Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I'm thinking about what kind of gear to get for the summer (I'm new to riding so I only got the gear for fall for now) and I was wondering if anybody had any experience with the draggin long john pant liners. I was thinking about wearing just normal shorts with the draggin liner under them and then getting the Dainese Hard shorts (or something similar) and the Knee V E1 N knee guards for my knees/shins.

I'm also open to other suggestions, I would just rather not have to get a pair of overpants for the short ride I have to work (5 minutes if I hit every light). I also have to travel to different locations at work so If I could just throw knee pads on that would be easier.

Thanks!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Im a pretty pro-gear guy, but I wouldn't even bother with knee pads or an add on liner on a commute like that. Get a decent pair of armored jeans or khakis that can pass as work clothes and roll with it. Some of them have integrated knee pads, but they are usually more bulky.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im a pretty pro-gear guy, but I wouldn't even bother with knee pads or an add on liner on a commute like that. Get a decent pair of armored jeans or khakis that can pass as work clothes and roll with it. Some of them have integrated knee pads, but they are usually more bulky.
I have a pair of armored jeans (and just ordered another pair actually) I'm just worried about the heat since where I am in NY its not only hot but it gets insanely humid. I guess I could always just wear the jeans on the ride and then change into shorts when I get here too.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Not sure what the liner in question is or how well it will stay where it is supposed to. If you can wear it, and move it around with your hand, I would imagine a crash at typical road speed will move it around to the point where it won't do its job. I've crashed a few times. On a public road and on the track. Any time I go for a ride through the twisties I wear full leather. Would much much rather sweat than bleed and get rashed up. I did all leathers in full summer heat in San Diego most weekends. My commute to work was on the I5, so that's around 85 mph. I would wear either Icon or Bilt Kevlar reinforced denims with built in padding. Looking back now, not sure if those would help me much at those speeds, but it was the compromise I made for comfort, ease of use and risk to myself. Some of my guys at work wore only their military uniform, which I am sure would just get shredded at the speeds we do in Cali. I have crashed in those Kevlar reinforced jeans(granted it was in the city at much lower speeds) and the padding in the knee absolutely helps.

I can't imagine how any type of padding actually stays on a persons arms or legs if it isn't being held down by a jacket or riding pants. You are moving 20+mph on a 360 pound machine, the energy you are carrying surely will be enough to move that padding around. Those guys you see rocking just padding, I honestly have no idea how much damage that is going to mitigate in a crash.

Regarding heat, as long as you are moving, the heat isn't a big deal. Luckily for California, and here overseas( the rest of the world it seems), lane splitting is allowed.

Edit: not sure if you were serious with the shorts comment. Go watch some crash videos.

Another thing I forgot to mention is a proper boot actual ankle support. There is a pretty good video of a girl losing her foot on a two up ride. I don't want to sound like I want everyone encasing themselves in a bomb shelter, but where I come from traffic flowed pretty fast and gear absolutely will help you out in a crash.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure what the liner in question is or how well it will stay where it is supposed to. If you can wear it, and move it around with your hand, I would imagine a crash at typical road speed will move it around to the point where it won't do its job. I've crashed a few times. On a public road and on the track. Any time I go for a ride through the twisties I wear full leather. Would much much rather sweat than bleed and get rashed up. I did all leathers in full summer heat in San Diego most weekends. My commute to work was on the I5, so that's around 85 mph. I would wear either Icon or Bilt Kevlar reinforced denims with built in padding. Looking back now, not sure if those would help me much at those speeds, but it was the compromise I made for comfort, ease of use and risk to myself. Some of my guys at work wore only their military uniform, which I am sure would just get shredded at the speeds we do in Cali. I have crashed in those Kevlar reinforced jeans(granted it was in the city at much lower speeds) and the padding in the knee absolutely helps.

I can't imagine how any type of padding actually stays on a persons arms or legs if it isn't being held down by a jacket or riding pants. You are moving 20+mph on a 360 pound machine, the energy you are carrying surely will be enough to move that padding around. Those guys you see rocking just padding, I honestly have no idea how much damage that is going to mitigate in a crash.

Regarding heat, as long as you are moving, the heat isn't a big deal. Luckily for California, and here overseas( the rest of the world it seems), lane splitting is allowed.

Edit: not sure if you were serious with the shorts comment. Go watch some crash videos.

Another thing I forgot to mention is a proper boot actual ankle support. There is a pretty good video of a girl losing her foot on a two up ride. I don't want to sound like I want everyone encasing themselves in a bomb shelter, but where I come from traffic flowed pretty fast and gear absolutely will help you out in a crash.
The liners are fully kevlar long john's (http://www.dragginjeans.com/draggin-liners/) that I would wear underneath a pair of shorts for abrasion resistance, along with the knee pads and the armored compression shorts. Unfortunately here in NY lane splitting isn't legal. The main problem for me isn't the heat, its the humidity that's borderline unbearable in a t shirt and shorts in a car, let alone in full leather riding gear. I've got kevlar lined armored jeans, and have another pair on the way since I have crap BiLT ones that don't fit very well and the armor sucks and moves all over the place. I've also have a pair of A*stars SMX3 half boots for longer/highway rides and then the anaheim riding shoes for short around town rides.

Worst case scenario I've got an armored hoodie and an a*stars gp plus r perf leather jacket that I can wear, I just probably won't be too dry in it.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'm in NJ, so same shitty weather. I wear plain/armored jeans year round. Mesh jacket when it's really hot, perfed leather if it's under 90, solid leather in the winter. You are going to sweat, it's a fact of life on the bike.

I really don't think the liner system is a viable long term solution. Honestly, it's a pain in the ass to swap pants. Put your pants on once and be done with it. Just my .02 on the pants situation having commuted for years.

Also, I split lanes like it's my job every where but the city. Got one ticket in four years, a rate I'm willing to work with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts