Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day,

have an R3 that got hit in the rear swingarm and caused a crease on the chain side. See photos
Looks like the rearset snapped off of caused the crease/ bend?

There is no other major damage apart from the other rearsets snapped off and general scrapes and scratches.
the wheel looks pretty straight and I know the swing arm needs to be replaced.

My big concern is what are the chances of the main frame being bent where the swing arm attaches? The swing arm looks like its only deformed at impact and not moved as a whole( i do understand i cannot see fine measurements to be 100% sure of this)

Does anyone with experience now how strong the main frame bearing area is ?

Would anyone who is somewhat qualified be able to give me their opinion on the likely hood of just damage to swing arm or to frame as well?

thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
The swingarm on these bikes are pretty flimsy and can bend and dent easily. My guess looking at the pics would be that the frame might be alright (but I wouldn't be certain until I removed the swingarm).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The swingarm on these bikes are pretty flimsy and can bend and dent easily. My guess looking at the pics would be that the frame might be alright (but I wouldn't be certain until I removed the swingarm).
thanks VULGR,

thats pretty much what i was thinking. but its hard to know without more inspecting and measuring.

·
Registered
53 Posts
As you take it apart for replacment, check the swingarm movement with everything disconnected. If it moves nice and freely you should be good. I would still clean everything up and inspect for fractures before putting it back together. Have a super bright work light handy and get in there all nice and deep like....

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi, pre ownership, mine was the same, (albeit not as bad) it had been dropped and had the line of the exhaust embedded into it.
and as mentioned in one reply, i think they are a flimsy construction and you maybe be ok as the frame feel and looks pretty sturdy.

In the UK i had to check if it would pass the annual MOT test, which it does, i will be going to Thailand mid Feb and will be purchasing a swing arm cover with hugger to hide it! along with a couple of other bits Im going to try the preload adjusters as well, if anyone know how good, or even if the make any improvements let me know please.

https://www.kdprojectracing.com/product/3824/cover-swingarm-abs-2850-baht-tank-cover-part2

good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
You are lucky your leg was not hurt!

My bet the frame is affected looking at the damage considering it is a light bike (that doesn't have a stout frame to begin with). I would think the bike would be considered an insurance loss with any frame damage. Is there any chance you will get recovery through insurance?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts