Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my bike (less than 400 miles) stopped starting when using the starter button. It sounds like it wants to turn over but then starts clicking really fast then the ECU loses power then starts back up as if I had just turned the key to the power on mode. It also displays an error code ER_1. At first I thought it was a bad battery (never noticed the error code), so I bought a battery tender and tried charging it over night. no luck. Next time I tried to start it I noticed the error code, and after reading up about the error code on R1, R6, and ATV forums, it apparently means there is a communication failure with the ECU..

I haven't done any major electrical work to the motorcycle except installing a Vagabond FE. Last night I took off the seat and checked all the connections I could find, and if any seemed loose I unplugged it and replugged it. Does anyone have any recommendations or any experiences with this problem? Should I just bring it in and have someone check for a faulty or frayed wire?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also detached the battery and re attached the connections just to make sure they were not loose and causing the problem. Also checked fuses in both the fuse box and the one where the red and black battery wires meet under the passenger seat storage tray

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Your bike should still be under warranty. Get it back to the dealer and let them handle it. Last thing you want is potentially creating another/larger issue and they refuse to fix it under warranty.

Dealers also should have a scan tool just like OBD for vehicles that they can hook up to diagnose any issues.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Was thinking also, when you get it back from the dealer, find out exactly what the issue was and what they did to remedy it and post up the info here for reference for future readers.

Theres many people whos warranties will run out sooner than later and if this particular problem crops up again you could save them a lot of time/money if the information is posted here.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was thinking also, when you get it back from the dealer, find out exactly what the issue was and what they did to remedy it and post up the info here for reference for future readers.

Theres many people whos warranties will run out sooner than later and if this particular problem crops up again you could save them a lot of time/money if the information is posted here.
Will do! Bringing it in tomorrow but will follow up

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quick update. Bike is still in the shop, they say it is a starter relay (part #:1WD-H1940-00-00) problem, and this is just to get the bike to power on when the key is in the ignition.. Part won't be in until Monday then I can continue to update.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How I feel about my R3 currently https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjivJBQxf58 I've owned the bike for 39 days (a week or so with the bike starting to give me problems) and now I'm on day 17 at the shop. By the time I get it back these numbers will be closer to even, and there will be snow on the ground.

Seriously this is starting to get ridiculous. After phone calls every day, my shop finally received the part yesterday and informed me today that it's now a battery problem.. They expect it to be another week before the replacement comes in. I should probably just go buy a new battery and get this **** done with, but its all covered by warranty and won't cost me a cent.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had the starter relay replaced and a new battery ordered all under factory warranty. it was a **** show (over 4 weeks in shop after 2 weeks of ownership), but haven't had any problems since

1 - 9 of 9 Posts