Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering about how this bike holds up for long road trips? I live in Minnesota and am planning on taking road trips out through South Dakota to Montana, and at least one trip to Oregon. Really hoping the R3 is up to the task as I don't want to spend a ton of cash on, say, a Ninja 650 only to find out that I don't like riding all that much.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
The R3 with it's 321cc engine will hold up during interstate trips if doing the trip solo. A new, well maintained 300cc motorcycle can be ridden across the United States, easily and reliably. If you plan on carrying a passenger, maybe a 500cc or bigger, would be better.
I have taken my R3 into other states, from my state of Pennsylvania to West Virginia for instance. I have ridden the R3 on the highway 8-12 hours during a day. The R3 is more than capable of handling long road trips like the ones you are talking about. A better question would be, are you capable of riding the R3 that kind of distance?

My biggest issue with highway riding is the wind. Small windscreen and too much wind noise. Take a day trip on it. Make sure to spend 8-10 hours on the highway running the bike between 60-80 mph. Then, you will know.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
John +1
You will likely be the 'weak link' on a long road trip. 400-500 miles on any bike is a LONG day. The bike should be fine, lots of stops and short hops will help the operator.... Ever see "Long Way Round"?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I ride up to Reno and back almost every weekend and I can say for sure if you are going to be doing any long distance riding get a comfort seat. It will literally save your ass ;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
X2 on the seat. I ride 10-12 hrs a day once a week too, and that thing gets torturous at the end of the ride. Make sure you have a nice quiet helmet too.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
I have ridden the R3 on the highway 8-12 hours during a day.

I have to add, that is with a few stops and some sightseeing (New River Gorge Bridge). The most miles I've ever ridden the R3 in one day is about 500 miles. The seat did not wear me out even after those 500 miles, for me, it was the wind and the noise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is all music to my ears, great responses truly appreciated. As for "Long Way Round" and "Long Way Down" seen them both and love them. Those documentaries are part of the reason I am getting into bikes. My buddy saw those and pretty much got obsessed with riding and his passion finally infected me.

As far as the seats go, I will be looking for something. I have sat on the R3 and felt the seat was a bit hard for me, then again, I do have titanium plates and screws in my pelvis so everything feels hard to me. :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
I took a trip to West Point in NE, about 45 minutes to an hour ride. Speeds went from 65-99mph. It was windy as **** and it took a lot out of me. It was probably quite a sight to see a 6'2" dude trying to tuck behind that tiny wind screen.

Seat was ok, I was glad to get off after an hour. Wind noise... oh man. Bring your ear plugs. I have a Bell RS-1 which is said to be kind of quiet, screw that. Wear your plugs. Other than that, bike did fine and can't complain. Other than I couldn't keep up with a friends gsxr-600, which is a given. (I knew it wouldn't/can't when I researched/bought the bike).

·
Registered
227 Posts
My daily commute is around 35mins to 50mins each way, earplug is one big thing, I always have a set and bring an extra set with me just in case

I'm still waiting on my zero gravity sports touring windshield and see if it improves with the wind issue, I hate tucking for the whole trip and narrow down the sight(the view is pretty nice along the ride)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Where in MN are you from? I live in Perham and if you ever wanted to go riding I have a few other friends who ride. If your interested ever just send me a message

·
Registered
460 Posts
Get a big tank bag such as the Cortec to lean down on to take the weight off of your hands and butt.
http://www.cortech.net/inc/sdetail/super_2_0_18l_tank_bag/181/569
Get a really quiet and aero flip up helmet like the Schuberth C3 with a pop down sun visor and pin lock inner visor to prevent fogging.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/schuberth-c3-helmet
Use in ear monitors for hearing protection and to play music or GPS in stuctions to help pass the time. The Shure SE215 fit under your helmet the best.
http://www.headphone.com/products/shure-se215-sound-isolating-earphones?ref=yotpo_93

I use a DIY plank style duffel bag luggage system which can actualy improve the aerodynamics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anybody try the "double bubble" wind screen mod to cut down wind noise on the R3?

For a GREAT comfy long distance machine I also highly recommend the Honda CB500X. Upright riding position, and you can get a tall windscreen to cut down the wind.

Juan
Nevada City

·
Registered
223 Posts
Where in MN are you from? I live in Perham and if you ever wanted to go riding I have a few other friends who ride. If your interested ever just send me a message
Perham huh? Home of Tuffys and Barrel 'O Fun. ;)

Have lot's of friends from there Detroit Lakes, and nearby Frazee. Also New York Mills.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Should handle poorly with all that weight carried so high. Better off with soft saddlebags and carry less gear
Strange assumption. That is right behind your hips. It isn't high. Handles 60 pounds like a dream because the mass is so non polar in the roll axis. Putting on a rack and a big trunk is higher and farther back. And the biggest 55 liter trunk only carries half the volume and is far less aero. Saddle bags add even more aero drag. Those big steel adventure boxes hanging off a 300 class bike, forget it.
I wouldn't want to try to get by with less volume. I barely have enough room to carry what I need for cross country tent camping in that 100 liter bag as it is and always have to choose a couple things to leave home.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts