Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DO NOT BUY!

Wow this thing is a piece of garbage. I shouldn't be mad because I only spent $35 bucks and you get what you pay for.. utter trash.

The thing smells so bad, its toxic. I have to keep it in a zip-lock bag. I bought one for my Red R3.. the Color on this thing is practically orange! It looks terrible. The "rubber" black piece on top is barely held on at all, it is not secure in the front at all. When the cowl is attached to the bike it is flimsy and wobbles with the slightest movement.

You have been warned, stay away! I guess I deserve it for trying to save a penny but next time I will just for the Authentic one, even if it is a $$$? I wouldn't trust any manufacturer apart from Yamaha, if anything just to get the freaking color right.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Seat-Cover-cowl-For-Yamaha-YZF-R25-2014-2015-AF/161742964431?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D36144%26meid%3D9c1e5350910e4dab86fcdd6a2386e0b3%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D311458922047

·
Registered
346 Posts
DO NOT BUY!

Wow this thing is a piece of garbage. I shouldn't be mad because I only spent $35 bucks and you get what you pay for.. utter trash.

The thing smells so bad, its toxic. I have to keep it in a zip-lock bag. I bought one for my Red R3.. the Color on this thing is practically orange! It looks terrible. The "rubber" black piece on top is barely held on at all, it is not secure in the front at all. When the cowl is attached to the bike it is flimsy and wobbles with the slightest movement.

You have been warned, stay away! I guess I deserve it for trying to save a penny but next time I will just for the Authentic one, even if it is a $140? I wouldn't trust any manufacturer apart from Yamaha, if anything just to get the freaking color right.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Seat-Cover-cowl-For-Yamaha-YZF-R25-2014-2015-AF/161742964431?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D36144%26meid%3D9c1e5350910e4dab86fcdd6a2386e0b3%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D311458922047

If anyone wants it, maybe to re-purpose or vinyl wrap I will sell it/ship it for 20 bucks. Probably just going to throw it away though and be done with it.
Message the eBay seller and let them know you are unhappy with the purchase and that the color is off and fitment is incorrect. Tell them its too expensive to ship the item back to China. Threaten to leave bad feedback and they will almost certainly offer you anywhere from a 50% to full refund.

I've done this many times on items from China, it always works. They know these products are crap and that quality control is non-existent. They also cannot afford to get slammed for negative feedback for their shoddy products so you can always get them to give you a refund.

If they really won't play ball with you, take a picture of the cowl and go into a photo editor and use a burn tool to remove the saturation from the image, basically turning your red cowl into a black one. Send them a picture of it and say you received the wrong color and that you want a refund. Yea, its dishonest, but so is selling garbage products at inflated prices and then not being up front with refunds when the product isn't as described. If it comes down to it, I'd be happy to edit a photo for you if you post one. I'm sure they will refund you, though.

·
Registered
196 Posts
There are some easy solutions to this which I have done successfully.

1) plastidip it to get a better color and finish

2) apply duct tape (rolled up to become double sided) to the rubber grommets to solve the looseness

I now own both an OEM and the China eBay one. The OEM one is actually impossible to get on/off without rubbing scratching my fairings. The China one with duct tape actually fits just as well as the OEM.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow bro, good looking out. Can you return it to the seller?
Probably not worth the hassle, tbh.

That's the thing with the ebay cheap products, the quality can vary tremendously. I purchased a similar one (http://www.ebay.com/itm/23159743635...49&var=530834845511&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT) and had a totally different experience..the color is barely a shade off of the stock Red, and fitment isn't perfect, but I'm happy. $120 for the genuine?? FOH yamaha...
Glad yours worked out, hard to tell the sellers apart! Mine is way off, it is a really orange-red. I know the stock one is expensive, that's why I tried fleabay but I have actually been riding 2up as of late so I might just forget about the whole thing.

Message the eBay seller and let them know you are unhappy with the purchase and that the color is off and fitment is incorrect. Tell them its too expensive to ship the item back to China. Threaten to leave bad feedback and they will almost certainly offer you anywhere from a 50% to full refund.

I've done this many times on items from China, it always works. They know these products are crap and that quality control is non-existent. They also cannot afford to get slammed for negative feedback for their shoddy products so you can always get them to give you a refund.

If they really won't play ball with you, take a picture of the cowl and go into a photo editor and use a burn tool to remove the saturation from the image, basically turning your red cowl into a black one. Send them a picture of it and say you received the wrong color and that you want a refund. Yea, its dishonest, but so is selling garbage products at inflated prices and then not being up front with refunds when the product isn't as described. If it comes down to it, I'd be happy to edit a photo for you if you post one. I'm sure they will refund you, though.
I will look into it, I guess it doesn't hurt to try! Thanks for the information.

There are some easy solutions to this which I have done successfully.

1) plastidip it to get a better color and finish

2) apply duct tape (rolled up to become double sided) to the rubber grommets to solve the looseness

I now own both an OEM and the China eBay one. The OEM one is actually impossible to get on/off without rubbing scratching my fairings. The China one with duct tape actually fits just as well as the OEM.
Bike looks great! Is that a 2016? I have a hard time believing that they have a plasti-dip color in the same red as the bike? I want to stick with a red cowl for my bike at least..

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yes, this is a 2016. The red one pictures is OEM, the white one is plastidip. I haven't tried the color red plastidip yet, as it is only available online. Plastidip has a different texture (matte) compared to paint (glossy) so I think even the color red will be very close. Any color difference the onlooker will chalk it up to the different finish. matte vs glossy

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, this is a 2016. The red one pictures is OEM, the white one is plastidip. I haven't tried the color red plastidip yet, as it is only available online. Plastidip has a different texture (matte) compared to paint (glossy) so I think even the color red will be very close. Any color difference the onlooker will chalk it up to the different finish. matte vs glossy
If you ever want to part with your oem cover.. just hit me up! >:D

·
Registered
218 Posts
Probably not worth the hassle, tbh.

Glad yours worked out, hard to tell the sellers apart! Mine is way off, it is a really orange-red. I know the stock one is expensive, that's why I tried fleabay but I have actually been riding 2up as of late so I might just forget about the whole thing.
Thanks man, sorry yours was a bust. At first glance I thought it was the same one, but realized quickly that a lot of the sellers are just using the same image. Like other people said up top, I think you should contact the seller and threaten to leave poor reviews on their site. They take the reviews pretty seriously. Even if they only give a % of your money back it's still better than nothing! Do a carbon fiber wrap on it or maybe try doing a budget paint job on it to match the color/suppress the smell?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Let me Know how this one is! I may have to splurge and get another :eek:
I'm happy with the OEM quality as far as finish goes. It's a bit of a pain in the @$$ to close compared to the standard seat, but since you can only fit about half a sandwich in the "trunk" it virtually never comes off.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Bought my OEM piece off eBay w/ an eBay coupon for 90$ shipped. I didn't want to chance the paint not matching w/ a knockoff piece since I knew I would end up scrapping it and ordering the OEM piece eventually.

Something to consider w/ the OEM cowl, it doesn't have the helmet hooks or the latch point needed to secure the OEM toolkit.

Luckily the OEM toolkit tucks in nicely towards the front of the cowl, and I used a velcro cable tie to secure it.

As for the missing helmet hooks under the cowl, I bought a carabiner-style helmet lock instead.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts