Yamaha R3 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Been riding since 1974. I understand that having a kickstand safety switch to prevent starting can keep you from having an ingear bike lurch. Even then I think that simply keeping a bike from starting when in gear is enough to prevent this.
I have accidentally flicked the kickstand on my bikes many times in all these years. Stretching my legs, just feeling for the foot peg.
The R3 engine stops dead if you accidentally touch the kickstand while it is running.
I called the dealer today and the service tech said no one has called about R3 engine problems, but to be sure he would check
the sensitivity of our kickstand switch and adjust it. He seemed to agree that it could be too sensitive.
For me, being old school and allowed to grow up without helmets or seat belts, I do not need a kickstand safety switch.
Hope everyone is okay with that.
My first bike with a kickstand safety switch was either the 1978 Goldwing or the 1982 CBX 6 cylinder, but on those the engine
did not die when you put the stand down, the switch was to prevent starting. On my 2000 Harley I do not think there is a switch at all.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The only time I have had my R3 auto shutoff was when I was busy aligning my headlights. It had been in neutral at a standstill for 10-15 minutes. I figured it was an auto off feature or the bike reached an abnormally high temperature which triggered it to shut off.

I have noticed the bike struggles to start sometimes or idles roughly when restarting warm. Adding a power commander has improved this issue, by not solved it completely.

·
Super Moderator
1,241 Posts
Sometimes the engine becomes extremely weak at idle. You know how you can let the clutch out slightly to find the friction zone? When this happens, the engine just dies without even making the bike start dragging forward a little. It seems best best to strongly throttle the bike from a stop, lest the 1-in-50 sudden engine stall plus doesn't want to start, the worst combination.

·
Super Moderator
1,241 Posts
I was at a stop light just chilling waiting for the light to turn green when all of a sudden the engine just died. As if I hit the cut off switch or something. I started it back up and off I went.
Okay, today it FOR SURE happened. I had filtered to the front, between 2 slow-ass cars at the front. I'm squeezing the clutch hard, and I'm all "okay make sure the clutch fully in so I don't stall on the launch since I'm splitting" (CA) and boom bike just dies at idle (actually it dies the moment I try to give it throttle, insta-stop). It happens A LOT when filtering and NEVER when I'm just sitting in traffic. I tend to blip the throttle a little bit when splitting at the front, it has to be related somehow. Of course once it dies, I'm a moron stuck between 2 lanes, and it doesn't want to start. POS engine / fuel ECU programming. So the rest of the day, I just kept the throttle around 2k at stop lights when splitting, no problems. The idle is too low imho. My only powertrain mod is slip-on.

Did anyone confirm if charcoal can removal helps?

Or it could be too lean at idle. Hit throttle -> too much air not enough gas -> stall at idle.

edit: just got it to hiccup and nearly die while on the rear stand in 1st gear in the garage after just 10 minutes of trying. And it died 2 minutes later!!! Wow almost on demand now ... just blip the throttle 1% for 10 ms ... I GOT IT ON CAMERA, I'll post it later, gotta go help my brother with his Civic first. Seems more likely to die with the cooling fan running. It it flooding the air box with hot air???

Video as promised:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Okay, today it FOR SURE happened. I had filtered to the front, between 2 slow-ass cars at the front. I'm squeezing the clutch hard, and I'm all "okay make sure the clutch fully in so I don't stall on the launch since I'm splitting" (CA) and boom bike just dies at idle (actually it dies the moment I try to give it throttle, insta-stop). It happens A LOT when filtering and NEVER when I'm just sitting in traffic. I tend to blip the throttle a little bit when splitting at the front, it has to be related somehow. Of course once it dies, I'm a moron stuck between 2 lanes, and it doesn't want to start. POS engine / fuel ECU programming. So the rest of the day, I just kept the throttle around 2k at stop lights when splitting, no problems. The idle is too low imho. My only powertrain mod is slip-on.

Or it could be too lean at idle. Hit throttle -> too much air not enough gas -> stall at idle.

edit: just got it to hiccup and nearly die while on the rear stand in 1st gear in the garage after just 10 minutes of trying. And it died 2 minutes later!!! Wow almost on demand now ... just blip the throttle 1% for 10 ms ... I GOT IT ON CAMERA, I'll post it later, gotta go help my brother with his Civic first. Seems more likely to die with the cooling fan running. It it flooding the air box with hot air???

Video as promised:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4seY_cJezA

This was a ongoing problem on FZ09 with charcoal canister bikes. Not all of them had canister , just Cali bikes as I understood it and removal cured problem. As I understand it all the R3 have canister, I'll be removing mine ASAP. Hope this helps. Decon

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Same issue here. I've pretty much figured it out on my bike. It's like the engine sometimes stumbles right at the initial crack of the throttle if you twist gently. It happens more when the engine is cold. I've learned to compensate by blipping the throttle more deliberately when I'm about to get moving. Now it's just muscle memory and my bike rarely stalls out.

Video as promised:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4seY_cJezA

·
Super Moderator
1,241 Posts
Same issue here. I've pretty much figured it out on my bike. It's like the engine sometimes stumbles right at the initial crack of the throttle if you twist gently. It happens more when the engine is cold. I've learned to compensate by blipping the throttle more deliberately when I'm about to get moving. Now it's just muscle memory and my bike rarely stalls out.
Mine seems to stall when it's the hottest, right as the cooling fan turns on. If I could just raise the idle from 1400-1500 to 1600-1700. Once the bike it fully warmed up (say like 3 fan cycles) it's trivial to stall the bike in the garage. In the worst case, I see I could mechanically stop the throttle mechanism from rotating to full idle (raising the idle).

This was a ongoing problem on FZ09 with charcoal canister bikes. Not all of them had canister , just Cali bikes as I understood it and removal cured problem. As I understand it all the R3 have canister, I'll be removing mine ASAP. Hope this helps. Decon
This is on my bucket list of things to do.
http://www.yamahar3racing.com/2015/08/how-to-remove-the-emissions-systems-and-install-block-off-plates-on-the-yamaha-r3/

Edit: knee deep into the operation, gas tank is off, ready to do it to it. Fairings are a f'n Chinese puzzle to work with. DIDN'T HELP still stalls after canister / air pump removal.

I adjusted the idle with the set screw on the throttle body, but that threw the CEL. When it stumbles, it drops 500-600 rpms but doesn't die, with a higher idle. At 1300-1400, it simple fails to idle at 600-800 rpms (t'll fall harder at lower rpms to boot) when it stumbles. Maybe a problem with the ISC (idle speed control) ecu logic?

How do I read the code and reset the CEL? (#37, engine speed high at idle ... well, that's a matter of opinion!!)

Remove the coolant reservoir to get a small 8mm wrench on the lock nut. Don't drop the itty bitty pieces into the bike!! You'll need slender fingers. Back it out around 0.03-0.04" ...

Okay, backed off the idle screw from 2100 rpm (hey I went all out just to see), and now it's idling about 1600 rpm instead of stock 1350-1400. It's much harder to make stumble now, and when it did, it lugged at 1.0-1.1K but recovered. And it cleared the CEL. Hopefully this is good enough. Couldn't get the engine to stall for 1/2 hour so far, when is was on-demand previously. So it DID HELP. Hopefully this holds in traffic, gonna take me 2 hours to get the bike all back together. (It did take 2 hours!!!)

omg soo nice, it only coughs instead of stalling now around town.

·
Super Moderator
1,241 Posts
Do any of you have a high flow air filter and / or desnorkled airbox? Reason I ask is that I haven't had any of these issues and my bike has both those mods. Wondering if its getting choked and stalling out because it isn't getting enough air?
At idle, getting air shouldn't be much of a problem!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys, so I drive a 2015 Yamaha R3 and recently I have experienced the following issue. On a rainy I was riding on the freeway at about 60-70 mph. On 6th gear, I pressed on the clutch to start pressing on the brakes to slow down in traffic. The engine surprisingly cut off on me.

I began to test what caused the engine to shut off on me. One night were it was not raining, going about 70-76 mph on 6th gear, I pressed on the clutch and shifted down to 5th gear; the engine shut off on its own.

To get out of doubt, I tested the same thing on the street that same night on 4th gear at 50-56 mph, I pressed the clutch and downshifted to 3rd gear; the engine shut off.

It's new to me after riding for a year, is that normal on a 2015 R3? Has anyone experienced the same thing?

·
Super Moderator
1,241 Posts
Hey guys, so I drive a 2015 Yamaha R3 and recently I have experienced the following issue. On a rainy I was riding on the freeway at about 60-70 mph. On 6th gear, I pressed on the clutch to start pressing on the brakes to slow down in traffic. The engine surprisingly cut off on me.

I began to test what caused the engine to shut off on me. One night were it was not raining, going about 70-76 mph on 6th gear, I pressed on the clutch and shifted down to 5th gear; the engine shut off on its own.

To get out of doubt, I tested the same thing on the street that same night on 4th gear at 50-56 mph, I pressed the clutch and downshifted to 3rd gear; the engine shut off.

It's new to me after riding for a year, is that normal on a 2015 R3? Has anyone experienced the same thing?
That story is more common with Ninja 300 / CBR 250/300. I haven't seen this issue reported on the R3 in general. Kawasaki updated the N300 ecu, yet there's still the occasional report on post-2014 bikes. Honda never admitted anything.

·
Super Moderator
1,241 Posts
Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your bike? I wonder if Mase figured out what was wrong
Nah, I simply raised the idle with the set screw. But occasionally the ecu throws code 37 with high idle. But having the engine stall at a stop light when filtering is worse (especially since it doesn't like to restart immediately.) I'm probably going to give the lightened-up Ninja 650 a good look when it arrives ...

·
Registered
1 Posts

Anyone can help with this case, same thing happened to me twice, I was running 60-70kph in 6th gear when the engine suddenly went off, I was not holding in the clutch, I just noticed that the engine stopped, didn't notice any errors on the dash, just stopped for a bit anj I just restarted the engine and it went on again. Hope anyone who experienced this in any motorcycle can explain this. I'm just new in riding MCs,

·
Registered
104 Posts
Experience the same issue too also had that error 19 sometimes its there other times it's not. I did check the battery and cleaned the terminals ever since no more engine cut off or error 19.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,241 Posts
Experience the same issue too also had that error 19 sometimes its there other times it's not. I did check the battery and cleaned the terminals ever since no more engine cut off or error 19.
Seems like code 19 envelops several possible problem sources according to web search: battery connection, ignition connection, speed sensor, side stand switch, or a couple others that weren't spelled out.

·
Super Moderator
1,241 Posts
But isn't that just masking the problem? I mean it's your bike but I would want it fixed. It's really odd because my bike has given me zero issues.
I reinstalled the original battery (was Shorai lithium), the original muffler (was slip-on), and reset the idle (was +500 rpms). Went for ride, died at a light after about 25 minutes of riding, died again when I got back home, lol. Will make appt with dealer this week.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts