Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if i hook up the ecu to the laptop will i able to see info like the model number on the vin ? Does that ecu store info like that ?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
No, the VIN is on the frame, it has nothing to do with the ECU.

Reactions: Maxpressure520

·
Registered
538 Posts
No, the VIN is on the frame, it has nothing to do with the ECU.
Correct,
but many manufactures of vehicles today store this information in the ecu. The 2SM ECU ( the most common ) R3 R25 most likely aren't set up to do this

I would not be surprised if the BR5 ECU has vin identification. New for Euro 4 standards.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
The short answer is "no".
It actually does, depending on which R3 ECU you have. For this to work, your R3 ECU cannot be the BR5 model as the pinout is different. The BR5 ECU is also physically larger than the 2MS. Also note that the ECU needs to match your bike meaning that if your bike has ABS, the ECU must be an ABS ECU. That said, the ECU on the R25 and R3 are similar enough that most R25 to R3 conversions I have seen done, they do not swap the ECU if that is what you are planning to do to your bike.

·
Registered
280 Posts
It actually does, depending on which R3 ECU you have. For this to work, your R3 ECU cannot be the BR5 model as the pinout is different. The BR5 ECU is also physically larger than the 2MS. Also note that the ECU needs to match your bike meaning that if your bike has ABS, the ECU must be an ABS ECU. That said, the ECU on the R25 and R3 are similar enough that most R25 to R3 conversions I have seen done, they do not swap the ECU if that is what you are planning to do to your bike.

For the R3 you can use a non-abs ecu on abs R3s. Just not the other way around due to it being locked or something.

·
Registered
261 Posts
For the R3 you can use a non-abs ecu on abs R3s. Just not the other way around due to it being locked or something.
I'm not too sure about the 2MS(non-ABS) and B02(ABS) ECUs, but bikes with the EURO spec ECUs (BR5) are not compatible with any non ABS bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts