Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been 3 weeks since I've had my bike and already experienced failed blinkers.
I observed my blinkers indicator on dash flashing faster than usual. Pulled over and saw my front right blinker was out and front rear blinker was flashing faster than usual.
I have no idea what's wrong but since it's under warranty, I am taking it to the dealer next week.
What concerns me is that I haven't even fiddled with any wiring yet and there seems to be some sort of an electrical issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
389 Posts
Check the bulb.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I will take it to the dealer this week and have them look at it.
Not being paranoid but just want them to make sure the electrical stuff is all good :). Losing a bulb in first couple of weeks is kind of a bummer! Lol

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the day I decided to take my bike to the dealer, blinkers started to work correctly. I tried on my way to work and back, the blinkers were just fine. I tried to replicate the issue but I haven't been able to yet.

Anyway, one thing is clear.. the bulb happens to be fine. However, there are times where my blinker indicator flashes faster than normal so I am guessing it's something to do with the wiring of right blinker wire. Left one seems to be fine.
My question is if there was ever an issue with flasher relay, wouldn't it affect both left and right? Any ideas on troubleshooting this?

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
My question is if there was ever an issue with flasher relay, wouldn't it affect both left and right? Any ideas on troubleshooting this?
That sounds like a good observation. The relay is probably fine then. Check the plugs and wiring on the side that is problematic.

Or maybe the relay is not sensing current properly, and one side has slightly less resistance (variance in bulbs, etc). Electrical can be tricky like that.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sounds like a good observation. The relay is probably fine then. Check the plugs and wiring on the side that is problematic.

Or maybe the relay is not sensing current properly, and one side has slightly less resistance (variance in bulbs, etc). Electrical can be tricky like that.

Thanks @xorbe. My bike will soon be going to the dealer so I will have them look at it then. Just wanted to make sure I can point the mechanics in the right direction if I am unable to replicate the issue while I am there :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
From what's been said so far, this seems like a connection problem with the front right blinker; although those connectors (NT-040) are engineered in a way as to not come loose, if you've ever had to have your fairings off for installing frame sliders or what have you, then it's possible the connector wasn't securely fastened afterward.

If you're proficient, you can take off the fairings yourself and check on them, but there's a lot of screws that have to come off so if you'd rather take it to a dealership, then ask them to check specifically for that.

·
Registered
761 Posts
If you're proficient, you can take off the fairings yourself and check on them, but there's a lot of screws that have to come off so if you'd rather take it to a dealership, then ask them to check specifically for that.
Only one inner panel needs to open up to access the signal wires and connections. 2 screws and one quarter turn fastener. Its a 2 minute access. I changed the signals twice using this method.

See the 1 minute mark below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89jDw2WRZ5I

·
Registered
54 Posts
Only one inner panel needs to open up to access the signal wires and connections. 2 screws and one quarter turn fastener. Its a 2 minute access. I changed the signals twice using this method.

See the 1 minute mark below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89jDw2WRZ5I
HAHA, I feel like an idiot now. :laugh: Every time I've done work on my signals I took every fairing piece off, but this actually makes a lot of sense and I am in your debt as you've saved me a lot of time from this point forward

·
Registered
761 Posts
HAHA, I feel like an idiot now. :laugh: Every time I've done work on my signals I took every fairing piece off, but this actually makes a lot of sense and I am in your debt as you've saved me a lot of time from this point forward
Don't feel bad. Some folks think you have to remove a bunch of fairings to change the windshield also! (You don't have to remove anything but the mirrors).

Glad to help,

Ride Safe!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I removed the left side fairing for doing my oil change. Haven't opened anything else. I haven't fiddled with any wires so far. In fact my fender eliminator is coming in tomorrow. Lol! Maybe I will have to check for wiring myself anyway .

·
Registered
175 Posts
It's been 3 weeks since I've had my bike and already experienced failed blinkers.
I observed my blinkers indicator on dash flashing faster than usual. Pulled over and saw my front right blinker was out and front rear blinker was flashing faster than usual.
I believe you meant right rear. lol

The standard flasher relay is set up to give a certain flash rate with a specific amp draw (two "working" incandescent bulbs). If you lose a bulb through bad filament/bad wiring or you change over to LED's, the result will be hyper flash due to the lower amp draw. The reason why signaling left was at the correct rate was because both of those bulbs are operable.

On a non modified bike, the hyper flash will draw your attention that one or both of your bulbs are not working (or wiring) and needs attention. Folks that have modified and are using an LED flasher relay will not get the warning that you did.

In any case, you will have to find the fault. Doubtful your dealer will give it a detailed inspection. Probably just flip the switch on and tell you "it works now".

I would start at the front bulb since that was the one you noticed not working, remove it, check the filament(s), wires at the bulb base need to line up with the metal surfaces of the socket and make firm contact when inserted. Check harness connector under inner right panel and ensure metal to metal contact here also. Follow the wiring as far into the midsection as possible looking for cuts. Hopefully you have found the issue and have to look no further. Opening up the wire harness would be a pain in the arse. Good Luck!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I believe you meant right rear. lol

The standard flasher relay is set up to give a certain flash rate with a specific amp draw (two "working" incandescent bulbs). If you lose a bulb through bad filament/bad wiring or you change over to LED's, the result will be hyper flash due to the lower amp draw. The reason why signaling left was at the correct rate was because both of those bulbs are operable.

On a non modified bike, the hyper flash will draw your attention that one or both of your bulbs are not working (or wiring) and needs attention. Folks that have modified and are using an LED flasher relay will not get the warning that you did.

In any case, you will have to find the fault. Doubtful your dealer will give it a detailed inspection. Probably just flip the switch on and tell you "it works now".

I would start at the front bulb since that was the one you noticed not working, remove it, check the filament(s), wires at the bulb base need to line up with the metal surfaces of the socket and make firm contact when inserted. Check harness connector under inner right panel and ensure metal to metal contact here also. Follow the wiring as far into the midsection as possible looking for cuts. Hopefully you have found the issue and have to look no further. Opening up the wire harness would be a pain in the arse. Good Luck!

You are right! Haha! Right rear it is :)
Thanks for the feedback. I know what to look for when I open up the panel to check it. Funny enough, I landed on other bike boards when I googled this and apparently there were other bikers with same right blinker issue whereas the left was fine! Lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts