Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was set on the ninja 300 abs. Then I saw this r3. I don't have license till end of the month of July so I couldn't ride either one. But did extensive research. I like the feature of ninja. Slipper clutch and abs. But the extra power of the r3 is a big seller. I was told the handling of the r3 is not as good and the tires are so so.
I'd like some honest opinions. The r3 is several hundred less and has way more after markets add-ons. Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
542 Posts
The extra power isn't a big deal, it would be barely noticeable on the streets, and definitely not to a beginner. The r3 handles great and the tires aren't that bad. Yes they are a little soft and squirmy, but I can just about get knee down on stock tires once they are warm. Some guys have done track days on them and survived. Ninja 300 tires aren't much better or worse from what I read. Either way, stock tires aren't a good enough reason to pick one bike over the other.

Abs and slipper are the big differences between the two. Both of these could be very helpful to a new rider, but I would recommend learning without them if you are comfortable doing so. I'm sure abs will become prevalent on all bikes soon, but knowing how to stop a bike without it is a valuable skill. The slipper clutch makes missing shifts much more forgiving, but you definitely don't want to rely on it forever. Rev matching isn't that difficult to master.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i recently got my r3 and i'm really enjoying her since she is my first bike. i never ride an ninja, so i could not say anything about it. I just listen ninja ride position is not so good as the r3. i didnt understand "r3 is several hundreds less" since where i live the r3 is more expensive that ninja 300.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would recommend you considering several other factors before making a final decisions. One factor i would consider is definitely availability of parts. For my region Yamaha parts are easily attainable, and also cheaper than a kawasaki.

·
Registered
761 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
(OP from Japan?) Anyway, also consider a used Ninja for your first bike if it can save you some money. Most people don't use first bike forever.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input so far. I love this community so far. All good advice. I'm in nj. The r3 is around 4900. The ninja with abs is 5400. Can't find a ninja used for less than 4000 that has not been dropped. I agree with CXA. The abs and slipper clutch will make me used to it but next bike will be standard.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts