Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have more than 8 years of riding experience but just started riding in U.S about 2 weeks. In the evenings, the traffic backs up a lot at certain intersections and I have this urge to use the bike lane (less than 5 or 10mph) and go up all the way and once it is green, I will get away from all the cars. I am pretty sure this is not right according to the rules, but all I want to know is it okay to do this ?
Does anyone here do this ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
As someone who commutes by bicycle more than by motorcycle, I'd be pretty pissed off at motorcycles in that lane. You'll be moving faster, you're a lot heavier, and there are lots of times I'm getting in that lane after FINALLY getting through a lot of cars, so a guy on a motorcycle suddenly appearing would freak me the heck out. We already to deal with the bike lane being used as a parking lot, dog-walking lane, put-the-trash-out lane and general gutter for broken glass, old bumpers, bottles, cans, roofing nails, used condoms, dead animals and hubcaps :)

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
In most states, it is illegal for motor vehicles to use the bike lane. A number of years ago, I was on a bicycle in the bike lane going downhill at about 30. About 100 yds. from a light a guy decided he wanted to do just what you describe - pull from a dead stop into the bike lane - I bounced off the door and landed several yards away, bike was toast. He got written up, I got some nice rash, bruises and a new bike.

With that said, riding on the shoulder is not necessarily illegal, but entails more debris hazards. I have seen cases where highways were backed up and the cops ignored bikes using the shoulders (at a reasonable and prudent speed). At one time, when most bikes were air-cooled, the idea is that bikes were given some allowance in backed up traffic to stay in motion so they wouldn't seize up.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Vehicles are supposed to be in that lane if you are turning right once the lane turns into the dashed lines. That is considered the right turn lane at that point. However, riding up the lane where it is not dashed is not legal, particularly if you are going straight and not turning.

That said, I will at times ride up the bike lane if there's no bikes, plenty of room and I'm going right. Especially if the car in the front is going straight and the people behind were dumb enough NOT to cross into the dashed part of the bike lane.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Over here cyclists run rampant all over the place. They have no accountability so they will ride all over the road and sidewalk even if there is a bike lane. They run red lights, blow stop signs, and basically don't pay attention to any rules of the road.

Therefore I have no problem temporarily using their bike lane if it's clear and safe to do so.

·
Registered
732 Posts
As someone who commutes by bicycle more than by motorcycle, I'd be pretty pissed off at motorcycles in that lane. You'll be moving faster, you're a lot heavier, and there are lots of times I'm getting in that lane after FINALLY getting through a lot of cars, so a guy on a motorcycle suddenly appearing would freak me the heck out. We already to deal with the bike lane being used as a parking lot, dog-walking lane, put-the-trash-out lane and general gutter for broken glass, old bumpers, bottles, cans, roofing nails, used condoms, dead animals and hubcaps :)
While New York City metro and Brooklyn, where I live, aren't clean like Copenhagen or Tokyo, for the most part, it has much improved. There is a culture of throwing trash for some since there is a whole department of sanitation to clean streets, etc. It is kind of like an attitude of I'm going to be messy because I am helping justify these street and municipal cleaners, which is BS. But again, it has improved. Surprisingly, the bike lanes in Brooklyn are pretty free and clear. ON main roads, a lot of people double park though which is ridiculous. The biggest obstacle are the food delivery guys on their little electric scooters that use the bike lane and pay no attention to street laws whatsoever.

Over here cyclists run rampant all over the place. They have no accountability so they will ride all over the road and sidewalk even if there is a bike lane. They run red lights, blow stop signs, and basically don't pay attention to any rules of the road.

Therefore I have no problem temporarily using their bike lane if it's clear and safe to do so.
Most NYC, well Brooklyn cyclists are law abiding. I'd say 10% are like those you describe above.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I didnt say I am going to do it, I was just asking others opinion about it.
I'm with yooks on that one. Yes, I understand you didn't say you were going to, but he did say "if you are going to". So yeah assuming you intended to do something like that, why not just split lanes?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm with yooks on that one. Yes, I understand you didn't say you were going to, but he did say "if you are going to". So yeah assuming you intended to do something like that, why not just split lanes?
Going over speed limit is illegal, but everyone does it. I wanted to know if lot of people use bike lanes at intersection.
This is a one way lane, so there is no option for lane splitting.
I am little worried that the person in the car behind me pays attention and sees me, everytime i stop in the bumper to bumper traffic.
After all, we are trying to suvive with 2 wheels in the 4wheel world :)
And lane splitting is not legal either (florida)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Going over speed limit is illegal, but everyone does it. I wanted to know if lot of people use bike lanes at intersection.
This is a one way lane, so there is no option for lane splitting.
I am little worried that the person in the car behind me pays attention and sees me, everytime i stop in the bumper to bumper traffic.
After all, we are trying to suvive with 2 wheels in the 4wheel world :)
And lane splitting is not legal either (florida)
This isn't about if it's illegal or not. I wasn't judging you on doing legal or illegal stuff on your bike. All I am saying is f you decide to do one illegal thing or the other, for me I would chose lane splitting.

·
Registered
54 Posts
When riding my motor scooter, I regularly use the bike line to pull to the front of the line at a stoplight only if there are no bicycles in it. Technically it is legal in CA to use the bike lane for a small scooter. I've seen motorcyclists do it occasionally and as a driver I don't have a problem with it, provided that there are no actual cyclists around. It's kind of like using the handicap stall when nobody else is there. But in general I stay out of the bike lane as it is for bikes. I was once flying uphill at 40mph next to the bike lane and was surprised by a skateboarder coming downhill on it, I can only imagine the disaster if there were a motorized bike in his way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts