Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!

First of all I would like to let you know that I´m quite new to ECU tuning a motorcycles in general, however i tried to do some research. I own stock R3 2017.
So my friends get their R6s etc flashed with great HP and fuel consumption improvements. I presume the R3s run lean from factory as well, so I was looking for ECU flashing companies as well. Note that I live in Czech Republic so I'm not able to get R3 racing ECU flashes from Jesse like you. However few companies here in Czech republic can do it. I found one company, who is legit, has solid customer base and does all types of flashes ranging from cars to trucks, boats etc. I called with the technician there and he told me, he would be able to achieve 53 Hp with ECU flash. Which is roughly 11 hp increase - that is HUGE improvement - 28% HP increase. I know it is possible since TSTIndustries did it. /watch?v=QJkx9DkjCQU Naturally I was interested, if it negatively affects the lifespan of the engine and its components. (I dont really care about fuel consumption, but i dont want my engine get damaged in 10k kilometres or whatever). He told me, that since its with maximal focused on power increase, it might happen. But he hasnt got any experience with it.

So I was wondering what do you guys think of it? Will it damage my engine in few thousand kilometres? (Note that i run Akrapovic GT Slip-on, so I didnt put higher flow air filter, since the standart cat is still there, so I run stock airfiltrers).

·
Registered
163 Posts
I live in Australia and I had no issues ordering heaps of stuff from Jesse. You just need to email him directly and he will ship it to you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply, but it still takes long to ship etc... Probably gonna do it here in Czech Rep, since they have got dynos etc. What interests me the most is your view on how it might affect the engine lifespan and whether this bike is built to withstand such power increase.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
The stock bike isn’t making 42 hp. According to your math it’s an 11 hp gain the their claimed 53 hp, so they guessed the stock hp incorrectly at 42 hp.

You aren’t getting to 53 hp on an ECU flash only.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The stock bike isn’t making 42 hp. According to your math it’s an 11 hp gain the their claimed 53 hp, so they guessed the stock hp incorrectly at 42 hp.

You aren’t getting to 53 hp on an ECU flash only.
Thanks for the reply!
Well, it says so in the specs. Well I guess you mean the real - rear wheel hp which is around 36. However, if the percental increase should stay the same (28%) it should add 10,08 hp to a rear wheal anyway, and push it to around 46 Hp which, again, is considerable gain.

·
Super Moderator
1,142 Posts
Thanks for the reply!
Well, it says so in the specs. Well I guess you mean the real - rear wheel hp which is around 36. However, if the percental increase should stay the same (28%) it should add 10,08 hp to a rear wheal anyway, and push it to around 46 Hp which, again, is considerable gain.
We've had professional racers and technicians working on the R3 since it's inception in 2015. And none have been able get the kind of HP you're talking about with just an ECU flash. It's just not been achieved... We may have a US President who's living in a fantasy world, who'd like us to believe 1+1= 4. But, for those of us still living in the real world, our math is still the same as the EU's. :( Good luck though, and keep us posted. We may learn something new.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Look at all the effort Jesse has gone through to squeeze HP out of the bike and then compare with someone just doing an ECU flash claiming the same numbers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Look at all the effort Jesse has gone through to squeeze HP out of the bike and then compare with someone just doing an ECU flash claiming the same numbers.
Yeah, you are right, I guess he over-estimated it. It's not about math, I'm just new to all this...
My guess is, its also not that simple as just ecu flash. Higher fuel maps usually needs high airflow filters and full system to it, so it provides enough air to the pistons. I will speak to him tomorrow about it.

What is your opinion on engine lifespan? Probably, if its done properly, it doesn't affect it, right?

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
780 Posts
If the flash is done well, it won't have any negative affect on the lifespan. But I promise you, he won't get it right on the first try if he has no experience with the R3. I don't even like shipping flashed ECUs international anymore because you have to pay for an ECU core and the bikes are so finicky with fueling and you can't make any adjustments without sending it back. There's a better option now which is what I'm starting to recommend over my own ECU flash for stock engines, the aRacer Mini 5 ecu. It's $455+sh, compared to $495+sh to send you a flashed ECU with core, but performance is the same or better with the aRacer, and it's not finicky with fueling at all. Plus it's tunable from a laptop or smart phone. That's your best option, you won't need to go to a tuner, just plug it in and go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the flash is done well, it won't have any negative affect on the lifespan. But I promise you, he won't get it right on the first try if he has no experience with the R3. I don't even like shipping flashed ECUs international anymore because you have to pay for an ECU core and the bikes are so finicky with fueling and you can't make any adjustments without sending it back. There's a better option now which is what I'm starting to recommend over my own ECU flash for stock engines, the [ It's $455+sh, compared to $495+sh to send you a flashed ECU with core, but performance is the same or better with the aRacer, and it's not finicky with fueling at all. Plus it's tunable from a laptop or smart phone. That's your best option, you won't need to go to a tuner, just plug it in and go.
Thanks for reply! Yeah, I guess so, they have done motorcycles with cc which i guess its easier. The guys over at the tuning center overestimated it, surely. However I have downloaded two maps for stock R3 tune, one from powercommander website and one from here. Guess I show them to the guy so he gets template to start from. Or I might as well leave it, since it's quite expensive and I don't race the bike. I'm glad I have asked you guys! If I didnt i would go for it thinking that i get 10 hp :D and i would end up with screwed fuel maps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey! Not sure if you already got your answer but I do believe TST has part of their motor built to make the power they do. I don't remember which but there is a video where they go over the entire build and show the parts and measurements they're putting into it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
My experience is, if you want a long life-span out of your motor- leave the internals bone-stock.... The engineers @ Yamaha make pretty good living making it "work". Granted, they are "handcuffed" in a way having to make the "emissions compliant" motors work around the globe (NOT an easy task). Unless you are racing/chasing championships, save yourself a lot of headaches. Leave the motor internals bone-stock. You can make very impressive gains buy opening up the air-box, adding a free-flowing exhaust, and matching it with either an ECU flash, or a piggy-back fuel controller. You need to do ALL of the above to get any real gains. Adding a free-flowing exhaust without doing the rest, will most likely just give you a loud exhaust, that makes less HP than "stock"...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts