Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... Not a Baby Panigale, but maybe better.

Sexy bodywork. 939 engine from the Hypermotard means similar but more accessible torque. Probably missing 40 hp over the 959 that you'll never tap until you're way illegal.

Most importantly, I don't see any exhaust piping making a u-turn under that seat :D.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I really agree that it looks sweet and I would gladly take one, but I am not seeing a big market for it. New models should add new buyers, not cannibalize sales from other models. Doubt the price will differ from the 959 and most buyers want that extra power - even if they don't need it. Ducati killed off the super sport in the mid 2000s because buyers could get more performance out of the 749/999 super bikes. Just not seeing what has changed in how buyers act. Looking forward to seeing some tests of the bike.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I, for one, am interested in this bike. Not so much for myself, but for my fiance for sure. If they can make this more of a functional bike for places other than the track then it is an easy sell. The only problem I have with the current Ducatis, which isn't a problem really, is they are so track focused. Kind of like comparing a Dayonta 675R to a CBR600RR.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really agree that it looks sweet and I would gladly take one, but I am not seeing a big market for it. New models should add new buyers, not cannibalize sales from other models. Doubt the price will differ from the 959 and most buyers want that extra power - even if they don't need it. Ducati killed off the super sport in the mid 2000s because buyers could get more performance out of the 749/999 super bikes. Just not seeing what has changed in how buyers act. Looking forward to seeing some tests of the bike.
The Supersport might be meant to cannibalize the 959 down the road, seeing as the market seems to be shying away from mid-size sportbikes in favor of the 300/Liter divide. Losing the aggressive position and exhaust heat makes this Duc mid entry a little less likely to fall off into the "too much hassle for what you get" perception that the 600 class suffers lately.

In my case, I love everything about the 959 except that exhaust routed right under my thighs. If the SS loses the heat and a few thousand $$ I could see one sharing a parking spot with my R3.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm mad ducati didn't come out with this last fall, would have bought this over my Street Triple R. This was EXACTLY the bike I wanted haha

·
Registered
271 Posts
Most Ducs are reliable. A family friend has a monster sr2 with 70,000 miles. His 916 and 996 sps are both running great for older bikes. He does regular maintenance and service. My dads 1100s monster had no issues when he had it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts