Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2020 R3 ABS
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw some much older threads on this topic but nothing resolved. My bike loves to drop a gear or false neutral well after my shift has completed and I've been in the gear for several seconds. I'm not talking about it popping right out when I shift; it engages and I've got drive.

I'm running the aRacer mini5 and quick shifter, but this happened even before the quick shifter (still clutchless)...just not as often. Shifting with the clutch everything shifts fine and smoothly, so it's not a shift arm adjustment issue unless we're talking about moving it one spline for shits and giggles. I struggled a lot with the timing on the q/s but I think I got it pretty good now with a 91+ms kill time, which seems high to me but is what's smoothest.

Anyway, with the quick shifter it's happening all the time. Mostly 4th to 3rd, but sometimes 6th to 5th. Those gears could just be a function of where I am on my local track and what I'm doing. I saw one of the older threads mention being leaned over and I am slightly leaned over to the left on the track in both places I have the issue with those gears.

Sometimes it's a false neutral and the gear indicator goes blank. Sometimes it pops out of 4th to 3rd, I go back to 4th and start going again and then it pops out into a false neutral.

So is it me or the bike/transmission?
Do I need to go higher/lower on the kill time?

One thing I haven't tried is doing a full sessions shifting WITH the clutch in every gear. I could try that and see what happens, but next track day won't be until 2023.

· Super Moderator
2016 Yamaha YZF-R3
262 Posts
If it's dropping from one gear to the next, it's time to undercut your transmission.

If you're shifting up, and then it drops right back, or goes to neutral, try getting an undercut shift star and heavy duty detent spring.

You can get the detent spring from Norton Motorsports: Heavy Duty Shift Detent Spring – Yamaha R3 / MT-03

You can also get your transmission undercut here: Transmission Undercutting – ‘Road Race Cut’

I'm having similar issues, have an undercut transmission and detent spring ready to go in, I'll be completely rebuilding my engine though as well.

· Registered
2020 R3 ABS
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dammit, that sounds like it. I don't have an issue with it kicking right back down. It shifts and I'm driving in the next gear and then all of a sudden it drops down to the last gear or in between the two.

Human body Gesture Slope Line Font

Here's the track. I come through T10-11 in 3rd gear, as soon as I can stand it up a little and drive out of T11 I shift into 4th and then into 5th right as I tip into the T12. But half my laps it's dropping down into 3rd or a false neutral (or both) before T12...and I'm leaned over the entire time from tip in at 10 until the exit of 12.

It happens with 6th to 5th, less frequently, but on the back straight between T2 and T3. It's a straight but several kinks where you're slightly leaning left. I hit T1 in 4th, grab 5 on the exit and 6th as I'm exiting T2 and seriously like half way betweent 2 and 3 it will drop back to 5th sometimes. Super sketch when I'm already maxing out at 105-110mph on a section where the bigger bikes are coming in at 130-140+. Even T12 is really fast and scary when I'm losing all drive right when the big bikes I passed in the backfield are coming back past me lol.

· Super Moderator
2016 Yamaha YZF-R3
262 Posts
Yep undercut and heavy detent minimum, would definitely recommend getting your shift star undercut as well. Mine will drop into neutral rarely, but will drop from 4th to 3rd, 5th to 4th, 4th to 2nd, then also refuse to shift up or down at times. When I rebuild I fully expect to find at least slightly bent shift forks as well, so probably going to be replacing more parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts