Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed my rear tire with no problems however my front tire is putting up such a good fight that I am ripping the tire. I also keep bending the tire leavers. Anyone have any advice on what I should do to get this sucker on? Am I doing any serious damage to the front tire?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Holy **** dude! :eek: You're tearing that up! Put more lube on the edge and on the rim.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I used a no mar and it was indeed extremely hard compared to a bigger 120 front. Use lots of tire lube ad mentioned and it will install much easier.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just attempted on the opposite side using a lot more lube and it was still tearing and bending my bars. Maybe these Motion Pro bars are not up to the task of these tires. I'm worried I have already done to much damage the tires won't seal properly. I may just have to suck it up and get a shop to finish what I started.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I've always heard Bridgestones had a pretty stiff carcass, but ****! Dunlops would be even worse! lol

What are you using for lube? What's the temperature where you're doing this at? If the tire was warm, it would help a bit.

My guess is a reputable shop would probably not do it for you at this point, because there would be some liability issue. The tire is already damaged and if it doesn't seal right, or it does and then tears itself up at 60+ mph (doubt it but you never know), they might be liable because they put it on and they wouldn't take that risk with that tire in its current condition. You can try, but if I owned a shop and my reputation was on the line I would not put that tire on. At this point you might as well keep trying and then when you get it on, see how it holds up. Otherwise, get a new tire and have a shop do it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man that sucks. I am going to the track this upcoming weekend and was really looking forward to having new tires. Such a waste of a new tire. I was using Windex initially but then I switched to a silicone based lubricant. I may just have to have the shop put on the old stock tire again-- I'm scared to try to put it back on now and I doubt I can get a new tire soon enough. The irony in trying to save a buck doing it your self and having to spend a lot more in the end.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Man that sucks. I am going to the track this upcoming weekend and was really looking forward to having new tires. Such a waste of a new tire. I was using Windex initially but then I switched to a silicone based lubricant. I may just have to have the shop put on the old stock tire again-- I'm scared to try to put it back on now and I doubt I can get a new tire soon enough. The irony in trying to save a buck doing it your self and having to spend a lot more in the end.
Yeah I've bit myself in the past when trying to save a few bucks as well. I know the feeling. But if you're gonna be on the track, that's even more reason to not use that front. I'd be very skeptical in riding on that even if you can get it on.

I would offer you my stock tires that the bike came with when I got it for dirt cheap. They're almost new since the bike has only 400 miles on, but I don't have a way to take them off the wheels so soon and then I'd also be tire-less since I won't be getting my race tires for this bike for at least another month or so.

I'm looking at getting a No Mar mechanical tire changer in the near future, but that might be awhile.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
The No Mar is a great investment.

I hear their line is good but when I used mine to change to s20 tires I used pledge since I didn't have No Mar lube.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Get a dedicated tire lube! Using something else may cause problems in the long run since it may not evaporate properly or leaves a residue inside the tire. It can also cause problems with the tire actually slipping on the rim. I have been told this is especially true with a silicone based lubricant.

·
Registered
424 Posts
There shouldn't be a problem installing with tyre levers only. Unfortunately you just didn't attempt it correctly. I wouldn't be installing that damaged tyre anymore.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
There shouldn't be a problem installing with tyre levers only. Unfortunately you just didn't attempt it correctly. I wouldn't be installing that damaged tyre anymore.
I dunno man. I had a really tough time getting that thing onto that little rim. When I tried it again on my zx6r tire it was a breeze, using the same method and everything.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I only use manual tyre levers and have changed supercorsa's, s20's, alpha 13's, rs10's, Dunlop wets and Pirelli wets without an issue. Dozens of tires on these rims without an issue.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I had a near impossible time trying to out metzlers on with tire bars and bent the bars (including a 30" steel bar). Just said **** it and brought it to the shop for them to do. For one or two tire changes a year I'll just eat the shop cost

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I sent an email to a track and sport bike shop with photos of the damage and the shop owner said it should be fine. I'm going to bring my stock tire just in case I hear any doubt they are going to be safe. The optimistic side of me thinks if they are this hard to get on surely they are not going to come off the rim when riding. It's not like this bike goes much faster than 100 mph.

I am impressed that anyone with leavers are able to get S20 tires on the front. My Motion Pro bars were bent in half so surely you are using much stronger bars and probably more than two of them. I even tried doing inches at a time going around the rim towards to get the last lip and I think that is what did the most damage.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
If you have ever used a No Mar, or seen pictures, you will know the handle bar is a big hefty round tube. The tip itself is made of a non marring plastic, either Delrin or whatever sliders are made of. That part attaches to the tip of the bar. Mine was coming off he bar, I was exerting so much pressure trying to get that tire on. That was only once, and probably only my 3-4th time doing a tire install myself. I will use actual no mar tire lube next time and see if it gets easier with technique and experience.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Or just use Pirellis and not have to deal with such hassle ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts