Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gonna do 1st track day on r3 and wondering whats recommended or easiest way to disconect lights? any advice appreciated thanks

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Do they actually require you to do that? A lot of organizations just want you to tape over the lights, so you don't have to disconnect them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no dont have to disconnect but was usually easy on other bikes like just removing a fuse, havent seen any post about it before so was just wondering if theres an easy way. I always heard lights cant melt tape on them but never ran them on before so wouldnt know

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
no dont have to disconnect but was usually easy on other bikes like just removing a fuse, havent seen any post about it before so was just wondering if theres an easy way. I always heard lights cant melt tape on them but never ran them on before so wouldnt know
I left my headlights on and the vinyl wrap on the headlights came right off after that track day.

I disconnected the tail light. It's pretty easy, it's disconnected under the seat. That one I decided to disconnect because there was no clean way to tape the bike up and I didn't want a chance of the light flashing, just a small courtesy to all the riders behind me so as to not distract them.

Edit: wtf is up with autocorrect lol?! Kilo cared? Haha

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I used to use the standard blue painter's tape, but I've seen others use vinyl as well. As long as you're not using duct tape or something like that it's fine.

Reactions: Kojiiro

·
Registered
542 Posts
There's a single fuse for all of the lights, I pulled it for my track day and it worked well. Inside the fuse box cover is the diagram, it is listed as lights or signals or something like that.

Also threw on tape... Mostly out of boredom in the days prior.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's a single fuse for all of the lights, I pulled it for my track day and it worked well. Inside the fuse box cover is the diagram, it is listed as lights or signals or something like that.

Also threw on tape... Mostly out of boredom in the days prior.
cool ill see if i can find which one it was thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
Recently I pulled fuses 2 and 4 to kill the tail lights and signals. Fuse 4 is somehow tied to the gauge cluster and the ECU because I didn't realize until a few corners on the track, the bike was not responding off throttle. At the end of that session as I was pulling into the pits , I was high idling at 6k. I did notice it at the session start but I thought since it was a cold morning session, the bike was not up to warm and it would come down to idle. It was acting like a runaway engine. So I put the fuses in one at a time and it's fuse 4 which is brake light and something else. As soon as I did that, bike idles normally. Tape or unplug the lights physically. I think I just invented the rear brake and signal pod snap on covers. No more tape. Pod socks!

·
Registered
433 Posts
if its not required to disconnect the lights I say make the job easier on yourself and just tape em!

oh and enjoy your first track day!!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
FYI for future track day riders.

If you want to take off the front blinkers, just pull the small inside panel loss at the top and side, don't need to take it all the way off. And you can unplug the blinkers and slide them out of the fairing, pretty easy. If you want to take the rear fender off, unplug it under the seat and just follow the wires and remove the four nuts holding it on, or if you have a fender eliminator you already know how to do that. As stated, remove the light fuse and signal fuse and then you only need to tape the headlight and taillight lens. A more clean look imoa, just my 2cents.

Hope you had fun at your first track day, these little bikes are a blast on the track.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I do both.

Every organization I've ridden with requires head and tail lights to be taped up. I have also personally seen people burn headlight assemblies by taping over them. It only takes a couple of minutes to disable the lights so I do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts