Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there a way to upgrade r3/mt03 front axle to dual disc and calipers like the mt07

I was thinking of buying this fork to get it fit

Gas Cylinder Font Artifact Nickel

I need ofc more.

mt07 front wheel with discs

calipers

hoses

front fender

·
Vendor
2016 Yamaha YZF-R3
203 Posts
I'd recommend upgrading the stock single disc setup long before going to completely different forks and wheel, as you'll run into suspension and geometry issues more than likely then. You can get a far better rotor, pads, lines, and even a radial master and save weight, time, and money.

A couple options for rotors:

BrakeTech

Galfer

Brake Lines:

Galfer

Radial Master:

Brembo

Pads:

DP RDP Pads

With all of that you have more than enough stopping force, and doesn't add additional weight or issues. I'm still running stock rotor and master, with Galfer SBK lines and DP pads on my racebike, and it's more than enough to do stoppies.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice answer, to be curious why does it run it suspension settings both are 41mm or will it be the spring that is different inside?

·
Vendor
2016 Yamaha YZF-R3
203 Posts
Nice answer, to be curious why does it run it suspension settings both are 41mm or will it be the spring that is different inside?
The spring rates are different as well as the damping rods. You also don't know what the overall lengths of the forks are, and the wheel is a different profile and will require a 120 tire.

·
Vendor
2016 Yamaha YZF-R3
203 Posts
It'll change your turn in rate considerably slower, and it'll be really awkward unless you match the rear. So not only will you need to replace forks, wheel, brake lines, master cylinder, but also re-spring, change internal fork spacer, and also front and rear tire. You'll end up spending a lot more money for less performance in the end.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Brakes do not stop a vehicle, the tires do, Brakes only resist wheel speed, that is transferred to the tires. If you are able to slide the front tire with the existing brake, or stand the bike on its front tire, their is no need for an additional brake force. If the brakes are not suffering over-getting or fade, there no need for additional brake surface area or additional brake capacity. The reason the R3 has a single rotor is that the front tire can only provide so much braking force with the load placed on it (at max rated bike load). Adding more brake won't improve anything, and may increase potential for locking up / low side incidents. On a track race bike, on sticky track tires, brake upgrades, in the form of rotor, caliper, line, and pad improvements will allow the rider to take advantage of the added grip... But even then, the lighter weight overall will deliver some advantage as well. Adding unnecessary weight to the front wheel, from adding brake hardware and bigger tire, will make the bike worse, not better.

·
Vendor
2016 Yamaha YZF-R3
203 Posts
Brakes do not stop a vehicle, the tires do, Brakes only resist wheel speed, that is transferred to the tires. If you are able to slide the front tire with the existing brake, or stand the bike on its front tire, their is no need for an additional brake force. If the brakes are not suffering over-getting or fade, there no need for additional brake surface area or additional brake capacity. The reason the R3 has a single rotor is that the front tire can only provide so much braking force with the load placed on it (at max rated bike load). Adding more brake won't improve anything, and may increase potential for locking up / low side incidents. On a track race bike, on sticky track tires, brake upgrades, in the form of rotor, caliper, line, and pad improvements will allow the rider to take advantage of the added grip... But even then, the lighter weight overall will deliver some advantage as well. Adding unnecessary weight to the front wheel, from adding brake hardware and bigger tire, will make the bike worse, not better.
This is the best explanation as to why doing a dual rotor, with larger wheel and tire is a terrible idea for the R3. Thank you!

·
Registered
433 Posts
You mean your fork seals are starting to leak? Thats like $120 done professionally, easy peasy. That's like saying, my oil needs changed so I might as well throw an R6 engine in.
The compulsion to fiddle with things is what makes us human -as us fixing things in a manner that makes them less than they were broken.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi
irrelevant of what your take is on modifications its down to personal choice, i currently have wider rims and twin brake conversion coming, this company sell the absolute lot for R3.s, whatsapp this kid Hafiz, sorted me out with my stuff. I will be posting the mod results when fitted and tested!
Tupai Revsport
Malaysia
CP:
HAFIZ: +60194323257
good luck

Marshy

·
Registered
433 Posts
There are great mods that make the bike better, vanity mods, and mods that make it worse. It's personal choice to be sure, just as it is when someone paints their ride with hot pink house paint, or installs a trailer hitch to tow a camper. Personal choice doesn't make the decision a good choice - but, in my experience, personal choice has wrecked more motorcycles than crashes. I know, I've destroyed my share of bikes with mods -The proverbial spending $2,000 to make a $5,000 bike worth $3,000 syndrome that infects motorcyclists around the world.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For those that are curious, sv650 forks, spacer, wheel and calipers are a direct bolt-on for the 1st gen R3's. You will need brake lines obviously and a different master cylinder, but I have seen it done with my own eyes. One of the guys at the track has exactly this done and why I know it is possible.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts