Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm finally picking up my R3 tonight and I'm super excited! My brother and I are riding the bikes home instead of trailering them. My only concern is that I've never had the chance to ride a sport bike, I learned on a 250 cruiser and took the MSF course on a 250 cruiser. My question is how easily will my riding skill transfer over to a brand new Sportbike? I don't want to make a fool of myself riding out of the dealership parking lot ? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
34 Posts
You should be just fine. I also used a cruiser for my MSF and also rode my new R3 home from the dealer. (88 miles worth)

Seating position is obviously different and you will probably notice a little more torque when you start out.

Ride safe and enjoy!!!

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Hey guys! I'm finally picking up my R3 tonight and I'm super excited! My brother and I are riding the bikes home instead of trailering them. My only concern is that I've never had the chance to ride a sport bike, I learned on a 250 cruiser and took the MSF course on a 250 cruiser. My question is how easily will my riding skill transfer over to a brand new Sportbike? I don't want to make a fool of myself riding out of the dealership parking lot ? Thanks guys!
I went from a Honda Shadow to the R3 with no problem at all.
The R3 is way more fun to ride but the Shadow was super comfy on long rides.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You're going to fight with the steering when doing slow turns and such (the bike seemingly wants to fall over when you steer at 5mph). So watch out for the parking lot maneuvers.

Weight on your hands might be an issue, just grip the tank with your knees and try to keep your arms and hands loose.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
The R3 was designed for new riders. It's super easy to ride. It's light and narrow. Low seat height.
I have no idea how people drop an R3. The riding position is very upright.
The R3 is the LEAST intimidating bike I have ever ridden. Think of it as a little scooter, that looks like a sportbike!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I took the MSF on a triumph 250, you should be fine. Just remember, the brakes on your R3 will be better with more stopping power and the R3 mirrors are a bit limited in what you can see over your shoulders.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cruiser to sportbike?
Remember to rely more on your front brake, rather than on your rear (as with cruisers). The weight of sportbikes is biased more towards the front, making the rear brake pretty useless (unless iffy terrain, gravel, stop signs, etc.) and even dangerous (fish-tailing).

·
Registered
267 Posts
I toof my MSF course on a TW200(dual sport), and I felt fine with position and such going on test rides on the R3 (and Ninja 300, CBr300r, CB300F...). It is a little harder to do a U-turn, but otherwise I didn't have any other issues. I do love a solid footpeg like the R3 has, that was a nice bonus.
I test rode a new Kawasaki Vulcan because the only other cruiser I've ever ridden was a Honda Rebel like 10yrs ago. Of the cruisers, I like the style on the Vulcan. Turns out I don't enjoy the ride as much though. Legs forward ain't my thing, hard to get my toe under to shift up, and I felt the bumps in the road through my back and not legs. Fine bike though, just not for me. I will say though, I had no problems getting the mirrors adjusted. That was nice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts