Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. Nee to the forum as I just bought a 2017 R3 about 2 hours ago 馃槀.
Currently the bike has an akropovik slip on but has the stock headers and cat. I want to get more sound out of my bike and have been tossing up to either buy some eBay headers or to just simply drill holes in the exhaust in a hidden area. I have heard I will whcive the same thing just one cost money and looks a bit better! Can I please get opinions or ideas on what I should do if I was to drill holes. Where do I drill the holes? Pre or post cat? Do I need a tune? Etc etc. Much appreciated

Registered
There is more engineering involved in the design of the stock exhaust system than you would ever be able to "improve" without a lot of know-how. For a street bike, it's best left alone. For a track/race bike, spend the money on a good full-exhaust system and the tuning that goes along with it.

Registered
Hey there. Nee to the forum as I just bought a 2017 R3 about 2 hours ago 馃槀.
Currently the bike has an akropovik slip on but has the stock headers and cat. I want to get more sound out of my bike and have been tossing up to either buy some eBay headers or to just simply drill holes in the exhaust in a hidden area. I have heard I will whcive the same thing just one cost money and looks a bit better! Can I please get opinions or ideas on what I should do if I was to drill holes. Where do I drill the holes? Pre or post cat? Do I need a tune? Etc etc. Much appreciated
Do not drill holes anywhere. You'll probably lose power and just invite rust into the exhaust. You'll also fail future vehicle inspections if they check it for exhaust leaks.

If you want loud, just buy a full exhaust off ebay. You can get one for about ~$150 AUD with the muffler, or $100 without.

Registered
There is more engineering involved in the design of the stock exhaust system than you would ever be able to "improve" without a lot of know-how. For a street bike, it's best left alone. For a track/race bike, spend the money on a good full-exhaust system and the tuning that goes along with it.
As 'GoFaster' has said, just stay with the slip on unit and leave the rest alone. Fitting a full system may make it louder or give you more 'Street Cred' but without the associated tuning, you will lose power.

Cheers B Lo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts