Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I'll just start a log instead of making new posts each time around.

The first two:

Iron butt, 1000+ mile day on an r3
http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/289-yamaha-r3-general-discussion/111426-iron-butt-r3-complete.html#post421450

Hunting lighthouses
http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/481-yzf-r3-pictures/111786-nj-lighthouse-hunt.html#post432417

This week I was back at it again. Spent two days heading up to NH to ride through the white mountains and up Mt Washington.

Will post a report sometime this weekend.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Long story short, I had to work a Saturday this week, which means taking off a weekday. Perfect opportunity to go somewhere normally crowded on the weekend, but within a reasonable distance. Ideas were bounced around, and I finally settled on mt Washington. Its about 6/7 hrs away, and its been on my running bucket list for a while. This is a perfect opportunity to get in a good ride and scout it out for a running trip later on.
Thursday, all packed up and ready to go at work:

I was finally able to get out of work around noon, and set off. My plan was to head as far east as possible, and then north, to try staying ahead of a line of nasty t-storms for as long as possible. Amazingly enough, this plan worked flawlessly. I got up to lanconia (blue dot below) and got pulled in for gas and dinner and was able to sit out almost all of the rain. I then followed behind the line watching an awesome sunset unfold until reaching my campground, about an hour from mt Washington in the white mtn forest.

Some photos of said sunset:

When I finally got to the campground, it was past nightfall and gently raining again. Threw up camp as quickly as possible and was out in minutes. The next morning, the sun was out and the forecast for mt washington’s summit was still the same, “in and out of the clouds”, and the road was scheduled to be open to motorcycles despite the storms that rolled through. Sweet!
Home sweet home for the night:

Woke up early (5 am sunrise this far north), packed up and was off into town to find some food. This is bear country, so I didn’t take any chances leaving food near the bike/camp area. Got to the mountain around 830, and made my first of two ascents. Conditions were fantastic on both trips until about 5000 feet. After that, it was entirely in the clouds, and visibility ranged from about 5 feet on the first early pass to 200 feet on the second. It was like flipping a switch on visibility. It was a truly incredible way of witnessing the power of the mountains, and just one more reason to respect them.
Bunch of pics:

300 feet was a bit optimistic!

4000 ft or so, still looking good but check out those clouds….

Still doing alright, although this dirt section was definitely a bit sketchy early on. Still wet from rain and tons of pebbles.

Right around the 5000 foot mark I believe, just got into the fog and was freezing. Threw on my rain coat and swapped to my winter gauntlet gloves for some wind protection and warmth

Up to the top! Almost no vis at this point. Theres a parked bike in there somewhere….

Yup, anchors on all the summit buildings

Man, what a view

So, the summit view was a bust but what an incredible experience. I’ll be back for sure, hopefully in fairer skies (a rare thing on this mountain). After hanging out and eating a snack on one of the viewing areas, I started to make my way back home. It was fairly uneventful, and I was trying to make good time so I didn’t take to many pictures. I did have to pull over and uturn for these sculptures though. 5 or 6 big sculptures made from soldered together car/bikes parts. Just awesome stuff.

Additional photos
http://s49.photobucket.com/user/abraves4410/library/Mt wash trip?sort=3&page=1

·
Registered
732 Posts
How do you like you side cases? I am an aesthetics snob and can probably get by with a tank bag, tail bag, and back pack. Though yours are really sweet. When are the NY/NJ guys going on a ride?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Side bags weren't cheap, but they are awesome. The only negative I have to say about them is I did pull one of the zippers loose this week, which keeps it from closing properly. Will be submitting a warranty claim on them, but not sure if it'll be covered.

In terms of space, they aren't too big, 11 or 12 liters per side. Integrated dry bags are nice, but a bit annoying for day to day use. Nice opening size on the top means I can drop a fully loaded 10l bag right into them, unlike the soft bags I ran on my old bike.

I use them and a 35l bag on the tail and can easily fit everything I need for multi day camping trips, excluding food and water. I'll never go back to a backpack, it's so nice not having extra weight on my back.

Not sure about a tri state ride, I tried to set one up in the spring without success, not sure if anyone else has made an attempt. I'm more of a solo go but don't mind an occasional group ride/meet up.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Side bags weren't cheap, but they are awesome. The only negative I have to say about them is I did pull one of the zippers loose this week, which keeps it from closing properly. Will be submitting a warranty claim on them, but not sure if it'll be covered.

In terms of space, they aren't too big, 11 or 12 liters per side. Integrated dry bags are nice, but a bit annoying for day to day use. Nice opening size on the top means I can drop a fully loaded 10l bag right into them, unlike the soft bags I ran on my old bike.

I use them and a 35l bag on the tail and can easily fit everything I need for multi day camping trips, excluding food and water. I'll never go back to a backpack, it's so nice not having extra weight on my back.

Not sure about a tri state ride, I tried to set one up in the spring without success, not sure if anyone else has made an attempt. I'm more of a solo go but don't mind an occasional group ride/meet up.
Yeah, that sucks big donkey balls-in re your broken zipper. Maybe a badass tailor can put in some heavy duty zippers? This brings me to a sore point...

I'm quasi-metro (I'm a NYer) so I buy some decent clothes and accessories. I've spent like $600 on boots or a jacket and had things like a button fall off, or the sole break after a relatively short time. When you spend the $ to get some higher end stuff and it fails, breaks, whatever...it's really annoying. ON my winter parka, they large buttons have relatively thin stitching. It pissed me off. You'd expect double stitching and craftsmanship. It is true-the don't make them like they used to.:eek:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Subscribed! I like reading ride reports. Are you on the Advrider forum?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I lurk on adv rider, but only have one or two posts. I just can't seem to get into many of the posts there.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did my first track day today, and it went well up until the 6th session when I came into a tricky set of turns too hot and lost it. Got on the brakes too hard and too late and washed out starting my turn in. It was my first time coming up to that corner without a traffic jam of other bikes slowing things down so I just completely misjudged it.

Did a pretty good amount of damage but oh well, the bike will be fixed eventually. The good news is my gear did its job and I came out completely unharmed, not even a scratch or bruise so I'll take it. I'll be tearing down the bike this week to get a full tally, but as of now the minimum is both rearsets, 1 clip on, nose fairing, windscreen and a patch job on my fairings to get it back up and running. Almost all the other fairings are scratched but functional, which is I'm fine with. I'll be keeping an eye out for a full fairing set and swap it all eventually.

Video of things going well:
(dont know whats up with the audio...my raw file is fine, but keeps getting messed up in the conversion....)
https://youtu.be/9Aq_zhqk3iU

Video of things not going so well:
https://youtu.be/Wxs1BZ1XzSU

The ride of shame:

All in all, it was a good experience despite the crash and I do plan on trying to do a few of these next year. I'd recommend it to anybody on the fence about it. If nothing else, you get a completely different experience from the street and some time to really focus om specifics without needing to worry about traffic, sand, a squirrel, or whatever else may pop up.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bike. Hopefully a speedy recovery for the repairs.
New York safety track - what are your thoughts about the track?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry to hear about the bike. Hopefully a speedy recovery for the repairs.
New York safety track - what are your thoughts about the track?
It's a really challenging course, tons of up and down and a lot of blind entries and exits. Great surface, super sticky (I had some rubber balling up on my sport touring tires), and a really good staff running the events. Safety is a big deal for them without being over bearing which I like.

I ran with evolve gt which offered a free first timer coach program which was incredibly helpful and really made the first day so much less stressful

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No go on the insurance claim as expected, because racetrack. Oh well.

Bike runs and shifts, so it's good to go. Highly considering an mt 03 conversion, as I'm a big fan of naked bikes, and fairings are expensive.

Going to strip the bike down to double check everything and do some parts pricing.

Should be a fun next few weeks. :)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
It's been a little longer than hoped, but I just about got everything repaired. Only waiting on a new one piece tank cover since this one is bent and will not sit right no matter what I do. I may wind up sliding the forks down a tad to flush the clip ons, but for now it's good enough.

Called up insurance to get coverage again and will be riding tomorrow, just in time for some primo weather. Should be just below the freezing mark on the ride in to work :p

·
Registered
732 Posts
It's been a little longer than hoped, but I just about got everything repaired. Only waiting on a new one piece tank cover since this one is bent and will not sit right no matter what I do. I may wind up sliding the forks down a tad to flush the clip ons, but for now it's good enough.

Called up insurance to get coverage again and will be riding tomorrow, just in time for some primo weather. Should be just below the freezing mark on the ride in to work :p

Nice man! Naked bikes are cool but I've always been a sport bike guy and while they are expensive like the aesthetic & functionality. R3's are popular enough on the street and track so it's easier to track down some part out bikes for them so I consider that a plus. How's the bruised body & ego? Hopefully youre all healed up!

It's 60 in NY. You should be out riding! IIRC, you live upstate...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I rode two and from work. 34 degrees on the way in, 65 on the way out... Gotta love fall...

I'll be doing a real ride tomorrow with my wife and her group. Not a big fan of group rides but it's fun once in a while.

Also, New tank cover came in today. Slowly getting the last few thing finished up. May wind up switching the front wheel fender to black to coordinate a bit more... Well see how I feel about it in a few months.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
It's been a long while, but I finally get out today and did some fooling around on the bike. Beautiful day despite the occasional rain drop, anything over 50 degrees on the verge of December is a winner in my book.

Took a trip down to the NJ Pine Barrens, the first time in quite a few years and ran a bunch of jeep roads on...my r3 with street tires of course. Bike took it like a champ other than the deep sand, which is of course way past what this bike is built for.

This gem is no more than 100 feet off a main road. Surprised the **** out of me to see this right away

Ever wonder where cranberries come from? Right here. Berry bogs.

A little sand never hurt anybody right?

·
Registered
732 Posts
It's been a long while, but I finally get out today and did some fooling around on the bike. Beautiful day despite the occasional rain drop, anything over 50 degrees on the verge of December is a winner in my book.

Took a trip down to the NJ Pine Barrens, the first time in quite a few years and ran a bunch of jeep roads on...my r3 with street tires of course. Bike took it like a champ other than the deep sand, which is of course way past what this bike is built for.

This gem is no more than 100 feet off a main road. Surprised the **** out of me to see this right away

Ever wonder where cranberries come from? Right here. Berry bogs.

A little sand never hurt anybody right?
Nice! Glad your bike and you are all healed and fixed and back on the road. Should have called me, I would have joined you. Today was overcast but **** near 60! I'm in Brooklyn-you're upstate right? My girlfriend is from NJ, and have spent a fair amount of time there as my previous and current girlfriends are Jersey girls (for better or worse) ;-), but I have never been to the Pine Barrens. What a cultural icon. Looked at them on G-Maps. Insanely big. If anyone didn't know, that is why the N NHL team is called the "Devils"-there is allegedly a Devil that roams the barrens. Creepy. It's not just a bunch of mob graves. On a ghoulish note, I bet Kathy Durst is buried there. That poor lady and her family need closure. I was transfixed by The Jinx, the story of real estate heir and millionaire Robert Durst and the multiple murders he has gotten away with. They've never found her body and I believe her case is still technically a "Missing Persons" case. They need to find her so her soul can rest in peace. So creepy to think there are likely hundreds of shallow and unmarked graves in there. ON another tangent, Pine Barrens was the best Sopranos episode.
@cxa0897 thanks for sharing. Awesome pics. Hope to link up with you this spring for some rides. I know you like to go solo but hopefully I can convince you for a couple of day or overnight trips. My best friend's wife won't let him get a bike yet, so I have no riding partner. Oh, forgot to mention. You should get a little food satchel and rope. At your camp sites, just hoist your food up in a tree and it'll keep the scent from bears and be secure. There is nothing like cooking grub over a camp fire. Are you able to fit a sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and tent on your bike? I have a regular camping sleeping bag, but it's a bit bulky. I have an old style Army PT mat and an air pad, but they're both a bit bulky too. Been thinking of getting an old Army Gore-Tex sleeping bag which I love-they're lightweight and pack easily. My current tent is a two man, but its case is a bit cumbersome. Haven't figured out how to pack it. Guess I'll have to buy a new one, but I still have tons of camping gear on my wishlist.

I keep my bike stored in Jan-Feb usually but it's no problem breaking it out for mild days during winter. Unless we have tons of snow and there's sand bars and the roads are covered in salt from over sanding, I will usually ride in winter unless it is crazy cold. I think this year I am finally going to maybe get an e-heat vest or something. Do you have any heated gear per chance? Any experience with particular items or brands?;)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Had heated grips on my last bike, not on this one. I'll do it if I still have the bike next winter as I do miss them. The rest of my gear is just a leather jacket, high quality down vest, and snowmobile gloves for the cold stuff.

Tent, sleeping bag (40 degree) and pad all fit easily inside a 30liter dry bag which I strap on the rear seat. I haven't had to pack my 20 degree bag yet, but it should fit with some convincing. A few outfits and some food will fit in my saddlebags. Everything I buy is light and compact gear as it doubles for hiking/running.

Typical load, camping and running gear

Loaded

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Took a long ride to Centralia PA today, which is a near ghost town caused by a coal mine fire. It is pretty well known as the "real" silent hill.

Plenty of YouTube vids on it if you are interested. Also, wiki link:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia,_Pennsylvania

Anyway, a holiday weekend was definitely the wrong time to visit. It was packed with people which ruined the whole experience for me, and I was cold from a 2 and a half hour ride in 40 degree weather. Drove around a for a short bit and left. Only snapped a handful of pictures so not a whole lot to share.

Obligatory harambe dick graffiti picture. I'm not a harambe guy, but how can you let this opportunity pass?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts