Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a stop light just chilling waiting for the light to turn green when all of a sudden the engine just died. As if I hit the cut off switch or something. I started it back up and off I went. I believe I read somewhere here that someone's engine cut out once when they were in motion. I tried searching but couldn't find that post.

Now that I think of it, the engine also refused to restart for me once after I shut it down to park it, then tried to restart it after a minute or so. Took me 4-5 tries before it fired back up. This hasn't happened again, but sometimes I feel like the engine does only barely start. As if the starter is geared too short or something.

Anybody else ever experience this kind of stuff? I have to be honest. My Honda never let me down even once. I've had the R3 for less than 2 weeks already have had two issues.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
100% positive that stand was not the issue. I had been riding for about 40 min. Was at a traffic light. Bike was in 1st Gear. Waiting for the light to turn green and without any input from me, the engine just quit.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Anyone else have this? Fueling problems with new models are common. My FZ07 had an issue with stalling but that is well documented on the FZ07/MT07 forums. Of course the Ninja 300 had a recall due to stalling where they replaced the ECUs on the first models, so it's definitely something to watch. My R3 does make a different sound when it is in N and idling like it doesn't want to be doing that, but so far it hasn't coughed, sputtered or died. I have had several bikes...the Triumph Street Triple R, GSX-r1000, and FZ07 that did not like to restart after you stopped a short time...such as for fuel...but this only lasted until the bike was broken in...maybe 2 gas refills, then it went away on all three bikes. Once I let my FZ07 warm up a little too long and it coughed and died too. Bikes don't really like to sit in idle very long. STILL, your bike should never die in traffic. That could cause you to get rear-ended. Really, if it were my bike, I would go break the bike in by doing a hard break-in and see if that didn't fix the problem. Then I would take back to the dealer if it didn't.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Mine backfires occasionally when I blip and downshift. This is my first fuel injected bike, so I don't know if that's normal? The backfire's not that loud, and I haven't experienced any running issues.

·
Registered
222 Posts
That's ok as long as it is not an actual backfire which would be loud. Mine does the same thing...a short cracking/popping sound on downshifting or compression braking. The Ninja 300 does the same thing. I kind of like that sound.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just wanted to report that my engine stalled again while waiting at a red light. Again, there was no warning. I hit the starter button and it fired right back up and off I went. This is the second time this has happened.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just wanted to report that my engine stalled again while waiting at a red light. Again, there was no warning. I hit the starter button and it fired right back up and off I went. This is the second time this has happened.
Get on the way to your Dealer and let him take a look. On his costs! He sold you a damaged bike if its like that... What do you think whats happens when you drive 90mph and the engine turns off? Good Bye mate...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Get on the way to your Dealer and let him take a look. On his costs! He sold you a damaged bike if its like that... What do you think whats happens when you drive 90mph and the engine turns off? Good Bye mate...
That's a bit of an overreaction, which is not helpful to new riders who are here learning. Could an engine cut-out put you in a dangerous situation? Yes, under the right circumstances; But I would hardly generalize it as a catastrophic event. In most cases it would be much like simply releasing the throttle.

·
Registered
247 Posts
That's a bit of an overreaction, which is not helpful to new riders who are here learning. Could an engine cut-out put you in a dangerous situation? Yes, under the right circumstances; But I would hardly generalize it as a catastrophic event. In most cases it would be much like simply releasing the throttle.
Yes, but losing power in a tight turn could make you run wide. That would be... bad.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a similar problem with a new bike several years ago. The voltage regulator or something like that wasn't connected good and would stall when I stopped. Not enough juice to the injector/ignition system. Might be similar issue.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Never touch the starter until the tacho sweep and fuel pump has completely stopped priming,
Never touch the throttle until the engine has settled to warm idle speed.
Never shut the engine down above idle speed.

Sometimes people unused to fuel injected bikes, especially singles and twins which are sensitive to fuelling parameters.

If your bike ever wont start, or shuts down,
turn key off, wait, turn key on, repeat correct starting procedure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Engine shuts off down shifting with Engine oil light indicator went off suddenly.

Hey guys, just new to this forum and a new biker as well.
Need help here. So here's what happened to me while on my R3.

I was exiting a roundabout on 2nd gear around 25-30kph, as I was planning to accelerate from that speed up to 100kph as fast as I can. So I went on, from 2nd open the throttle aggressively-btw I got my shift light set to 7000rpm -8000rpm, so I shifted up close to whenever the light indicator turns On. I got till about 90-95kph on 6th gear real fast and ran out of road so I had to stop quickly. Did some revmatching on downshifts, until I got to 3rd gear (probably I was at 50-60kph), then all of a sudden I heard a click and the red Engine Oil indicator light turned On and my engine shut off simultaneously. I was surprised, and just downshifted till 1st gear without my engine On. The red engine oil light was still On, and restarted my engine again with no problem, then the oil light turned off afterwards.

I have got about 1500kms on my bike, had my oil first service done about 1100kms.

I will highly appreciate your reply. Cheers from Oz!

·
Registered
124 Posts
The oil light most likely came on just because the engine had shut off. I assume you checked for leaks and your bike still has oil.

Did you check the sidestand switch and/or spring? My first guess would be something's loose in there. (Pp. 4-21 and 7-28 in the USA owner's manual).

If that doesn't fix it, I'd get it in for warranty service. If your bike had stalled in the middle of the turn instead of on the straightaway, it could've been seriously bad news.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would hardly generalize it as a catastrophic event. In most cases it would be much like simply releasing the throttle.
... which can cause a crash if you do it in the middle of a turn ... especially on a torquey lightweight twin like the R3 with mega engine braking ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
My new R3 just cut out as well. Only did 8km on the bike and still new to bikes.

Luck i got home and got into my driveway =(

·
Registered
21 Posts
Engine Stopped while running?

While riding my 3 Months old R3 earlier today..
The engine stops as if I pressed down the Engine break switch..

I was running about 40kph on my 3rd gear... in fact if I remembered it correctly... My hand was pressing down the clutch at that moment..

What could possibly the problem?

PS: Our dealer sucks... They said that its perfectly normal and they are the main dealer in our country (PH)... Now I have no idea how to call for warranty help. :( :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Could have something to do with the fuel lines or it could just need to be tuned. Could you give us more information? What was the weather like when you were riding? Was it freezing cold? How many miles do you have on your bike? Notice anything not running properly? Have you made any big mods?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts