Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I cleaned and lubed the chain today in my driveway. Not having a rear stand, I started the engine a few times to help me push it up my inclined driveway to expose a new section of chain. Ok I was supremely lazy.

I only did this about 3 times, but on the 4th time the engine refused to start. It didn't just fail to turn over, it made this horrendous rattling/clicking noise. I didn't think I would drain the battery this way...maybe I did, but the two times I legitimately accidentally drained the battery it didn't make this noise.

Just to be sure the battery wasn't drained, I hooked up the bike battery to my car battery and tried again. Same result, horrible loud clicking noise and engine simply won't turn over.

I doubt this has anything to do with the recall, but I did just get it back from the recall service about 20 miles ago.

Any suggestions for this newbie?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I don't run the car engine, I usually just let it trickle charge for a few minutes. Maybe since I've killed it twice already I need to get a new battery?

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
+1 for toasted battery

Batteries hate being fully discharged. You can let that one trickle charge on a charger for a while but it will never be as strong as it was when new. Lead acid batteries create lead sulfate on the plates when they are discharged and grow weaker every time you run the battery down.

It wouldnt have taken any significant charge by just hooking up the jumper cables.... you have to run the engine.

Try charging that one but Id budget for a new battery :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the info. I have read that you're not to supposed to start the car engine when jump starting a bike to avoid damaging it since the car's battery is much larger. Do you have different info? In the past I've found just letting the cables sit for a while with the engine off to be sufficient. I guess I'm scared of exploding my bike haha.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
You don't need to run the car to jumpstart the bike. The car battery is HUGE compared to the bike battery.
BUT... you do need to make sure you have a good solid connection at the jumper cables, which is hard to do on a bike battery because the terminals are so small. You may THINK you have a good connection, but you don't. Car jumper alligators are HUGE. Your bike battery is probably toast anyway, so just buy a new one, and it will solve your problem.

·
Registered
542 Posts
1. Buy a rear stand, Craigslist or cycle gear will be cheap options. They are completely worth the money. I don't how I lived before having one.

2. Why didn't you just push the bike down hill to progress the chain, and then ride it up the hill once? Seems like a much easier strategy...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1. Buy a rear stand, Craigslist or cycle gear will be cheap options. They are completely worth the money. I don't how I lived before having one.

2. Why didn't you just push the bike down hill to progress the chain, and then ride it up the hill once? Seems like a much easier strategy...
Well hindsight is 20/20...although backing it up the incline is also a pain in the butt :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You don't need to run the car to jumpstart the bike. The car battery is HUGE compared to the bike battery.
BUT... you do need to make sure you have a good solid connection at the jumper cables, which is hard to do on a bike battery because the terminals are so small. You may THINK you have a good connection, but you don't. Car jumper alligators are HUGE. Your bike battery is probably toast anyway, so just buy a new one, and it will solve your problem.
Thanks CBRPilot...based on your suggestion I went and fiddled with the connectors and voilà, bike started right up. Well, that was several good lessons learned in one day. Have a great night everyone!

·
Super Moderator
1,308 Posts
DON'T RUN THE CAR -- the car's alternator can overwhelm the bike's electrical shunt, or some such.

Sounds like a dead battery to me.

·
Registered
169 Posts
this seems like the issue happened to me several months ago. The battery terminals tend to get loose somehow on this bike, it happens to my friend who also have R3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZWMbrPXmEY that tick noise is coming from the battery side.

Another issue is with the Key hole getting water/mist and rust is found in key. Now I use WD40 on "KEY" alone after a heavy wash and insert the key and make sure it is freely rotating. The issue is that, the bike will get turned off while running!! The same thing happened to me and my friend.

The start up issues have been reported by many users in India as well, who mostly rectifies by checking the terminals which might be loose.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts