Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all so I'm aware the bike has safety features to kill the engine or prevent it from starting such as having the stand down or trying to start the bike in gear without the clutch pulled, my problem is that the clutch system appears to not be working as with the clutch in or out the bike will only start in neutral. As you can imagine it's somewhat irritating, any simple fixes or do I go to Yamaha?

TIA

·
Registered
198 Posts
If kickstand is down, bike must be in Neutral regardless of clutch in or out.

If bike is not in neutral and side stand is up, clutch must be pulled in to start

I could draw a truth table of the logic but it's not worth my time. Often clutch switches do fail but I've never heard of R3 clutch switch problems. You could troubleshoot clutch switch problems by testing the first two statements of my post.

·
Super Moderator
1,308 Posts
Btw the kick stand / clutch / gearbox safety system saved my butt and my bike the other day ... first time I've accidentally tried to take off with the stand down since I started 3 years ago. "wtf why does the engine keep dying ..." D'OH imanidiot nobodysaw

·
Registered
196 Posts
since you have identified it is clutch related, the clutch position sensor is located on your clutch housing. verify it is plugged in and maybe follow the wiring

1 - 5 of 5 Posts