Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone lowered their dampening?

I recently went from Normal 3 to fully soft which is 0, and the way the bike feels when taking turns is well planted.

Anyone else feel a difference when going stiff or loose?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm a big guy, 270 lbs with full gear. I've got my rear pre-load all the way up to 7. I feel like it helped the bike rotate better and now it doesn't bottom out under my considerable mass. LOL Having said that higher was much better for me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a big guy, 270 lbs with full gear. I've got my rear pre-load all the way up to 7. I feel like it helped the bike rotate better and now it doesn't bottom out under my considerable mass. LOL Having said that higher was much better for me.
Haha im at 125 very light

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just took the first ride on my '16 R3 since installing a Yoshi' R77 full SS, fender eliminator kit & flush mount LED signals. Shed about 14 lbs from the bike. I weigh 148 lbs. Bike feels too stiff after mods. I plan to adjust my preload tomorrow. I think it'll help a lot.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hm. yea I weigh 140lbs dry, set at 5 I didn't have good rear end feel opening the throttle in my turns. I just took a ride returning to 4 and I can transfer weight and feel what my rear is doing much better.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm at 120lbs and doing 2(maybe 10lbs more from leather/bag). Feels pretty good on commuting
Still wish it's softer, but I come from a soft suspension car(Lexus ES)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm at 120lbs and doing 2(maybe 10lbs more from leather/bag). Feels pretty good on commuting
Still wish it's softer, but I come from a soft suspension car(Lexus ES)
I weight 120 also i went from 3-0 then back to 3 since you cant pop wheelies at 0 dampening

·
Registered
389 Posts
Oh yea, wheelies are real important. NOT.

·
Registered
542 Posts
But, wheelies are life bro.

Don't mind the photo of a still shot from my go pro. I was doing some figure 8s and what nots, tried to power it up on one pass and pretty much failed. Clutch ups do much better :)

·
Registered
542 Posts
In all seriousness, I ran it at 3 for a while until I put on my ohlins. It was alright, but I would've wound up bumping it up a bit if I didn't replace it. It felt ok, but I think it might've been less pogo-ey with some more preload.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
But, wheelies are life bro.

Don't mind the photo of a still shot from my go pro. I was doing some figure 8s and what nots, tried to power it up on one pass and pretty much failed. Clutch ups do much better :)
I use to do clutch up wheelies but i dont like the instant 12 oclocks, i love doing power wheelies but keep practicing youll get it down! ill try to get a picture for you ;)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yes there is.

Your suspension will pogo over bumps because it cannot compress. The oil can't do its job of dampening or soaking up bumps.
So how do you figure out what to set it at? I'm like 110lbs. It's still at factory and I swear to god I'm going to bounce right off the darn thing over the smallest bump.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
856 Posts
So how do you figure out what to set it at? I'm like 110lbs. It's still at factory and I swear to god I'm going to bounce right off the darn thing over the smallest bump.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

You set it by measuring the rear sag (Plenty of youtube guides)

110lb is only 50kg,
You are bouncing out the saddle because its topping out,
(not enough rider sag, tyre doesn't maintain contact with surface, initial hits too hard for you, then unloads again, and the suspension is not able to do its job as well as it can if it was using MORE of its initial travel)
so back the spring preload to 2/7 or even 1/7 as you are way lighter than average.

Thread title is misleading ,
its not 'Dampening'
its preload adjustment, which is ride height.

*Correct Preload adjustment ultimately affects dampening by making the shock work in the optimum part of the stroke, but preload adjustment is all we have on the r3.
Rider Sag needs to be around 30%-33% of the total travel for a roadbike.
Say you have 100mm travel, sag is set at 33mm.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just had mine adjusted to 6. Im at 175lbs. Does adjusting this make the bike feel a lil bit higher or softer? I felt that when it was at 4, it was kind of soft and bouncy which I do not really like. I like it more of a r6 feel.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts