Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, as I am looking to build my little track bike, I am trying to save where I can. I've come across some Ebay Headers that are about $100 bucks. I honestly don't want to spend $300+ for a set of headers which main purpose is to delete the cats..

Has anyone tried any of these pipes? Any input would be appreciated

·
Registered
321 Posts
Unless you're capable of fabricating your own exhaust I would steer clear. They don't work with any slip on exhausts except maybe the m4 street slayer but you're already chopping off your cat to put that on anyways.

You'll save yourself money and the headache by just investing in a full system or not changing it to begin with. My R3 rips on the track just fine with a graves slip on. I have no intention to race it so spending the time and money on parts and tuning is not worth the effort.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yamaha R3 2019

I would like to have some luggage at the back (top and sides) of my bike, any saddle attachment that I can install, any ideas? Thank you (From Canada)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I suppose that since they sell these alone, they should fit the OEM position, and since my Yoshimura also fits OEM position I am giving it that chance.

I have reached out to the sellers in order to confirm that these are meant to fit the OEM exhaust

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For a hundred bucks, I might be inclined to give it shot and see what the fitment is like. The only thing I'd be concerned with is the quality of the metal and the welding.

But given that ebay has such strong buyer protections in place, you'll probably be okay.
I think I will give them a shot, and I'll install them myself, worst case scenario I will just lose some time

·
Super Moderator
906 Posts
I think I will give them a shot, and I'll install them myself, worst case scenario I will just lose some time
Nice attitude. I've made a few purchases for my bike of much cheaper, unbranded products on Amazon, etc. Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised, Sometimes not so much. But even the cheapest products have answered my question as to whether an aftermarket product is better than the OEM. And a couple times I trashed the cheapies and splurged on better quality, more expensive goodies I wanted to start with. Live and learn. :nerd:

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've bit my tongue on this for a couple days..... If you want to "go fast" on a track with the R3- do NOT buy a Chinese exhaust system- PERIOD. It will likely lose power, compared to stock. The OEM exhaust system is actually a marvel of engineering. Yes, it's heavy. On the plus side, that extra weight is LOW- like 10 inches off the ground! It's so low, that on a track- you probably wouldn't even notice the difference between stock & a Chinese knock off? If you are serious about building a "little" track bike, put the money where it is needed- SUSPENSION!!!!

You can upgrade the front end with a "Racetech" front end for a little over $300.... Toss a 2006-2015 Ninja 650R rear shock (Ebay) on for less than $100. I guarantee you will be faster than running a cheap/Chinease knock-off exhaust.

Try to look at it like this..... If you buy a "high-end" full exhaust system, is gonna run you $500-$1,000. When you buy that product, you are paying for the R&D that went into developing that system. What they don't tell you, is that you will also need a a PCV map/ECU flash to to gain anything HP related! Otherwise, you risk lower power/lean condition that "may" result in engine damage.... If you buy a "low-end" exhaust system, there is ZERO R&D, and no PCV fuel maps/ECU flashes to support the exhaust from China.... I've seen PLENTY of stock exhaust systems on bikes with "basic" suspension upgrades, that went MUCH faster than someone that bought a "cool sounding" exhaust system. My best advise.... Don't worry about the weight/"cool sounding" low-end exhaust systems... Put your money where it can do the most good- SUSPENSION..... It will pay for itself 10X over......

·
Registered
124 Posts
IMO do it right or don't do it at all. Above post - suspension is a higher priority - is correct. If you are short on cash, skip fiddling with the exhaust system until you can do the exhaust properly and the tuning (or buy Jesse's race-spec ECU).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've bit my tongue on this for a couple days..... If you want to "go fast" on a track with the R3- do NOT buy a Chinese exhaust system- PERIOD. It will likely lose power, compared to stock. The OEM exhaust system is actually a marvel of engineering. Yes, it's heavy. On the plus side, that extra weight is LOW- like 10 inches off the ground! It's so low, that on a track- you probably wouldn't even notice the difference between stock & a Chinese knock off? If you are serious about building a "little" track bike, put the money where it is needed- SUSPENSION!!!!

You can upgrade the front end with a "Racetech" front end for a little over $300.... Toss a 2006-2015 Ninja 650R rear shock (Ebay) on for less than $100. I guarantee you will be faster than running a cheap/Chinease knock-off exhaust.

Try to look at it like this..... If you buy a "high-end" full exhaust system, is gonna run you $500-$1,000. When you buy that product, you are paying for the R&D that went into developing that system. What they don't tell you, is that you will also need a a PCV map/ECU flash to to gain anything HP related! Otherwise, you risk lower power/lean condition that "may" result in engine damage.... If you buy a "low-end" exhaust system, there is ZERO R&D, and no PCV fuel maps/ECU flashes to support the exhaust from China.... I've seen PLENTY of stock exhaust systems on bikes with "basic" suspension upgrades, that went MUCH faster than someone that bought a "cool sounding" exhaust system. My best advise.... Don't worry about the weight/"cool sounding" low-end exhaust systems... Put your money where it can do the most good- SUSPENSION..... It will pay for itself 10X over......

Thanks for the advice, I know it won't make it faster. I wanted to make it louder, mainly because with my stock ducati I could barely hear it at the track, and it is way louder than the R3.. and that was very annoying since I could not really hear the rpms, even more with all the other riders with super loud exhausts. Tune wise, I will have it re-flashed, and suspension will surely come in, I just want to find the limit on this setup, and keep upgrading it little by little.

I was thinking about a cheap exhaust since I won't mind if it gets scratched or anything.

·
Registered
124 Posts
A cheap exhaust probably hasn't had any appreciable R&D put into it, and is therefore unlikely to make the engine run any better.

For a track bike, I'm more concerned with how well it gets down a straightaway, than how much or how little noise it makes in the process of doing so, as long as it satisfies the rules of wherever I'm riding (i.e. some tracks have noise limits, so it has to be quieter than whatever that limit is).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I went ahead and purchased an "Anodizing Racing" FULL exhaust from amazon ( $100 Delivered ).

The installation was extremely easy, pipes fitted perfectly, no leaks and no problems at all. I give it a 10/10, it is VERY loud, but it sounds good and fits perfectly.

The muffler might not be the most detailed one, but it serves its purpose and it was just $100.

Since the guys from Norton Fab could not give me a Core Credit for my ECU, it would've been $500 to flash, so I went with the guys from Toce Performance and they got me covered, prepped a "custom" tune for my setup with the BMC Race air filter and my full exhaust for $250.

Overall the whole setup was $60 For the Filter, $100 for the Exhaust and $250 for the ECU tune, which sums around $410, which most of it should be recovered if I sale the OEM headers for cheap and also the Carbon Fiber R-77 Slipon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gerardo - how do you like the setup? I have been considering the same. Why didn't Norton Fab give you Core Credit?

Sorry for the late response!

Apparently my ECU number does not work for them as it is meant for ABS bikes.

The bike is awesome, definitely faster than stock, already used it at the track and it is truly fantastic. ( installation and fitment of the exhaust was on point, I dont understand why people complain so bad.. I probably got lucky, who knows)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Overall the whole setup was $60 For the Filter, $100 for the Exhaust and $250 for the ECU tune, which sums around $410, which most of it should be recovered if I sale the OEM headers for cheap and also the Carbon Fiber R-77 Slipon.
Do you have a link to the exhaust you bought?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yamaha R3 2019

I would like to have some luggage at the back (top and sides) of my bike, any saddle attachment that I can install, any ideas? Thank you (From Canada)
I bought one of these and I'm extremely happy with it. As far as a muffler fitting, it's a standard 51MM opening, so any aftermarket can should slip right on. My entire exhaust system cost me only 135 bucks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is only for local folks or can I send in my ECU for them to program in a generic R3 + full exhaust tune? $250 is a fantastic deal.

Toce Performance and they got me covered, prepped a "custom" tune for my setup with the BMC Race air filter and my full exhaust for $250.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts