Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my wife and I live in an apartment and have no garage, if I get a bike I will cover it and use a disc lock. From the research I've done, I've read good and bad about disc locks with alarms. Some have reported false alarms frequently and ended up taking the battery out. What's your experience with them?

·
Registered
141 Posts
All good, just get a disc lock from a reputable company like Xena. I was leery about getting Cycle Gear's Stockton brand. I've used the Xena XX-6 disc lock and have had no problems; just make sure you attach it a certain way on the brake disc because different angles (holes) will have more sensitivity.

If you can, use a motorcycle chain with a padlock built in and chain it next to an pole or solid object in your complex with a bike cover.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Mine would alarm when ever it was windy (it was a Xena). The false alarms weren't that frequent but I don't use an alarmed one now

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I've never used one but the idea behind it is it locks the rotor and alarms if messed with yeah? So say you hear it and the would be thieves sense you are running outside, they either panic and move the bike, damaging the rotor, or panic and drop the bike, damaging fairings. Why not just let the bike be and let insurance do its thing? I've never had a bike stolen so I don't know if the process is different from an accident but from different instances, my insurance claims on my bikes have been pretty fast and painless.

·
Super Moderator
1,314 Posts
Mine would alarm when ever it was windy (it was a Xena). The false alarms weren't that frequent but I don't use an alarmed one now
Same here, my Xena kept false alarming, so I wound up taking the battery out in the end.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
I've had my eye on the Oxford Boss but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. I like the Xena models but everyone complains about false alarms and/or the key being difficult to get in, causing the alarm to sound while unlocking it.
Reviews on the Boss have been better but I just haven't felt like spending the money yet.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Had xena. Thing went off all the time. A little wind, a spec of dust, etc. Bought two of the stockton from cycle gear and so far the best and most inexpensive I've ever used. For added security, I went to a marine shop and bought some nice thick anchor chain and threw that around my back rim with a nice big lock. There are plenty more options as well. Ground lock (bolted to ground), storage units, alarm systems. Just keep your options open and make sure to remember that if a thief really wants your bike, they will get to it. Getting a nice good insurance coverage and ample protection to make it more difficult for them to steal is always the best option.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Was using an old bicycle U lock and cable to temporarily secure my bike to a post but quickly upgraded to an Abus 8077 disc lock + chain combo. Both the chain and disc lock is beefy and the disc lock has an audible alarm which works great to alert you any kind of motion to the bike and doesn't seem to generate too many false positives. Also when I'm out and about I can carry the disc lock with me another reason I decided on this 2 in 1 security combo.

The only negative I've found so far is disc alarm activates rather quickly so I've set it off numerous times just trying to join the disc lock with the chain. However, I'm sure after much more use and practice should be able to get join them quickly together without setting off the alarm.

Reactions: Omnislug

·
Registered
197 Posts
I use 2 disc locks (Kryptonite). No alarm.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I currently use a Xena XX15 and have not had any false alarms. Granted, I did not use the battery it came with and bought a new one to use instead. No false alarms yet and it's been a month.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'll be getting one of these for mine, but I keep it in my shed well out of sight of anyone. My two cents is we should hang anyone who steals bikes, eventually there will be no more bike thieves!

·
Registered
370 Posts
My brother in law had a non alarmed disk lock. Shortly after install after parking on a street he forgot it was on there.

He hopped on, started it up and tried to ride away. Not sure exactly what broke, but it was his front rotor at a minimum..

·
Registered
329 Posts
My brother in law had a non alarmed disk lock. Shortly after install after parking on a street he forgot it was on there.

He hopped on, started it up and tried to ride away. Not sure exactly what broke, but it was his front rotor at a minimum..
he needs that disc lock reminder cable that you can loop around the handlebars :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts