Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello... I'm baffled and looking for help.

My 2017 R3 has 13k miles. Over past few months, the engine will occasionally die at idle, almost always after it's warmed up. However, recently at idle (in neutral, kick stand down), the engine was cutting out and all the lights flickered. At the same time, the speedo was showing speed (e.g., 20mph) even though the bike was parked. When not idling, the bike runs fine. It's only at idle that it cuts out.

I'm not sure if this is an electrical, fuel/air problem or both. I recently changed oil, spark plus, air filter, but the problem has occurred before and after this maintenance.

Any ideas? Clogged fuel injectors? Loose wiring somewhere?

Help much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
I'd be inclined to start at the fuel system. Only because that's the easiest and cheapest thing I can think of. Maybe run a few tanks of fuel injector cleaner to see if that helps at all. It could be a poor electrical connection. We've had several members report a loose connection between the battery and starter relay under the seats. It's usually at the starter relay connection.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I suspect the battery, too, since it's over 4 years old. And maybe your starter relay connection is loose, too. If the bike's dying at idle your charging system could be weak (bad stator) but it should be lasting more than 13K miles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts