Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Out of curiosity why would you do this?
to change the rare tire, which will make bike lower, so I could stand with both feet on the ground (considering the fact that every other option to make it lower is already used)

·
Registered
124 Posts
That isn't the right way to achieve what you want to do. A shorter rear shock, in combination with modifications to the forks so that the front ride height is lowered by the same amount as the rear, is the right way to do it ... and no matter how you slice it, you are going to be compromising the amount of compression travel available in the front, so the less lowering, the better. The bike, and you, need to go to a local motorcycle suspension expert who knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yeah, generally going with a longer swingarm is something the boosted boys do because they think it looks cool. In actuality, it completely screws up the suspension geometry and kills cornering. Not only that, but adding a wider rear tire would necessitate a wider wheel as well, both of which would increase rotating mass and have a negative impact on both acceleration and corning. Even on boosted liter bikes this is dumb. I can only imagine what it would do to the R3. Keep the stretched swingarms for the drag bikes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for the information. I have read the thread “can it be lowered” I have a shorter rear shock and everything else from it except for shaved seat.
I was thinking to change rare tire to lower one, but master from local moto shop said that’s bad idea if swing arm will stay the same.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would recommend that you just get used to keeping your right foot on the rear brake (and at least a couple fingers covering the front brake can't hurt) when you come up to a stop and put your left foot on the ground -- leaning just slightly to the left. This is a much better way to be at a stop anyway, compared to having both feet on the ground.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts