Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the diameter of the header pipes from aftermarket exhausts different from the OEM headers? I'm wondering if I have an Akrapovic full exhaust but then at some point the can needs to be replaced, will most slip-ons fit or do I have to replace it with that same can that the full system comes with? If so where would one even buy just the can? I noticed that in the case of Akrapovic, the can from the full system looks different than their slip-on, but I wonder what the diameter of the pipe is where it attaches to it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm not sure about Akropovic, but I did have an R3 badged Yosh slipon and then bought the full Yosh. The diameter of the slip-on is smaller(to fit the stock mid-pipe), while the full system exhaust can was larger to fit larger mid-pipe on full system.

I'm guessing the same holds true for all exhausts, as the benefit of a full exhaust is larger diameter tubing.

·
Registered
271 Posts
When i got my r3 last year, i emailed akrapovic and asked the same thing. They told me no, that it wont physically fit. I wanted to buy the header and use the gp slip on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure about Akropovic, but I did have an R3 badged Yosh slipon and then bought the full Yosh. The diameter of the slip-on is smaller(to fit the stock mid-pipe), while the full system exhaust can was larger to fit larger mid-pipe on full system.

I'm guessing the same holds true for all exhausts, as the benefit of a full exhaust is larger diameter tubing.
When i got my r3 last year, i emailed akrapovic and asked the same thing. They told me no, that it wont physically fit. I wanted to buy the header and use the gp slip on.

Thanks guys. That's what I figured was the case because it's similar to most other bikes. But so my other question is....where do you find a replacement can that fits with aftermarket headers? I've yet to come across any place that sells that. It's either just a slip-on or the entire full exhaust.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If u have a leo vinci header, they said that all of their cans will fit the header.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Thanks guys. That's what I figured was the case because it's similar to most other bikes. But so my other question is....where do you find a replacement can that fits with aftermarket headers? I've yet to come across any place that sells that. It's either just a slip-on or the entire full exhaust.
If the stock slip on silencer fits the aftermarket header then the header isn't designed correctly. I spoke with the engineer at Graves and he told me that t he diameter of the stock pipe is to small to make maximum power with a full system

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts