Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For the last 15 years I've owned and run a bicycle repair shop and amongst the 'too good to throw away' boxes of bits I have a big bag of brackets and clamps intended to fit stuff to handlebars and seatposts.
Last week it struck me that some of these clamps are a similar diameter to an R3 throttle tube so I took one home after work, cut it in half, took the ends off and tucked what was left under the cable on the pulley section of my R3 throttle tube. The cable adjuster had plenty of range to reset the tension correctly.
The bracket is 2.5mm thick which is enough to increase the pull ratio on the throttle by 15-18%, roughly calculated. Not earth shattering but enough to notice that less input is required when riding. I haven't glued the piece in place as it's own springiness and the pressure of the throttle cable keep it in place.
The attached picture shows both the piece I used and another original clamp.
[/url]IMG_2181[1] by Keith Whitten, on Flickr[/IMG]

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
So do you just put this into the old throttle tube channel where the cable is? You can also use zip ties. Google zip tie mod or throttle tube zip tie mod.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it just sits under the cable. If you cut it right it can't move.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You could also remove the slack on the cable underneath the rubber cover near the handlbar...you wont have to rotate as much for full throttle.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
You could also remove the slack on the cable underneath the rubber cover near the handlbar...you wont have to rotate as much for full throttle.
While I am not saying removing the slack wont help, its definitely not the same as what the OP is talking about. You can only remove so much slack. All that aside, and assuming all your slack is out, its again, not the same as adding more circumference to the throttle tube.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Not a bad idea if you've got one of those seat collars laying around but I've never been a big fan of modifying throttle tubes. There's always the chance it can slip off during a ride and that could end poorly.

On a side note, R6 throttle tubes reduce the throw a noticeable bit and costs about $30 new from the dealer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not a bad idea if you've got one of those seat collars laying around but I've never been a big fan of modifying throttle tubes. There's always the chance it can slip off during a ride and that could end poorly.

On a side note, R6 throttle tubes reduce the throw a noticeable bit and costs about $30 new from the dealer.
The cable pulley part of the throttle tube sits in a very confined space so I am confident that it is not possible for the sleeve I added to slip off. However, it will be a very quick job to open it up and put a blob of superglue between the two parts for peace of mind.

I was reluctant to use the R6 throttle tube because I have already fitted heated grips which require glueing to the existing throttle tube.

And to answer DabbinDD, I have already adjusted the cable to have the minimum slack whilst still allowing the throttle to move freely. I've always done that on bikes I've owned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts