Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have made my mind for two motorcycles the r3 and the kawasaki ninja 300 ABS(I have heard this little ninja is the best option for new unexperienced riders) well r3 has its own benefits but should I start riding with out ABS (I can afford a 6k+ bike and I think a 300cc+ is a good start nvm I would like to hear ur opinions. (Help the newbies) ;-)

·
Registered
856 Posts
Do not learn to ride on ABS,
It should be banned from LAMS bikes.

you'll never learn correct technique, just bad habits,
and the second you get your big boy bike you'll bit the big one.... HARD.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First of all thanks for replying, I have heard that if ur bike has Abs is more steady in wet roads... Etc also I would like to hear ur opinions about the ninja 300 and r3 if u can of course. ;P(Btw I live in Eu,Greece and experienced with mountain bikes <3 since for ever)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
first of all thanks for replying, i have heard that if ur bike has abs is more steady in wet roads... Etc also i would like to hear ur opinions about the ninja 300 and r3 if u can of course. ;p(btw i live in eu,greece and i am experienced with mountain bikes <3 since for ever)
;333

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

and the second you get your big boy bike you'll bit the big one.... HARD.[/QUOTE ]First of all thanks for replying, I have heard that if ur bike has Abs is more steady in wet roads... Etc also I would like to hear ur opinions about the ninja 300 and r3 if u can of course. ;P(Btw I live in Eu,Greece and i am experienced with mountain bikes <3 since for ever)

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
I've never ridden on a bike with ABS and I've never found myself in a situation where ABS would have saved the day. I know the benefits and I'm sure in some situations, situations I've been lucky enough to avoid so far, that ABS could definitely be of a benefit but I've learned how to manipulate the bike and the brakes in different situations and that has served me well.
ABS is heavier, costs more and can help to create some bad habits with newer riders.

In the end, it's up to you whether or not you want ABS but we're doing just fine without it here in the NA R3 world.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, a lot of the R3's overseas DO have ABS. They don't in Greece?
Unfortunately they don't well if someone is able to compare the ninja 300 with the r3 I would be happy to hear his opinions (talking about the first bike btw) Thank you all for the interest and for replying so fast <3

·
Registered
267 Posts
I test rode both and decided on the R3. It's a little narrower which I liked but not enough that it was a primary factor. The clutch feel was a little better for me, the engine had a little more pull from a stop and at low RPMs and it felt just a tad easier for me to steer. I can't say the power difference was dramatic or anything, and the steering may have just been me fitting the bike better and the lighter weight of the bike.
I did prefer the gauge cluster better. It looked just a bit more like a bigger bike and for me was easier to read and get the info I wanted. The clip on setup is also nicer in my opinion, just looks a bit more refined. This is definitely all subjective here but I just felt better on the R3. In addition, I recall that some of the maintenance intervals on the R3 are longer than those on the Ninja.
I didn't try an ABS Ninja but I wasn't about to deliberately try and get ABS to activate anyway so it didn't matter. Since here the costs are basically equal, I went with the R3 since as mentioned, I just felt better on it.
I can't speak much on ABS vs non ABS for a first bike. I know you can make a decision that all bikes you ever buy will have it, but if that's what you learn on it will definitely be something extra to account for later.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Seriously, IF the roads you travel are consistently wet, ABS would be the logical choice, especially for a newbie. The R3 and the Ninja are so similar that a newbie wouldn't know the difference. Personally, I like ABS just for the slight edge it would be giving me in certain situations and I've been riding for 30+ years. I live in Florida so rain is a BIG factor when riding yet I NEVER (I believe) have had to utilize the ABS feature of my bikes or cars. Do some research, the Ninja 250/300 has been out there for a while (a lot of improvements/refinements over the years), the R3 only about 2. (R3: big recalls .,... shifter and oil pump). I chose my R3 (no ABS) over the Ninja (comes with or without ABS) when I was shopping because I HAVE years of riding to fall back on and have had my share of falls and crashes with and without ABS, mostly without. It's a hard choice BUT IF I was starting anew, I would lean MORE towards the Ninja.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well thanks for replying. Greece its known about those fking sunny days that will burn ur @Ss (sorry about the language) well it rains sometimes but if it rains a lot and I have to go somewhere I ll use the car ;3

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I test rode both and decided on the R3. It's a little narrower which I liked but not enough that it was a primary factor. The clutch feel was a little better for me, the engine had a little more pull from a stop and at low RPMs and it felt just a tad easier for me to steer. I can't say the power difference was dramatic or anything, and the steering may have just been me fitting the bike better and the lighter weight of the bike.
I did prefer the gauge cluster better. It looked just a bit more like a bigger bike and for me was easier to read and get the info I wanted. The clip on setup is also nicer in my opinion, just looks a bit more refined. This is definitely all subjective here but I just felt better on the R3. In addition, I recall that some of the maintenance intervals on the R3 are longer than those on the Ninja.
I didn't try an ABS Ninja but I wasn't about to deliberately try and get ABS to activate anyway so it didn't matter. Since here the costs are basically equal, I went with the R3 since as mentioned, I just felt better on it.
I can't speak much on ABS vs non ABS for a first bike. I know you can make a decision that all bikes you ever buy will have it, but if that's what you learn on it will definitely be something extra to account for later.
Thanks for replying and your personal experience kinda handy ty.

·
Registered
732 Posts

and the second you get your big boy bike you'll bit the big one.... HARD.

I agree and second that notion. I am old school. People are already generally crappy at driving cars and riding bikes, and then there is all this driver and rider assisted crapola. If you cannot parallel park, frankly, you shouldn't be driving. It is more important on a bike to learn all the proper techniques without aids or assistance. It takes a lot of riding and experience to learn all the nuances, and proper methods. One day, probably all bikes will have rider aids like traction control, etc. I would love for all bikes to be safer but still want that experience where you are in control and "feel" everything vs losing all the techniques you need and use to be a good rider, if you will. That is, I would hate for everything to be done by an ECU and lose the whole "feel and experience" of the ride.

You can't go wrong with either bike. Personally, I have been a Yamaha and Honda guy my whole life but when it came down to 300's, I chose between the R3 and Ninja 300. Settled with the former obviously, and couldn't be happier with the choice.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Personally, ABS can save your life if you are a new rider. It takes months to years to develop the riding skills and situational awareness to be able to control a bike in the scenarios where ABS would save your ass and, even then, there are situations where it would still be nice to have. Look down forums with bikes that have it and you'll see it. There's all kinds of stories about guys who are VERY experienced riders being very happy they had ABS in a particular situation or two.

I want to make this point very clear, relying on rider aids to skill up absolutely can hold you back, but all it takes is one time for ABS to save your life. I cannot recommend ABS enough on a motorcycle and there is a reason why everyone is moving in the direction of offering it on bikes. Premium bikes with tons of electronics have had it for years, but luckily, it is a cheap OPTION on entry level bikes.

If someone doesn't want it on their bike, fine, but don't look down on others for valuing their life over some silly mindset that having ABS will inherently make them a lesser rider.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Personally, ABS can save your life if you are a new rider. It takes months to years to develop the riding skills and situational awareness to be able to control a bike in the scenarios where ABS would save your ass and, even then, there are situations where it would still be nice to have. Look down forums with bikes that have it and you'll see it. There's all kinds of stories about guys who are VERY experienced riders being very happy they had ABS in a particular situation or two.

I want to make this point very clear, relying on rider aids to skill up absolutely can hold you back, but all it takes is one time for ABS to save your life. I cannot recommend ABS enough on a motorcycle and there is a reason why everyone is moving in the direction of offering it on bikes. Premium bikes with tons of electronics have had it for years, but luckily, it is a cheap OPTION on entry level bikes.

If someone doesn't want it on their bike, fine, but don't look down on others for valuing their life over some silly mindset that having ABS will inherently make them a lesser rider.
Even though i own an R3 (with no ABS of course), I agree with your statement. I steered my gf towards the Ninja 300 mostly due to ABS. I still have her practice proper braking techniques, especially panic braking, but I am thankful she has the added addition of ABS.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts