Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I messed up, didn't disconnect my battery for winter or to charge it once in a while.
First bike, didn't pay attention to small stuff and I'm guessing I killed the battery :)
Didn't try starting bike yet, but I'm guessing I need to buy a battery charger and try to charge it.
Could use some pointers on what charger to buy, and if I need to grab new battery which to buy.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Why don't you actually see if the battery is dead or will start the bike first. You can jump-start the factory battery just like you would with a car. Try to see if you can solve the problem yourself.

"Battery Tenders" for MC's are available in any motorcycle or autoparts type place. The battery number is printed on the side of the battery. Again, go to any motorcycle type brick and mortar store and get it tested and/or replaced.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I suggest going to the dealer and telling them the battery failed.
I had to get mine replaced because my early build date my bike sat around quite a while in the Long Beach port strike.
Get a nice fresh start on them, then add a tender.
They will replace it under warranty if the charging system checks out.
Don't tell them anything about the storage or riding habits, IT JUST QUIT.

Simple run of the mill battery tender I use
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262202957498?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

USB adapter if you want to charge your phone/gps on the move.
2.1a quick charges my phone
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELTRAN-Bat...028828?hash=item462460b71c:g:VtUAAOSwgQ9V21ML

Thanks you reminded me to charge my own, had it out and ready. Lots of short trips and city driving sometimes saps my battery a bit.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'll pick up battery tender and usb connector, seems like good combo.
In the meantime I gotta run and get batteries for my multimeter and check out how battery will act after being charged.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Why not just jump it first like stirz said? It literally costs nothing. Then you can ride your bike to Cycle Gear and buy the charger lol. No need to lie to the dealer and compromise your integrity.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nah, I just ordered the parts online, cheapest too and supporting canadian business https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/
I'll charge it, and check it with multimeter to see how battery is acting, if it can hold a charge.
I won't take out the bike for probably a month anyway.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Try starting it,if it don't start check it with the volt meter. If it does show some voltage see how long it takes for it to go down one number while still having the meter on it. If it goes down fast then battery no good but if it takes awhile to decrease to one number then battery just needs a good charge. Once charged repeat the meter process to check voltage drop. For a good deep charge use battery maintainer leave it for few days. The one I have is from Sears.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well I'm surprised, it started in 1sec, right off the bat, 4 months of not running.
Multimeter showed 12.75V before starting it up, and 14.35V after it was running.
Exhaust smell was pretty bad though, couldn't stand too close first few min.

Gotta go and get some gas as I left it with 2 bars of Gas in tank.
Should I skip fuel stabilizer now, since we're roughly 1 month before riding season ?

Guess you learn everything on first bike :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had a nice battery tender/charger. My fiance and I separated back in December and he took it with him when he moved out. I didn't get around to getting a new one. Kept the bike in the shed... rode it on January 31st in a Poker run with no issues and then took it out again last night briefly. I would think the battery would still be okay. Mine didn't stutter at all.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, that's what you get for misinformation.
When I asked guys at my local shop if they had chargers cuz I left my bike without tender for 4 months they said battery is 99% most likely dead and to bring it in, so I made this post to get some info instead of relying on shop who wants to make money, and looks like they really wanted to make money :)
My bike is in single garage with renovation in the house right now so it was tough to move it out to try and start it.
Should've tried getting it out of the garage first and starting it up.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah, that's what you get for misinformation.
When I asked guys at my local shop if they had chargers cuz I left my bike without tender for 4 months they said battery is 99% most likely dead and to bring it in, so I made this post to get some info instead of relying on shop who wants to make money, and looks like they really wanted to make money :)
My bike is in single garage with renovation in the house right now so it was tough to move it out to try and start it.
Should've tried getting it out of the garage first and starting it up.

Thanks all.
You can start a bike inside a garage you know, you just shouldn't leave it running for a prolonged period of time in a non ventilated space

1 - 13 of 13 Posts