Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last night around 8.30 a drunk 70 year old man didnt stop at the lights and bumped me from behind, luckily I didn't loose the balance and fall, but I felt the jolt but got away without a scrape on me.

So I was coming home after playing volley ball near my home like 3 miles away and stopped in a red light, I was only doing 40mph and came to a full stop gradually reducing the speed, there was nothing dramatic about it. You would look at your rear view mirror if it was an abrupt stop, since I slowed down gradually and in Neutral gear, I didn't even look at the mirror. I was on the right most lane and I could see a guy (Miguel) in middle lane taking a look at my bike and the next second I felt this enormous push from behind and I realized I am in a crash. The guy on the middle lane immediately pulled over and told me that he is calling cops because the driver who hit me is drunk, apparently he is a biker too and he stayed with me to make sure I am alright till the cops arrived. His name is Miguel and a very good man. The driver who hit me was so drunk that he was looking at Miguel's car and telling me that there is no damage in the car, he didn't even know that he hit my motorcycle. I consider myself to be very lucky to got away without any injuries.
So cops came and gave us the Drivers exchange information report. I couldn't see any physical damage on my bike except the number plate caved in a little bit. Miguel advised me to check for any frame damage with the dealer.

Now what should I do ? Should I call the other guys insurance and request them to schedule me an appointment with a dealer to check the damage or should I take it to a dealer and check it myself and approach insurance if it is really needed ? I did the physical inspection of the bike, I dont see any problem, may be the wheel took the impact ? Any advise ?

Ride safe !

·
Registered
67 Posts
Was the driver arrested? Normally your insurance pursues the other driver for liability, but if your insurance has no claim then they're not going to do that. You could pursue the other driver yourself through small claims court for the cost of a bent license plate but obviously that's silly. From your description it doesn't sound likely you have frame damage or any damage other than superficial. I'm not sure I would waste more money on dealer inspections under these circumstances. If it was me, I would let it go as a cheap lesson that bad things happen to good people, accidents can happen when you least expect them, and maybe revisit your lifestyle/riding habits and what you can do to minimize your exposure while still living life on two wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was the driver arrested? Normally your insurance pursues the other driver for liability, but if your insurance has no claim then they're not going to do that. You could pursue the other driver yourself through small claims court for the cost of a bent license plate but obviously that's silly. From your description it doesn't sound likely you have frame damage or any damage other than superficial. I'm not sure I would waste more money on dealer inspections under these circumstances. If it was me, I would let it go as a cheap lesson that bad things happen to good people, accidents can happen when you least expect them, and maybe revisit your lifestyle/riding habits and what you can do to minimize your exposure while still living life on two wheels.

I didnt wait till the end, but I just looked up online and saw his mugshots for DUI.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If the accident wasn't your fault, there is no reason for your insurance to know about it or else it could go on your record. I would take the bike to a shop you trust and then file a claim with the drunk guys insurance and tell them where you took the bike so they can send out a adjuster. At least that's what I always do for car accidents. Don't think it would be much different for a Insurance claim involving a motorcycle. Or I could be completely wrong lol
that's if you want to take it in and ended up needing to fix it

Regardless I would have it checked out or just keep an eye out for any leaks and weird noises.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the accident wasn't your fault, there is no reason for your insurance to know about it or else it could go on your record. I would take the bike to a shop you trust and then file a claim with the drunk guys insurance and tell them where you took the bike so they can send out a adjuster. At least that's what I always do for car accidents. Don't think it would be much different for a Insurance claim involving a motorcycle. Or I could be completely wrong lol
that's if you want to take it in and ended up needing to fix it

Regardless I would have it checked out or just keep an eye out for any leaks and weird noises.

Yes. I called his insurance (geico) and scheduled an appointment. Will update you guys.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It might be different there, but here in NZ if you're not at fault it doesn't affect your no claims bonus. I'd get in touch with your insurance company if I was you. Less hassle to let them chase the other party. Either way the bike definitely needs to be checked out as there can be all sorts of unseen damage. If it gets a clean bill of health you've at least got piece of mind.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts