Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have this particular exhaust on there bike? And is it really illegal to have it on your R3?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Does anyone have this particular exhaust on there bike? And is it really illegal to have it on your R3?

I don't think so. I saw a NEW R1 with this exhaust for sale at the local Yamaha dealership 6 months ago here in Florida.

·
Registered
84 Posts
There may be a few exceptions, but basically all aftermarket exhausts are illegal in CA. The akraprovic slip on has a nice sound, no where near as loud as exhausts you hear on other bikes. IMO, you have a zero percent chance of an officer taking exception to it.

Reactions: SpearsRacing

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There may be a few exceptions, but basically all aftermarket exhausts are illegal in CA. The akraprovic slip on has a nice sound, no where near as loud as exhausts you hear on other bikes. IMO, you have a zero percent chance of an officer taking exception to it.

Yeah i ordered one the other day to increase the sound of my bike so people can actually hear me on these Los Angeles streets where all the CAGERS are more focused on there Phones then on the road, so in other words I shouldn't worry about being pulled over for the SLIP-On ?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Aftermarket exhausts are illegal in most states (if not all states?). But they are a grey area. You generally won't get busted just for riding normally around. If you give the cops a reason to pull you over- doing wheelies, riding like a jackass, speeding, etc., that's when they may or may not cite you for that illegal exhaust.

There are countless youtube motovloggers in CA riding around with "illegal" exhausts, they have incriminating proof uploaded to the web by the hundred thousands, yet nothing is done to them. That shows you its grey area-ness of legality. Cops don't care in general unless you give them the reason to care.

I guess there are certain states out there with a required inspection, I am assuming these are the states where one pays full attention to the aftermarket exhaust illegality status.

EDIT:

You are using a slip on. Those are not "illegal". Only the full system exhausts that removes the catalytic converter are "illegal".

·
Registered
199 Posts
Almost any mod in California is illegal. :p

But no, there's not much to be worried about. Just like mentioned above, unless you give them a reason to, you won't be pulled over. IMO, LA cops are pretty lax out here, they let people get away with a LOT around here.

Also, do know that a slip-on alone on these R3's don't make much noise. You have to get a full header or cut off the catalytic converter to make any noise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts