Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a reversible way to completely diasable ABS on a 2017 R3? I don’t want to remove the ABS, just disable it for a track day. Thanks!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Does anyone know of a reversible way to completely diasable ABS on a 2017 R3? I don’t want to remove the ABS, just disable it for a track day. Thanks!
I don't have ABS so not sure about this. Does the ABS system have its own fuse?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Depends on how fast you're going. If you are in the beginner level, leave the ABS on. If you're a fast intermediate or advanced rider, then switch them off as it will intervene too early and could throw off your deliberate hard braking. I saw an expert rider in an Aprilia once fly straight through a turn in Cresson, TX (the rattlesnake for those of you familiar with the track) and almost hit oncoming traffic on the other side of hill because his ABS kicked in and didn't stop him hard enough--he thought he had disabled it.

My S1000RR has race ABS and it works beautifully when in Race mode, doesn't intervene until very, very late. Our little R3 is not that sophisticated though.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Why do you say there is no point? Curious to hear your experience on this topic. Do you run an R3 on the track with ABS?
Yes, and will be racing on it for at least a couple of rounds untill I decide to remove the lot, save weight, and run direct lines.
But id like a patch to fix the loss of dash functions first.

*I despise abs, its the dumbest thing in motorcycling for a long time.
Last weekend i has three coaches and scrutineers going over my bike squeezing the front brake and telling me its unsafe and doesnt feel right,
I told them its a **** sight better than it was when new and has been bled properly and fluid changed.... its the way abs r3s are im afraid.

When i first got the bike, didnt like the pulsing,
But showed i wasnt smooth enough.

If you are top level id say pull the fuse and try,
Or remove the lot, its 3kg we dont need.
If its just an intermediate track day and you're activating abs (like I was, but had to test it)
You are better off taking advantage of that warning and thats the point you smoothly reduce pressure, tip in and sail round the corner :)
How many days on it have you done?

*Am yet to try Vesrah ZZ pads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The reason I ask is I am trying to decide between an R3 with and without ABS. The intention is to mostly use the bike on the track but inevitably it will get ridden on the street some especially at first during engine break in. If it was strictly a street bike I would definitely get the ABS model. But, given its intentions as a track bike I’m trying to decide if it’s worth getting the ABS. If there’s an easy way to completely disable the ABS then I don’t see much harm in getting that model.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any definitive info regarding the R3's ABS on the track, and/or pulling a fuse to disable it for the track? I have searched this forum, and read/watched reviews, but have not found much info.

I have a deposit on a leftover '19 ABS. It would mainly be used on the street (where ABS has obvious benefits), but the plan is to also use it as a track bike.

I have no experience tracking motorcycles, but a decent amount of experience tracking a 911, so I understand lines, trail braking, etc. I would keep ABS activated on the track until I gained experience, but would like to have the option of disabling it, if necessary. My concern with the R3 is that the ABS system will get angry/invasive when trail braking, which happens with a lot of street cars.

·
Super Moderator
935 Posts
Fat Kid, I don't know if you've looked through these posts already.. But they pretty well discuss your question. Good Luck and Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
a few folks have discussed it here already. Not sure what your level of track riding/racing is so it may not even intervene at any noticeable level. For some race folks and track riders, it’s just too intrusive. I disabled my abs on the current R3 and removed everything. Saved a bit of weight in the process.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The simplest way would be to pull the fuse but this will cause a check engine light ABS error and disable the speedo function. If youre on track, I doubt you will be using the speedo anyway. Engine will still run normally and the other displays (tachometer, fuel gauge, engine temp, etc.) will continue working as per normal. Once you're done, plug the fuse back in and use an OBD scanner to clear the engine code.

·
Registered
77 Posts
How does ABS interfere on track? Do track riders intentionally lock the front wheel to gain braking? That seems counter-productive...ABS AFAIK does not activate or interfere with brakes unless a wheel is locked...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts