Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Just seeing if anyone has advice on fairing repairs.
Not going to replace the fairings just for broken tabs would rather repair.

just seeing if anyone has already done this before or has any advice on repairing mounting tabs

Also not sure how I have broken 3, I’m assuming it’s possibly from when the bike was dropped slow speed a while back ( no damage other then a scratch on the exhaust)

Automotive tire Hood Sleeve Automotive exterior Automotive design

Hood Automotive tire Bicycle saddle Automotive design Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Hood Gas

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Trunk

·
Registered
128 Posts
if you dont want to replace you need to repair the plastic tabs with repair plastic, same plastic heat up and reglue.

·
Super Moderator
1,269 Posts
You can try Velcro-style adhesive backed tape. You may need to get creative and look for attachment points away from the original connections. This may or not hold the panels tight and proper. But I doubt you'll find a simpler fix that doesn't look worse than pooh on a white rag.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There are several approaches to make repairs. Most fairings are ABS plastic, so Acetone or Weldon 773 solvent can be used as a solvent weld if you have the missing parts. Bondo or JB Weld for plastic works to reinforce weakened structure or back up a repair. Plumber epoxy putty can be used to create tabs when none exist to glue back together. Plastex is another system for solvent welding and creation of missing tabs: PLASTEX, PLASTIC REPAIR KITS, FIX CRACKS, REPAIR PLASTIC. Another is to use a plastic welding iron and some ABS rod to repair the tab, but this takes some skill and can cause more damage if not done well. The easiest is to buy replacement parts, either used from ebay or new from many sources. In general, regular epoxies and adhesives not specifically designed for ABS plastic, are useless for fairing repair work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The missing tabs are the ones holding the clip on nut inserts for the outer closure panels. This involves several fairing sections, including the tail fairing. This is going to be very difficult to repair no matter how its approached. If the tab sections are gone, you will need to recreate them. If you know someone with a 3D printer that can print ABS plastic, you could design repair blocks to glue to the broken fairing using 3M 8115 Panel bond. I've made this sort of repair tab, including a few for Corvette bodies and motorcycle covers, it has saved a lot in replacing panels. I've also re-enforced weak tab sections to prevent them from breaking. Also, as a side note... Never work on plastic body parts at Temps below 50F, as cold Temps make them very brittle and susceptible to cracking.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Just replace the fairing no point in trying to repair the broken tabs. Not only do you have to repair the broken piece but you need to get it to fit correctly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There's a product called Q-Bond for plastic and metal you can purchase from Amazon that bonds together the tabs back on. Then file down, paint and holds the fairing back in place. Or they also sell a plastic heat gun kit with metal inserts if you have enough material to work with that joins it together. Here's the products I'm talking about: HPEVA 50W Plastic Welder,Hot Stapler Plastic Welding and Machine,Handy Hot Staple Gun Car Bumper Repair Kit,Bodywork Fender Fairing Welding Systems Include 4 Types Hot Wave Flat Staples(Blue) Amazon.com

K Tool International Q Bond Adhesive Kit, Repairs And Reinforces, Plastics, Metals KTI90002 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HX704NG/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_25N7WT1H27M9WP8F7ZRG

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you don't have the off tabs you can also build them up on the fairing piece with a mix of super glue and baking soda. Once they're big enough, file/sand to correct shape

1 - 9 of 9 Posts