Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't figure out if when replacing stock exhaust with a full system (in my case M4), do I need to use an O2 sensor port plug???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
The O2 sensor hole must be plugged, otherwise airflow is disrupted, can flow backwards, and messes with the fuel/air ratio.

Plug it with a supplied plug or the stock o2 sensor plug.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
The O2 sensor hole must be plugged, otherwise airflow is disrupted, can flow backwards, and messes with the fuel/air ratio.

Plug it with a supplied plug or the stock o2 sensor plug.
I might be misunderstanding something but when changing to an aftermarket exhaust don't you plug the factory sensor into the exhaust/headers still? Is this what the question is referring to or did you mean a second o2 sensor hole?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I might be misunderstanding something but when changing to an aftermarket exhaust don't you plug the factory sensor into the exhaust/headers still?
Depends...if you're running a fuel controller there's usually an O2 delete of some kind so you can just plug the hole in the exhaust. You can leave the sensor in place if you don't have a plug, but over time since it's not being activated it will end up getting damaged because it won't be heating up and gets "gunked up."
If you're not running a fuel controller you need the O2 sensor for the factory ECU to do it's thing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Depends...if you're running a fuel controller there's usually an O2 delete of some kind so you can just plug the hole in the exhaust. You can leave the sensor in place if you don't have a plug, but over time since it's not being activated it will end up getting damaged because it won't be heating up and gets "gunked up."
If you're not running a fuel controller you need the O2 sensor for the factory ECU to do it's thing.

I'll be using PCV, thank you ^.^ I had been trying to google it but kept pulling up unrelated information

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts