Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Dealership Oil Change - Rip Off?

4K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  xorbe 
#1 ·
Hiya,

My Oil indicator light is on. As much as I'd prefer to do my own oil changes (used to when I owned a car), my apartment doesn't allow fluid changes in their clean underground garage, and I don't want to deal with disposal right now anyways.

So I called the dealership that this bike originated from for an oil change. When I explained that the Oil light is on, the Service tech said that this is abnormal and warrants a $100+ inspection, on top of the $45+ oil change. Now, this doesn't sound reasonable to me. If I were doing this myself, I would simply change the oil then reset the light, right?

What is this guy talking about? Does his claim have any validity, or am I walking into a trap? As it stands, my appointment is scheduled all the way out until the 17th of July, which is also bloody ridiculous for an oil change. So I have some time to figure this out beforehand.

#2 ·
Waht "oil indicator light" are you talking about? If you mean the red light that comes on whenever the ignition is one but the engine is not running, that's normal. It merely indicates that there is no oil pressure when the engine is turned off.

However, that red light should NEVER when the engine is RUNNING. If it does, that means there is an oil pumping problem OR you have run the bike way low on oil because you have not been checking the sight gage on the rightside engine crankcase. Either way, if that red light is on when the engine is running, shut the engine off immediately and then:

- Check the engine oil level PROPERLY (Engine hot but OFF, Bike held level, NOT on sidestand - read your user manual). If it is low, add oil of the correct type and weight (again read your manual)

- If the engine oil level is ok, but the red light comes on when the engine is running, have your dealer TRAILER the bike to his shop for an inspection to determine what happened to the oil pressure.

If on the other hand you mean that an indicator OTHER than that red light has come on because you have reached the odometer reading where an oil change is supposed to occur, that is not a problem, but rather a reminder to get the oil changed soon.

Your dealer, based on your poor description of the problem, has likely assumed that your red light is on when the engine is running, and has properly advised you to get the bike to his shop for an inspection.

General comment: If you want to take care of this motorcycle, read your owner's manual and do what it tells you to do.

Jim G

#3 ·
Right, you need to determine the difference in an "oil change tripmeter" and the "oil pressure warning light". The "oil pressure warning light" is located in the main part of your speedometer, and should only appear when ignition is on , but before the engine is started. If it's on after the engine starts, you should shut off the engine ASAP. On the other hand, if your seeing the "oil change tripmeter" flashing in the right side of the speedometer's multi function display area, this is a reminder to change oil, just as you said. This would not require a diagnostic check. If your "oil pressure light" is on, and you know the oil level is good, don't ride the bike until you get it checked out. If it's the "oil change tripmeter", schedule an oil change and all will be well. The person in the service department you spoke to may have misunderstood what you were asking depending on what words you used to describe the problem. They're not there to rip you off. But they don't always hear what you mean to say, try again if need be.:|

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.