Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some feedback on the alpha 13's vs Pirelli supercorsa's. I'm specifically looking for feedback from anyone that has tried both tires and someone that uses them as track/race rubber.
I can read plenty of individual reviews on the tires but would like a comparison between the 2 specifically on our smaller bikes.
So, has anyone tried both?

Thanks, VULGR

·
Registered
810 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, newbie track junkie here. I've tried a-13s and Supercorsa. Personally I prefer the Pirelli because of the softer compound compared to the Dunlops. I'm not sure, but they sorta gives me more confidence to carry more speed into corners, especially around my local track. I've recently got my hands on a pair of Battlax RS-10, but haven't had the chance to hit the track yet!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello, newbie track junkie here. I've tried a-13s and Supercorsa. Personally I prefer the Pirelli because of the softer compound compared to the Dunlops. I'm not sure, but they sorta gives me more confidence to carry more speed into corners, especially around my local track. I've recently got my hands on a pair of Battlax RS-10, but haven't had the chance to hit the track yet!

Just take your time with the rs-10's. I've only ridden 1 session with a set on a friends bike after a full racing weekend. I was tired and sore, only rode the session because another friend was desperate to see he was doing in comparison. The tyres were awful, well specifically the rear tyre. It was spinning up and loosing grip everywhere, I had some massive slides that would have ended in tears if I had panicked even a little. The front felt like it had plenty of grip but I honestly wasn't pushing hard enough to find out

·
Registered
364 Posts
Just take your time with the rs-10's. I've only ridden 1 session with a set on a friends bike after a full racing weekend. I was tired and sore, only rode the session because another friend was desperate to see he was doing in comparison. The tyres were awful, well specifically the rear tyre. It was spinning up and loosing grip everywhere, I had some massive slides that would have ended in tears if I had panicked even a little. The front felt like it had plenty of grip but I honestly wasn't pushing hard enough to find out
Did you change rear shock settings at all or any geometry change to help with this, or just rode at your friends setting?

Also, I recently heard from Bridgestone tech that they are running 120 front and 165 rear slicks and breaking all kinds of track records.....can anyone confirm this or any feedback? I'm debating this change as B'stone offers contingency even for novice riders here in Nor-Cal AFM series

·
Registered
364 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you change rear shock settings at all or any geometry change to help with this, or just rode at your friends setting?

Also, I recently heard from Bridgestone tech that they are running 120 front and 165 rear slicks and breaking all kinds of track records.....can anyone confirm this or any feedback? I'm debating this change as B'stone offers contingency even for novice riders here in Nor-Cal AFM series

Left at my friends settings. Limited tire choice with racing over here so we aren't allowed to try the slicks. I'ld find it difficult to believe that any records would be broken with the rs-10's

·
Registered
364 Posts
Left at my friends settings. Limited tire choice with racing over here so we aren't allowed to try the slicks. I'ld find it difficult to believe that any records would be broken with the rs-10's
Agree on RS-10's. They are more street oriented, intermediate group track pace tires. Not really constructed for lap record pace

·
Registered
433 Posts
a set of alphas here in Canada cost me 250.... a set of supercorsas runs 450

I went with a13s just for the price, they also last longer apparently (harder carcass makes sense I guess). One fast guy in our club runs pirellis and the other fast guy runs the a13s. I cant wait to try mine in two weeks.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Since posting this thread I now have experience with both tires. The biggest issue I had with the Dunlop was the lack of feedback when at the limits of edge grip on the 140/70 rear which meant I was pushing beyond the edge of the tire several times leading to crashes. When changing to the 150, the weight difference was notable on acceleration. I actually prefer the a13 front more than the Pirelli sc1. The other time that the differences were highlighted were in damp & cooler conditions where the Pirelli was much better. The Dunlop definitely had longer life

·
Registered
25 Posts
Where are you guys ordering the Supercorsas? I can't find them anywhere on line smaller than a 180 rear. And is it a 110/140 combo or 120/150?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Where are you guys ordering the Supercorsas? I can't find them anywhere on line smaller than a 180 rear. And is it a 110/140 combo or 120/150?
Call Hare Motorsports in Hayward...they can get you great prices

CT racing, in Santa Cruz....they are the one of the dealers for race Pirelli rubber west of the Mississippi I believe

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

110/140 are stock sizes and will suit most riders but it is possible to use the 120 front and/or 150 rear.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Where are you ordering Alpha 13s from? And which size?
running bridgestone evo s20 right now.

I always buy my tires at the track or from local bike shops. 110 front, 150 rear (I found there wasn't enough edge grip for track riding with the 140).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts