Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Looks like the OEM/Yamaha frame slider kit, requires drilling into the fairings I'm pretty sure, subsequently, you could opt for oggy knobs or others like that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes, they are the OEM frame slider kit you can buy at a dealership (or possibly online). They do require drilling into the fairings and are relatively sturdy for its design, but I trust an aftermarket frame slider more than the OEM one; to me, the OEM is just for aesthetics, not function.

Also, depending on which aftermarket frame sliders you get (R&G Racing, Woodcraft, Womet-Tech), you will not be able to fit both the OEM sliders and the aftermarket frame sliders without modifications. Graves and Vagabond ones are designed differently and will be okay. Don't ask me how I know this, but suffice to say the OEM frame sliders on my bike are purely for aesthetics now...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, they are the OEM frame slider kit you can buy at a dealership (or possibly online). They do require drilling into the fairings and are relatively sturdy for its design, but I trust an aftermarket frame slider more than the OEM one; to me, the OEM is just for aesthetics, not function.

Also, depending on which aftermarket frame sliders you get (R&G Racing, Woodcraft, Womet-Tech), you will not be able to fit both the OEM sliders and the aftermarket frame sliders without modifications. Graves and Vagabond ones are designed differently and will be okay. Don't ask me how I know this, but suffice to say the OEM frame sliders on my bike are purely for aesthetics now...
Looks like the OEM/Yamaha frame slider kit, requires drilling into the fairings I'm pretty sure, subsequently, you could opt for oggy knobs or others like that.

True but I just want the got the looks :p

·
Super Moderator
1,314 Posts
I wish someone would make a *lightweight* Vagabond style slider, for the sole purpose of the dreaded gas station drop / stop light stop / parking lot gravel drop / etc. If I crash at 25+ mph ... the bike's frame and fairings are the least of my concerns.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I wish someone would make a *lightweight* Vagabond style slider, for the sole purpose of the dreaded gas station drop / stop light stop / parking lot gravel drop / etc.
:eek:

When does THIS ever happen? Man, if you can't keep a small lightweight bike like the R3 off the ground... maybe "motorcycles" ain't your thing!

·
Registered
197 Posts

When does THIS ever happen? Man, if you can't keep a small lightweight bike like the R3 off the ground... maybe "motorcycles" ain't your thing!
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Super Moderator
1,314 Posts

Have you ever slipped on oil or gravel ... no traction, you ain't keeping a feather off of the ground!!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I just watched someone who is a much better rider than any of us drop a lightweight bike the other day due to gravel.

Oh, but wait, his CBR1000 will not ever do that on the street.

·
Registered
271 Posts
True but I just want the got the looks :p

I have them on my bike, like others have said youll need to drill or use a plastic reamer on your fairings. Theres a X on the inside of the fairings showing you where to drill.

They dont look like theyll do much, but i got them for a similar reason. Minor protection and looks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I just watched someone who is a much better rider than any of us drop a lightweight bike the other day due to gravel.
Oh, but wait, his CBR1000 will not ever do that on the street.
:laugh:

I had a couple of close calls on both my bikes.
On the R3, it was because the stock tires suck. I pushed out wide in a turn. It wouldn't hold the line, and I wasn't about to lean it over any farther than it already was. No danger of on-coming traffic, I was on a divided 4-lane.
On the CBR, both times, it happened at a freeway on-ramp. I was turning to get on the on-ramp, and the bike slid sideways. Both times at night. Both times, I never saw anything on the road surface. I was lucky. I could have went down, but I just slid for a bit. I let off the throttle and put my feet out. I think the bike saved me!
;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts