Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was out 2 days ago with a riding buddy of mine, and we went to some local twisties and after and hour and a half of them pushing our current skill levels or whatever we decided to head back home. On a usual turn to enter the freeway that I'm very familiar with I chose to take it faster than usual to lean more for fun, however doing so caused me to scrape the muffler which bounced me up and ****** me up.

Here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmnYrgVLs4E

Pictures:
http://imgur.com/a/zgfdO

So 3 things that I know I did wrong.

1) Going faster than needed
2) Not accounting for muffler to ground distance on a downwards turn
3)Target fixating after I felt like I was doomed

·
Registered
223 Posts
Shouldn't your footpegs scrape before your muffler? I don't ride the R3 enough to know its ground clearance as its not my motorcycle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Shouldn't your footpegs scrape before your muffler? I don't ride the R3 enough to know its ground clearance as its not my motorcycle.
Imagine going downhill, your back tier is closer to the ground, and this ugly ass fat muffler touched the ground and hit an uneven part which jolted me up super hard.

I suggest you fellow r3 riders keep that in mind.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that should have never happened , hope your ok, bike's fixable
Thanks bro, other than a bruise on my left outer thigh and sore left arm and slightly swollen ribs on my right not much happened and I've been riding still.

Now as for fixing this up, I need to figure out what these parts are called and check the cost no more than 300 I assume, since I'm not buying the same muffler, I'm looking into other things for that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
glad your ok. could of been worse. doesn't seem to be any mechanical damage. don't go to dealer they charge a lot to fix the fairings and stuff.
also good that your wearing gear.

·
Registered
326 Posts
No offense but you need to work on your lines. Glad you came out well. Could of been much worse.

·
Registered
87 Posts
This is the reason people hang off the bike. the more of your weight, particularly from the waist up that you push to the inside, the less lean angle is required. I'm glad you're OK! Hope you and your bike are back in shape soon.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Glad your Ok thats some scary ****. The Rail that is. I like the hang off the bike above comment. You seemed to speed up into the turn instead of out of the turn. I went to my doctor yesterday and took my R3. Beverly Hills area. Almost got run down a few times crazy phone /text people out there. 15 years ago probable safer out there for everyone on the road. There was a ambulance way back behind me. and I was in the left turn lane light tuns yellow. I wait I wait big truck approaches towards me opposite direction. Slams on the breaks at light and smokes his tires the whole bit. I calmly finish my left turn. And pull over to the side. the ambulance turned before the intersection near Cedars Sini. I learned to stay out of the cars blind spot I speed up or slow down so I'm not next to them. Be safe everyone out there.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Glad your Ok thats some scary ****. The Rail that is. I like the hang off the bike above comment. You seemed to speed up into the turn instead of out of the turn. I went to my doctor yesterday and took my R3. Beverly Hills area. Almost got run down a few times crazy phone /text people out there. 15 years ago probable safer out there for everyone on the road. There was a ambulance way back behind me. and I was in the left turn lane light tuns yellow. I wait I wait big truck approaches towards me opposite direction. Slams on the breaks at light and smokes his tires the whole bit. I calmly finish my left turn. And pull over to the side. the ambulance turned before the intersection near Cedars Sini. I learned to stay out of the cars blind spot I speed up or slow down so I'm not next to them. Be safe everyone out there.
The pipe does seem to stick out a lot. Im going to change mine soon. $300-$500 range.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The pipe does seem to stick out a lot. Im going to change mine soon. $300-$500 range.
I glad you put this video out. It teaches us this stuff can happen to anyone. didn't look like you were leaning that much. Im glad Ive seen your video it will definitely help a lot of people be more carful in there right turns.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Trust me on this, you did NOT scrape the muffler on a turn. You hit the footpeg feeler and it spooked you. It happens. You and the bike survived which is good. See if Lee Parks Total Control Advanced Rider Course is 9ffered near you and take it. The scuffs on the muffler can be sanded out and you can repaint the muffler with Rustoleum high heat pain. I know this from first hand experience. I lowsided on brand new, unscuffed tires. I've been riding for 30 years, stuff happens, if we learn from it, it's all good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No offense but you need to work on your lines. Glad you came out well. Could of been much worse.
None taken, this was coming back from some practice on the easy twisties around my city, as you can see I need some more work lmao.

This is the reason people hang off the bike. the more of your weight, particularly from the waist up that you push to the inside, the less lean angle is required. I'm glad you're OK! Hope you and your bike are back in shape soon.
Oh yeah, I'm not use to it since it's such an upright position I didn't really think to do that, I'll start making this a habit..

Yeah, I speed up as soon as I entered it to lean a bit more for fun, which in hindsight is a super bad idea.

I want a whole exhaust that comes out from the bottom but I doubt they'll ever make one for the R3.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Very brave of you to post this video and analyze what went wrong. Many new riders on this forum and you did a great service to all. You admitted to target fixation. That and bad line going into the curve is what happened here. As another poster stated, I think you got spooked by the peg hitting. Muffler scraping was after the fact. This was a "good" accident. Minor injuries, minor cosmetics to the bike, hit to your pride, but you will remember this experience for the rest of your riding days. Now, make sure that this is the worst accident that you ever have.

·
Registered
856 Posts
My muffler grinds heavily every corner, but ive moved the pegs to a very extreme position.

With good BP, knee should touch first before any hard parts,
when it does grind and knee is skimming, move helmet (your head weighs heaps)

Track training is the answer.

But hindsight is a wonderful thing, everyone can be a Mondays expert.

Glad you didn't lose a leg on that nasty Armco.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Very brave of you to post this video and analyze what went wrong. Many new riders on this forum and you did a great service to all. You admitted to target fixation. That and bad line going into the curve is what happened here. As another poster stated, I think you got spooked by the peg hitting. Muffler scraping was after the fact. This was a "good" accident. Minor injuries, minor cosmetics to the bike, hit to your pride, but you will remember this experience for the rest of your riding days. Now, make sure that this is the worst accident that you ever have.
Trust me on this, you did NOT scrape the muffler on a turn. You hit the footpeg feeler and it spooked you. It happens. You and the bike survived which is good. See if Lee Parks Total Control Advanced Rider Course is 9ffered near you and take it. The scuffs on the muffler can be sanded out and you can repaint the muffler with Rustoleum high heat pain. I know this from first hand experience. I lowsided on brand new, unscuffed tires. I've been riding for 30 years, stuff happens, if we learn from it, it's all good.

The reason I'm 100% sure I scraped the muffler and not the peg is because the footpeg has no damage on it and after that sound my bike jolted super hard to the left like super hard and I lost a **** ton of traction in the back tier, that air sucking noise I make is me preparing for the worst since I felt like that was it I was going to crash.

I'll go back to that place Tuesday and take pictures of the place and show you why the muffler would touch before anything else.

Though my lines are super **** hahaha.
"Lee Parks Total Control Advanced Rider Course" will check it out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You're flat out wrong!. The muffler will not touch before the footpegs. If you didnt reposition your feet on the pegs, it's even more likely that you touched your foot. Google "Yamaha r3 full lean" and see how far over these bikes can go without draggi g parts. Your bile was nowhere near over that far. I am trying to help you. This forum is running on kindergarten software and not letting me share photos.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ponder this, racers install rearsets as one of the first modifications to gain ground clearance. There is NOT ONE exhaust system for the R3 that is being marketed as solving the problem of the stock exhaust dragging and causes crashes. That's because the stock system doesn't drag. If you keep blaming the design of the bike, you will not learn anything from what happened. I have crashed 3 times since 1985. I blame myself for each crash even the one where a guy made a left hand turn into me (l should have anticipated his actions).

·
Registered
856 Posts
Do I have to post a pic if the weld on my stock system for ppl to believe that it scrapes?

Scratches like a crack Ho

Long before the (Improved) Hero knobs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts