Yamaha R3 Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
I do a lot of similar speeding up to enter right turn(somewhere I can push myself for practice without much risk, I stay on the inner lane and good distance even if I get on high side. No cars are nearby and I got plenty of curb both sides) for a novice rider(most daunting thing I do for bike..... I barely speed or even lane split yet). Notice a couple things I could do to anticipate/get out of situation
Lean way more. When I had my MSF course, the instructors could lean on a poorly maintained bike like you see racers entering corner, you should be able to lean way more than what you think you could on this bike(sports bike get deeper lean angle than cruiser)
I chicken out sometimes and just slow down and adjust -> enter the corner again if I leaned too little from sitting too upright, every time I do it I just regretted myself for not leaning more. but still made it both ways
Line sets you up a lot for leaning into the corner, counter steering, tuck yourself, weight transfer, leaning etc, doing on the street might not be the best idea. I still leave myself at 50% or 70% of my limit at the most even driving with no one's around. You never know what happen in the corner unless you were just there 30seconds ago from riding back and forth

but glad youre ok, bike is definitely fixable and gear saves your butt there

·
Registered
61 Posts
First off, your ok and that's the number one issue.
Second, take those foot peg feelers off today!!!
Third and please I mean this with good intentions, buy a Keith Code twist of the wrist book yesterday, read it ten times. I have been riding for 30 years and picked up tons of great advice. Please read the book, you will PM me and thank me when you do.

I also know the turn you went down on, message me anytime to ride the hills and get some pointers. I really want to do a R3's only video.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Glad you are ok! I commented on your YouTube video directly, but I'll repeat it here....it looks like you accelerated before the apex, which had you going in way too hot for your skill level. Something scraped and spooked you, and you straightened-up and headed for the barrier. It's fortunate that no cars or other traffic was behind you, and wearing gear was smart because it protected you (though getting real riding pants will help in a crash, since jeans don't offer much protection).

Remember, slow-in, fast(er) out, especially as you're learning. Once you're able to really lean the bike you can do a later apex before tipping it in, but slow-in, fast-out is a good thing to remember.

Glad you're alright and that the bike was able to take you back home.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
First off, your ok and that's the number one issue.
Second, take those foot peg feelers off today!!!
Third and please I mean this with good intentions, buy a Keith Code twist of the wrist book yesterday, read it ten times. I have been riding for 30 years and picked up tons of great advice. Please read the book, you will PM me and thank me when you do.

I also know the turn you went down on, message me anytime to ride the hills and get some pointers. I really want to do a R3's only video.
I will take those off and I've had his book for a while now and watched twist of the wrist it does have good info and I try to recall it when I ride, buutttt I'm just a bit of a dick head.

Glad you are ok! I commented on your YouTube video directly, but I'll repeat it here....it looks like you accelerated before the apex, which had you going in way too hot for your skill level. Something scraped and spooked you, and you straightened-up and headed for the barrier. It's fortunate that no cars or other traffic was behind you, and wearing gear was smart because it protected you (though getting real riding pants will help in a crash, since jeans don't offer much protection).

Remember, slow-in, fast(er) out, especially as you're learning. Once you're able to really lean the bike you can do a later apex before tipping it in, but slow-in, fast-out is a good thing to remember.

Glad you're alright and that the bike was able to take you back home.
I didn't go straight home after the crash, I was a tab bit angry and turned around and did the turn like 5 times after that at different speeds to kinda instill this don't let this make me be scared of future turns. Was prob a bad idea.

I think I need to find a mentor or something because I'm really not good at not pushing my luck.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts