Yamaha R3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Could have something to do with the fuel lines or it could just need to be tuned. Could you give us more information? What was the weather like when you were riding? Was it freezing cold? How many miles do you have on your bike? Notice anything not running properly? Have you made any big mods?
Hi! Thank you so much for replying in my post. ^_^

Could you give us more information?
This is all as far as I know... =\

What was the weather like when you were riding? Was it freezing cold?
It was yesterday night, weather is normal, not hot, not cold just fine. No rain as well.

How many miles do you have on your bike?
Its just around 1,200 odometer reading

Notice anything not running properly?
Engine stops while running smooth at around 40kph @ 3rd gear. It only happened to me like 5x, its not always.

Have you made any big mods?
None, only adjusted my clutch bolt a few less tight, changed my tyres to Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2 and added frame sliders.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Most likely electrical.

First thing I'd check would be the sidestand switch - trace the wiring from the sidestand all the way back to the fuse and make sure everything's tight and the fuse is properly seated.

Ignition wiring is a possibility too - had that happen on another bike.

Bad grounds and wiring faults can be a PITA to trace. And there are other possibilities, you haven't given enough info to diagnose - bottom line is you shouldn't have to diagnose a problem on a new bike.

Your owner's manual should have warranty information for your country, including how to contact Yamaha when your dealer isn't helping.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Most likely electrical.

First thing I'd check would be the sidestand switch - trace the wiring from the sidestand all the way back to the fuse and make sure everything's tight and the fuse is properly seated.

Ignition wiring is a possibility too - had that happen on another bike.

Bad grounds and wiring faults can be a PITA to trace. And there are other possibilities, you haven't given enough info to diagnose - bottom line is you shouldn't have to diagnose a problem on a new bike.

Your owner's manual should have warranty information for your country, including how to contact Yamaha when your dealer isn't helping.
Thank you for replying in my post!

I think R3 does not have a side stand switch... or does it?

So does it mean that the clutch cable / lining does not have anything to do with it stopping? Its all 100% electrical problem?

PS: All the phone contact numbers in the manual and warranty book does not work, its either the operator would say thats it does not exists, not in service and a wrong number...

·
Registered
810 Posts
The R3 does have a side stand switch. I would also check the connections by the clutch lever. There should be two wires that run to the clutch lever and plug into a switch.

Might also want to check the tip over sensor under the rear seat. If that has come loose and is moving around it will shut the bike off if it thinks the bike is on it's side. The tip over sensor is a white box mounted on the very back on top of the rear sub frame.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This happened to me today! was riding some back roads and all of a sudden the bike shut off. I thought maybe I had kill switched myself, but inside I know I didn't. looked to see if I had bumped the kickstand, nope. turned off the bike after coming to a stop, and it restarted. I hope this isn't a recurring issue!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Check all your electrical connections, remove all the fairings and look at all the plugs from the key ignition switch to the back. Don't just look, grab both ends and see if it comes apart and press them together anyways even if they didn't come apart.
Also after 2000 miles when I installed my battery tender pigtail I noticed the screws/bolts holding the positive/negative wires down onto the battery terminals were definitely loose. Check there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey, just wanted to say that my bros and I were riding some canyons the other day and my bro with a recently bought R3(500mls) engine also just randomly shut off. We waited for about 3 minutes and then Restarted with no problem and no further problems the rest of the day.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had sort of a same issue, bike wouldn't start, eventually it did (after 3-4 times...) at that moment i thought it was just me

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an MT-25 (naked version of the r25) and I get some mid power loss under full throttle. It isn't the 5k rpm torque loss that everyone seems to notice, but more of the engine not wanting to rev anymore. The bike will also stall after i come to a stop with it in neutral. Happens intermittently too. I have no idea what is going on. I'm going to have to call the dealer tomorrow. I always let the bike finish the fuel prime and dont go balls out on it all the time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is all good information. Here's mine for a 2015 R3 with about 350 miles on it that has died twice in the same weekend.

The first was while idling in high wind conditions

The 2nd was while I was on the track. I wasn't pushing too hard due to low miles and windy/wet conditions. But while coming down the straight and getting set up for a left turn, the rider in front of me was going in too hot for his tastes and slammed on the brakes. I was just starting to make my turn from his right side, but straightened up and hit both front and rear brakes on the wet track to avoid hitting him and the R3 just died. I moved right and coasted a very short distance to get off the track. While coasting I tried to restart, but it wouldn't. I pulled off the track and completely stopped; it took me 2-3 times to get it started again. I then got back on the track and finished the session and the day with no further problems.

This was just yesterday and I haven't ridden it since so I don't know if the issue will continue.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have had that once or twice. Cold starting is no issue but occasionally it takes a while to get started when warm, especially just after filling up with gas.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've mentioned this before but check your battery terminals. When I was giving my bike a once over inspection of all the nuts, bolts and screws, both the negative and positive terminals were loose and looked like they would cause a problem (rattle loose) if not tightened.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
This is all good information. Here's mine for a 2015 R3 with about 350 miles on it that has died twice in the same weekend.

The first was while idling in high wind conditions

The 2nd was while I was on the track. I wasn't pushing too hard due to low miles and windy/wet conditions. But while coming down the straight and getting set up for a left turn, the rider in front of me was going in too hot for his tastes and slammed on the brakes. I was just starting to make my turn from his right side, but straightened up and hit both front and rear brakes on the wet track to avoid hitting him and the R3 just died. I moved right and coasted a very short distance to get off the track. While coasting I tried to restart, but it wouldn't. I pulled off the track and completely stopped; it took me 2-3 times to get it started again. I then got back on the track and finished the session and the day with no further problems.

This was just yesterday and I haven't ridden it since so I don't know if the issue will continue.
Weird. The first, no idea - the second sounds like something shifted when you braked and you lost continuity somewhere. Had it happen on a cool-down lap once (another bike) - just quit and could not get it started, throwing theft codes, etc. - turned out to be a loose ground connection.

·
Registered
3 Posts
R3 with 479 miles dies today while riding on a normal moderate weather day. Had a tow truck bring it home.
Fuel is fine, kill switch fine. Not a good feeling. Got two weeks left on warranty. 3 years left on payments.
Will start investigating electrical like battery terminals, kickstand switch, clutch switch.
Here is a wierd thing: running engine, in gear, clutch in - then put down kickstand, the engine dies.
I know it is a built in safety feature, but it has the potential for really bad problems.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Here is a wierd thing: running engine, in gear, clutch in - then put down kickstand, the engine dies.
I know it is a built in safety feature, but it has the potential for really bad problems.
I never tried that on my R3. I never put the kickstand down if the bike is in gear.
I always shift it to Neutral first, then put the kickstand down.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Whys it weird? That's how it's supposed to work to stop you riding with the kickstand down. It has the potential for what really bad problems?

·
Super Moderator
1,241 Posts
I was at a stop light just chilling waiting for the light to turn green when all of a sudden the engine just died. As if I hit the cut off switch or something. I started it back up and off I went. I believe I read somewhere here that someone's engine cut out once when they were in motion. I tried searching but couldn't find that post.
That might have been my post. My issue is that if I start the bike and immediately roll out on a cold engine, occasionally the bike hiccups (cuts out) for a moment, causing a whiplash forward, then back as the engine power violently returns. This only seems to happen within the first minute of starting. So I let the bike warm up for a minute, like my old Ninja 250. I don't know what the R3 has, does it have some sort of auto-choke feature? It's all fuel injection magic now, right?

I haven't had any sudden engine stops, other than a few initial stalls due to not enough throttle on take off.

I'll check later if my engine dies with the clutch pulled. Not sure why this could create a bad scenario though.

For the warm start issue at gas stations (etc), I just hold the starter button until it stops coughing. So far it catches after 1 or 2 coughs.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts