Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Given that the stock rearsets for the R3 is pretty low, and you're too broke to replace it with any aftermarket rearsets, how low can the bike lean before the rearset hits the ground make you fall? I am pretty worried about that everytime I lean..

·
Registered
542 Posts
Stock rearsets fold in. You can grind them away without fear. Once something solid catches then you are in trouble. Kick stand, exhaust, etc.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm more worried about my stock tires giving way first before I hit the footpegs.I don't recommend raising your rearsets UNTIL after you get grippier rubbers otherwise you'll be tempted to lean more than what the tires can handle but that's just my personal opinion.

·
Registered
433 Posts
you will hear and feel the stock rearsets scrape. Usually with stock rearsets and stock tires this is a good indication that you shouldn't lean any further.

I suggest researching up on body positioning. Lean angle is basically risk the more you have the more risk you have of chucking the bike. With good body position you can take turns with less lean angle and less risk but at the same or even faster speeds.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I suggest researching up on body positioning. Lean angle is basically risk the more you have the more risk you have of chucking the bike. With good body position you can take turns with less lean angle and less risk but at the same or even faster speeds.
^This. A good coaching/instruction day at the track teaches ways to make the same turn with less lean.

Like "Twist of the Wrist" suggests.....the lean angle credit card. Nice to have, don't abuse it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
you will hear and feel the stock rearsets scrape. Usually with stock rearsets and stock tires this is a good indication that you shouldn't lean any further.

But if I don't drag knee making that left turn through the intersection how else will I impress the ladies? /s

Bonus: If i don't get leaned wayyyyyyyy over how else will I scrub these chicken strips on my way to work? /s

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I've gotten to the edge of the tires (s20's) without grinding the pegs. That was both on and off the race track and on the rear tire. The front tire had plenty left to go. Oddly, on the stock tires I took the front within 4-5 mm of the edge. Didn't come close to the pegs on those tires either. I'll try and post a pic of how much clearance I have on the bikes stock pegs at the track later.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I found out that with my crossed-up body position, I was using more countersteer, making bike lean more, scraping the peg warnings. Later sessions, off the seat, head and upper body lower and to the inside, less bike lean and still the bike will make the turns. Faster, more on power.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Different tires have different profiles, you may get to the edge of some tires without scraping pegs but may be scraping pegs well before the edge of the tire of another manufacturer (even if they are both the same size i.e. 140/70/17).
Another thing to keep in mind is just because you don't have any chicken strips it doesn't mean you're using all of the tire/grip available

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's the bowl at chuckwalla. So for me around 60ish? I went much slower my second time out there because I crashed at the 2 o'clock session last October lol. Second time I was doing the bowl probably around 50ish.
I assume its mph? over at my country, we use kph. i usually slow down alot before a turn. Im still afraid to lean alot. (im a new rider)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts