Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Nice looking tire special made for small displacement cycles. I just purchased some s20 in the stock size. getting delivered today.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Nice looking tire special made for small displacement cycles. I just purchased some s20 in the stock size. getting delivered today.
The Bridgestone S21s are out now but they don't have a rear in the stock 140 size yet. They're pricier, too, at around $143 for the 150 rear.

Plus, if they're like the S20s they also won't have the new triple compound on the smaller sizes....:(

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not really looking for comparisons on this thread, thanks. Bird - feedback appreciated - right at $200 for the set? .

·
Registered
545 Posts
Got them mounted today. More grounded. Tracks better.

Not enough miles yet just cruising. Will report back after a break in and a real test.

More rigid over bumps but I expected that. Less bounce.

Not really looking for comparisons on this thread, thanks. Bird - feedback appreciated - right at $200 for the set? .
$212.68
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dunlop-sportmax-gpr300-tires
Free shipping, no tax in CA.

Shipped from CA distributor and landed at my door in 24 hours UPS.

Awesome, is that just the rear tire or did you get both front and back?
Front and back, added better images.

·
Registered
545 Posts
30F 35R cold. Guy that mounted them runs an RC390 in the same areas I ride and said he got it dialed in fairly good.

I took it to a Honda Kawi KTM dealer. First time they had an R3, they liked it.

The test drive was pretty long for a tire change. He took most of the sheen off of them. :laugh:

·
Registered
545 Posts
The difference on the freeway is beyond what I could have imagined. I now know what the poor feeling was while riding. It was the tires. It feels amazing now. Not the greatest tires in the world I get it they are old but I am used to them and I like the way they wear.

I would recommend to anyone looking for a mod for their bike to do tires before anything else. Just wow.

I am actually carrying more speed, its weird, feels like I am going slower. I was just doing a steady 82 and it was very solid.

I also added a taller windscreen and between the two its like a new bike. I was in wind gusts and they were affecting me much less than before.

I think I am over inflated in the front.

Vertical lines in the pavement dont cause me so many headaches now, I can just ride with them or over them.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since you're first out on these, I'd be interested in seeing what maybe 28F/32R cold would do if you're game. Better, worse?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Since you're first out on these, I'd be interested in seeing what maybe 28F/32R cold would do if you're game. Better, worse?
Ill give that a shot tomorrow and report back.

The only real area where this bike came up short for me was at freeway speeds in nasty socal traffic. This is exactly what I needed.

The bike used to bounce all over the road, the tracking was all over the place. Almost dangerous.

Edit: F it I am so happy I am going to go try lower pressures. This is the best mod I have done yet, thought it was the power commander but nope this is clearly the best.

On to suspension next. Coming from Ohlins on my last bike this is junk.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just curious, what made you pick this set instead of the Rosso II's or the S20 Evos.

I rode on the Frwy last night and knew exactly what you were talking about and will be riding on the interstate for two straight hours next month and need more stability.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Longevity and prior experience with them. A few of my friends use this tire exclusively and it came on my R1 stock and was a good tire. Good mileage and grip.

I find them forgiving when you wear them down. Dunlops for me in the past felt the best all the way through the tires lifespan if that makes any sense.

I bet some of those certainly could be better tires but I don't like to change every 3500 miles. I understand most not having interest in this tire.

Lowered the pressure and hooked up nicely especially on a few freeway ramps passing people. I would not go any lower than that on the pressure thats for sure. I would probably go up 1 on the rear, but I will wait for hot days and see how it gets real hot.

Easier to ride, way less shock, but transitioning side to side is a bit sluggish. All normal stuff you would expect. Lots more drag, bigger contact patch.

I think any radial tire would be a vast improvement. I can finally hold a line and just relax and ride instead of being on Mr Toads Wild Ride.

·
Registered
545 Posts
So I wonder do the 140 h get the grippy compound or the mileage stuff.?
Hard to say. I don't have enough miles to gauge longevity but everyone that touches them says they feel very sticky. I like em.

Unlikely to see high mileage out of them. Had them nice and round edge to edge usage then took a few higher mileage trips and see wear to the middle.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Longevity and prior experience with them. A few of my friends use this tire exclusively and it came on my R1 stock and was a good tire. Good mileage and grip.

I find them forgiving when you wear them down. Dunlops for me in the past felt the best all the way through the tires lifespan if that makes any sense.

I bet some of those certainly could be better tires but I don't like to change every 3500 miles. I understand most not having interest in this tire.

Lowered the pressure and hooked up nicely especially on a few freeway ramps passing people. I would not go any lower than that on the pressure thats for sure. I would probably go up 1 on the rear, but I will wait for hot days and see how it gets real hot.

Easier to ride, way less shock, but transitioning side to side is a bit sluggish. All normal stuff you would expect. Lots more drag, bigger contact patch.

I think any radial tire would be a vast improvement. I can finally hold a line and just relax and ride instead of being on Mr Toads Wild Ride.

Sadly this ride has been removed and replaced at Disney World

·
Registered
1 Posts
GPR-300 rear for $86

The rear is now $20 cheaper on MotorcycleSuperstore going for $86.04. A set comes in at $181.82. About the best price I've seen for tires in the past few months.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts