Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I've just bought a YZF-R3 2017 model (they changed the colour and thats about it I think) and am looking into some lowering options. I've had a search around the forums and interwebs and found a few different guides and options, but everything is no longer available where I look.

Bike only needs to go down 1.5 to 2 inches, and I've kinda come down to either:
  • A grom spring? Ones from the guide (JP-Cycles) seem to be out of stock plus 3 inches seems like an almost dangerous drop. But that's coming from a semi-experience rider for a noob who wont be really dragging knee at all I suppose it would be ok
  • Krooztune - Looks the part, but expensive and not sure 30mm is enough of a drop.
  • Lowering links (from T-rex racing) never been sure on lowering links coming from a dirtbike background, and the pictures I've seen leave very little clearance which makes me uneasy.
  • Other options? Go spend a small fortune getting custom suspension work done I suppose lol

Keen to hear from people :)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I've just bought a YZF-R3 2017 model (they changed the colour and thats about it I think) and am looking into some lowering options. I've had a search around the forums and interwebs and found a few different guides and options, but everything is no longer available where I look.

Bike only needs to go down 1.5 to 2 inches, and I've kinda come down to either:
  • A grom spring? Ones from the guide (JP-Cycles) seem to be out of stock plus 3 inches seems like an almost dangerous drop. But that's coming from a semi-experience rider for a noob who wont be really dragging knee at all I suppose it would be ok
  • Krooztune - Looks the part, but expensive and not sure 30mm is enough of a drop.
  • Lowering links (from T-rex racing) never been sure on lowering links coming from a dirtbike background, and the pictures I've seen leave very little clearance which makes me uneasy.
  • Other options? Go spend a small fortune getting custom suspension work done I suppose lol

Keen to hear from people :)
I don't think dragging knee has anything to do with why you would want to keep the spring the correct length. Changing the geometry drastically changes handling characteristics which could be dangerous. So, I wouldnt say it's ok. If you still decide yes you are going to go ahead and drop it that far by altering the shock, you will need to start changing the front to try and even out the bike.

Why bring it down so low? It's already pretty low to begin with. Consider a premade lowered seat instead? What ever you do for th suspension, make sure it's sprung correctly for your weight. Which goes back to your statement on the Grom spring. Assuming it does fit, I highly doubt that would be the correct spring, as the Grom weighs significantly less than th R3.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
Hey there and welcome! I gather that you've read this thread already because you've hit all the options except for one - the spring cap which also lowers the bike (but not much), while retaining all the stock components.

http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/713-yamaha-r3-how-diy/3858-can-lowered.html

It's a long thread so you can skip towards the end where I found this spring cap. It wouldn't give you the lowering you are looking for but it is another option.

Essentially, unless you can find a spring and shock combo that will work (and I don't like the Grom option because to me it would likely wear out quickly as its designed for a much smaller bike), there is no easy way to lower the R3 without some kind of compromise.

T-Rex links made me nervous due to how close they get to the rear wheel.

Krooztune is a great option but I think the stock spring isn't really the best - I'd prefer something that is a bit more progressive (or maybe a better shock at least that doesn't cost a fortune).

I think cheapest and quickest option out there would be to find a spring that fits the stock shock but is a little lower. Or a spring / shock combo that does both while improving the ride.

There was another thread where a guy named spacetiger tells you all you will ever want to know about the rear shock and spring:

http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/562-suspension/129833-2016-oem-rear-shock-testing-baselining.html

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think dragging knee has anything to do with why you would want to keep the spring the correct length. Changing the geometry drastically changes handling characteristics which could be dangerous. So, I wouldnt say it's ok. If you still decide yes you are going to go ahead and drop it that far by altering the shock, you will need to start changing the front to try and even out the bike.

Why bring it down so low? It's already pretty low to begin with. Consider a premade lowered seat instead? What ever you do for th suspension, make sure it's sprung correctly for your weight. Which goes back to your statement on the Grom spring. Assuming it does fit, I highly doubt that would be the correct spring, as the Grom weighs significantly less than th R3.
I agree, I think the grom spring is a bad idea and would lower it to much. But it does seem to be the easiest and cheapest fix.

Premade lowered seat would IMO be ideal and might even be enough, but I haven't found any. That coupled with the krooztune shock I think would be the best option.

Kinda comes down to what is actually around to buy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the spring cap which also lowers the bike (but not much), while retaining all the stock components.

T-Rex links made me nervous due to how close they get to the rear wheel.

Krooztune is a great option but I think the stock spring isn't really the best - I'd prefer something that is a bit more progressive (or maybe a better shock at least that doesn't cost a fortune).

I think cheapest and quickest option out there would be to find a spring that fits the stock shock but is a little lower. Or a spring / shock combo that does both while improving the ride.

There was another thread where a guy named spacetiger tells you all you will ever want to know about the rear shock and spring:

http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/562-suspension/129833-2016-oem-rear-shock-testing-baselining.html

Hope that helps!
Thanks mate :) Agreed with the lowering links, I'd be fine if it was me but not someone else.

Spring cap looks like a half decent option, although pretty darn pricey for a piece cnced metal.

I did manage to find the low-cut saddleman gel seats on revzilla which have reasonable Aus shipping. I'll start there and have emailed krooze about spring options, hopfully should have a solid plan of action by the next week!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I agree, I think the grom spring is a bad idea and would lower it to much. But it does seem to be the easiest and cheapest fix.

Premade lowered seat would IMO be ideal and might even be enough, but I haven't found any. That coupled with the krooztune shock I think would be the best option.

Kinda comes down to what is actually around to buy.
Anunaki, one of th forum vendors sells custom seats. I do t remember for sure, but I believe thinner ones are available.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Thanks mate :) Agreed with the lowering links, I'd be fine if it was me but not someone else.

Spring cap looks like a half decent option, although pretty darn pricey for a piece cnced metal.

I did manage to find the low-cut saddleman gel seats on revzilla which have reasonable Aus shipping. I'll start there and have emailed krooze about spring options, hopfully should have a solid plan of action by the next week!
I think the"low cut" saddlemen are actually pretty close to, if not the same thickness as stock. Bird can give more details as he just had one up for sale a few days ago.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My question is why?

Are you VERY short?

I have short legs 30" inseam which is about as short as you can buy lots of adult male pants in the USA(I have seen 28 and 29, but more rare than 30").

I can flat foot the bike.

My friend who is 5'4" can tip toe the bike and if she had to stop for a long time she would have to shift weight to one foot.

I am with all of the above, simply lowering the rear 2" will completely destroy the handling of the bike to the point it could be dangerous. If you cant drop the front and level out the bike, simply dropping the rear, IMO is not really an option.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My question is why?

Are you VERY short?

I have short legs 30" inseam which is about as short as you can buy lots of adult male pants in the USA(I have seen 28 and 29, but more rare than 30").

I can flat foot the bike.

My friend who is 5'4" can tip toe the bike and if she had to stop for a long time she would have to shift weight to one foot.

I am with all of the above, simply lowering the rear 2" will completely destroy the handling of the bike to the point it could be dangerous. If you cant drop the front and level out the bike, simply dropping the rear, IMO is not really an option.
It's my girlfriends bike and she's 5'1" lol. Also had every intention of dropping the front abit to match the rear.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
I wonder if you could install a shock with a shorter stroke but cut one of the coils off the stock spring? I don't know what that would do to the spring rate though. Or as I suggested earlier, if you can find a spring with the same / similar rate and a shock to match, that would be the best way to go. Or, maybe find a way to adapt the links on the back. I haven't heard anything negative on the T Rex links (and there are folks here using them regularly) so maybe that might be the way to go? Since your gf is so small, the Grom shock might actually work for her since she would be so light. I don't know - but everything that anyone has ever done is listed in the link above so if you do find something else, please post here because I'm sure there are others that will want to know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got my girlfriend 2015 R3 how is a pretty tall so we got it lower what's the screaming one and a half inches but it's still a little bit tough for her as anything else that we can do so get it a little bit lower for her

1 - 12 of 12 Posts