of a different fabric, supposedly it doesn't scratch an OEM shield. Mine has light scratches but I mainly use a matte paint quick detailer and microfiber towels. I've only given it about 4 full washes with 2 buckets, MF towels and matte shampoo. I just ordered a Zero Gravity shield, they are less prone to scratching and can be polished if scratches do show up.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Will it be outside for storage or just a cover you can slip on and off each time you ride?
The half covers are nice and much more compact to pack or cover and remove when out 'n about but a complete cover is nice to. Both should be waterproof and they also sell 3m waterproofing spray.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm looking as well. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but in my search, the Dowco Guardian WeatherAll Motorcycle Cover is what I am leaning toward. I am wodering how the Dowco "Sport Bike" size fits the R3. Also, it's an inclement weather model, so I'm wondering how heavy duty it is. I want something pretty protexctive but not to the point that it's bulky, heavy, and difficult to work with.

Revzilla has it for $79.04. Dowco Guardian WeatherAll Motorcycle Coverr

Thanks, I was looking for a cover and with your recommendation went for this one. Arrived super fast and it is a very good quality and easy to put it on the bike. It rained heavily for the last 2 days and very satisfied with this cover.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts