Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
R3 is a great looking bike but I think they could of used just a little less black plastic. There is an upside to this, it makes R3 owners create some awesome designs and decals.
Here's mine:)

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Man you bike looks sweet. I totally agree, I also "painted" (plastidipped) most of the black fairings. I eventually continued the white just like you did with the silver, and painted the black piece at the knee red.

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Looks great Benji. I went a little different route and swapped out the silver fairings.
I think both of your bikes look awesome! I wish i shelled the money out for the full akra exhaust but i have car payments as well haha. Anyway i think im going to either vinyl wrap with carbon fiber accents or plastidip the fairings like you guys. Keep up the great ideas.

·
Registered
6 Posts
R3 is a great looking bike but I think they could of used just a little less black plastic. There is an upside to this, it makes R3 owners create some awesome designs and decals.
Here's mine:)
Looks awesome!
I wanted to do the same thing to mine.

How was the color match?
Which paint did you go with?

Thanks!

·
Registered
117 Posts
The painted silver bike looks great, What silver paint did you use to paint the S portion of the fairing. Is it a custom match or did you find something that matches right out of the can? What brand and color of paint did you use. I've wanted to do this but didn't want to risk it not matching.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used off the shelf Silver Rust-Oleum 2x ultra cover paint. Bonds to plastic very well. You need to let it cure for at least 5 days to go really hard. Not a 100% match but very close. No one has made a comment about a miss match/tint.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Man you bike looks sweet. I totally agree, I also "painted" (plastidipped) most of the black fairings. I eventually continued the white just like you did with the silver, and painted the black piece at the knee red.
Looks great, I'm thinking of painting the plastic which is just under the seat. What do you think. .....too much?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Looks great, I'm thinking of painting the plastic which is just under the seat. What do you think. .....too much?
very easy to do, just undo the two screws and it is held in place by rubber plugs that pop right out

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm loving those S-fairing painted as well. The R3 has those different colored boomerang-looking fairings on both sides that are not very cutting-edge. The best way is to paint out the S-fairings. But honestly I feel like the R3 was made to be a single-tone sportbike, with a secondary color mixed in to avoid monotony.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts